38mm cirrus dart

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is dual deploy, and mounted in the drogue section, drogue section is just a kevlar harness, no wadding or anything like that at all... sounds like the 35mm film canister might be the way to go then, I should be able to fit it in there, but it would be much easier to just attach it to the harness, any ideas? What if I wraped it in tape, then used a short (2-3") piece of kevlar harness protector to cover it, and put tie wraps on the ends to keep it in place? That would be a pretty spiffy idea if you ask me...

Originally posted by jraice
Great... so no SMA... anybody have any pictures of how they attach it with tape? How do you protect it from the BP residue? Without the SMA, the antenna goes under the heat shrink tube to keep it from getting pulled off easily, correct...

The duct tape cocoon will keep it protected from the BP charge.

Put the Bee in line with the harness about 6" or more from the nose one. use wide duct tape and start wraping a duct tape spirl about the Bee and harness with about 3/4" spacing.

The duct tape method really protects it, but you have to be very carefull when you remove it ;-)

I remove my duct tape cocoon with an xacto knife and patience.

This is the only time I've pulled the antenna from my Bee, I wasn't careful the first time, and my bee didn't have the antenna folded back under the heat shrink. So when I took the tape off like a bandaid, quickly, it took the antenna with it !

I now take my time and don't have that problem any more :)

The film can is great protection as well, if you have room to fit it in your rocket. If it fits in and does not jam, then use it.

My beeline will be in the drogue bay, so I should put it as far down on the harness as possible, but so it still comes out into open air... So really the only thing the duct tape removal can damage is the antenna? It wont mess up any of the electronics? About how many layers of duct tape should I have around the beeline for "padding"?

Originally posted by jraice
My beeline will be in the drogue bay, so I should put it as far down on the harness as possible, but so it still comes out into open air... So really the only thing the duct tape removal can damage is the antenna? It wont mess up any of the electronics? About how many layers of duct tape should I have around the beeline for "padding"?

First, can you post your first name,

I assume it starts with a "J" and Raice is your last name ?

anyway, I would never want my Bee down as far in the harness as posssible, I like it up by the ebay, where I know it will come out.

But it sounds to me that you are using ebay mounted Charge containers and are concerned the BP bblast will hit your Bee?

I never liked ebay mounted charges for these and other reasons.

I use cardboard tubes on the ends of the ematch wires for my BP charges. I learned this from others. They used to be sold that way already made up by Robbies Rockets back in the day, and later Ross at Magnum made them up.

I just make them myself out of BT-3 tubes or plastic 1.5 centrifuge tubes. I like the plastic centrifuge tubes now the best. Real easy to make. Drill small hole in bottom with xacto knife, pull match though and seal hole with glue gun.

the ematch wire is brought out of the ebay and into the rocekt booster tube on say 36" long wires.

That way, my charges are down at the bottom of the rocket booster tube and pointed up to push things out. Not blowning things down.

You will see this described in your MAWD instruction book.

As for number of tape wraps,

I use one wrap of wide duct tape, with about 3/4" to 1" spacing as I spiral it down the harness and Bee.

I've not had the tape mess up the electronics on the Bee or other items I have done this with.

Jordan Raice and yes, I have the charge mounted on top, I have used this method on 4" J powered rockets all the way through a complex L 7" rocket... I like the simplicity, and it would be especially hard with the small size of this rocket... If I put it half way on the 20' long harness I would think it would be very likely that it gets out of the tube... that is what ground testing is for... The only way I could guarentee it gets out would be to put it above the main chute, but I would think that deployment event would be a lot rougher on the beeline, plus I wouldnt have a good signal until the rocket is almost on the ground (not to mention, what if the main charge fails to even fire)...

Back