3D Printing 29mm Von Karman nosecone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a 29mm nose cone I printed on my Prusa MK3. It's in PETG printed at .16mm layer height. The bottom 2/3rds looks very good but I started getting some blobs at it got towards the top. The tip printed very well and kept almost all its detail. I set the seam to random and increased the retract amount to 1.2mm but I think I may need to increase it a bit more. In person it looks really very good and will only take a little bit of work to get it nice and smooth. I'm going to experiment with some fillers to see if I can get something to fill the surface rather than having to sand it all down.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Tony

full nose cone:
5-1-Von-Karman-29mm.jpg

smooth base:
smooth-base.jpg

blobby tip:
blobs.jpg

I printed the coupler separately. It will hold the battery for a featherweight tracker. The tracker itself will ride in the nose come. The diameter is pretty close. Here it is on the body tube - you can see the coupler through the G10:

mounted.jpg

It's solid all the way through except for a small portion of the nose. I used the Slic3r cubic infill for that. It's about 1.75mm thick and seems quite sturdy. I'll eventually try a 38mm version but figured I'd get the 29mm one dialed in first. I made the model in OpenSCAD by simply subtracting a slightly smaller cone from the size I wanted to create the hollow interior. Of course with OpenSCAD by just changing a few variables I can alter both the size of the cone and the thickness of the wall. The coupler simply slides up into the nosecone and has a nice friction fit for now. Eventually it will be glued into place. It will also have two bosses(?) for screws so the bottom bulkhead can be easily removed.

Slowing down the print speed around halfway through the print would would improve the quality. I personally set my seam so that it is aligned which makes it easy to sand and creates a smooth consistent finish.

Actually I figured out what happened. The Prusa Editing of Slic3r allows you to adjust the line 'detail' vertically along the model when you slice it. I dialed up the detail at the tip of the nose cone to try and get a smoother surface and sure enough, that's where the blobs started. So next time I'll leave that alone.

I found I got much better results using a Radom seam. When it was set to aligned it created a very noticeable pattern. When set to random it was pretty much impossible to see. But that was for the nose cone. For other parts I'm sure the results vary.

Tony

CB33E4BF-B547-4C1D-B6BB-BE5DF44C739E.jpeg

I did one VK in 29mm in 2017 for university rocket project with custom interior geometry and had it SLS printed for a superior surface finish. I since made my own 24mm MD version for the x1.4 thread. Unfortantely after graduating I don’t have access to Solidworks anymore. I’ve tried FreeCAD but Solidworks literally ruined me. Trouble was they run about $50-60 each when SLS print by a contractor.

Both have been flight tested.

View attachment 372424

I did one VK in 29mm in 2017 for university rocket project with custom interior geometry and had it SLS printed for a superior surface finish. I since made my own 24mm MD version for the x1.4 thread. Unfortantely after graduating I don’t have access to Solidworks anymore. I’ve tried FreeCAD but Solidworks literally ruined me. Trouble was they run about $50-60 each when SLS print by a contractor.

Both have been flight tested.

Try out Fusion 360, it is very similar to Inventor/Solidworks. FDM printing is normally sufficient and it is MUCH cheaper. However, you can get some more reasonable pricing using nylon printers such as Shapeways.

Back