• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 18/20 Reloads (No Ignitors) and Casings at LDRS - Offers Welcome

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have the following AT 18mm reloads, all new in package except I appear to have cut small openings to remove the ignitors. I can't remember why I took the ignitors, but pricing accordingly (40% off retail):

D24-10T - $12.50
D24-7T - $12.50
D24-4T - $12.50
D13-10W - $12.50
D13-4W - $12.50

I have a pack of D13-7W that is open. Two reloads still in package, plus one reload in a ziplock bag. I also have two additional full reloads, the propellant looks like the White propellant. My best guess is that these are 5 D13-7W reloads - one pack of 3 that I opened, and two left over from my first 18/20 casing. (Hint: Flying a long thin rocket with a relatively large parachute and the biggest motor you can find on a very windy day = lost rocket). Anywho, $15 for all five.

Two 18/20 casings that appear to be brand new. No crud, no scratches, no residue or odor. $30 each.

Take the whole thing (my preference) for $120 (vs. 137.50) and I'll throw in the storage container that I kept them in.

Will also trade for 29mm+ AT cases/motors. Need at least one more 38mm case.

image_123927839 (2).JPGimage_123927839 (3).JPGimage_123927839 (1).JPG

I will consider selling the casings separately after LDRS, if they don't sell before. I can't ship reloads.

Thanks

Sorry. Can't remember if I had these when I lived in Falls Church, but probably would have thought I was going to fly them "real soon now." Do you fly with NOVAAR?
I've flown with NOVAAR but mostly flew MDRA cause of bigger rockets and I could fly research motors. I'm now out at Tech but still go to NoVA occasionally. Now I fly with NRVR and maybe soon VAST.

I'm assuming the motors were sold without ignitors because the ignitors got used on other motors where the first ignitor failed to light the motor...

So where (besides Aerotech) can you get the tiny diameter ignitors for these motors?

I'm assuming the motors were sold without ignitors because the ignitors got used on other motors where the first ignitor failed to light the motor...

So where (besides Aerotech) can you get the tiny diameter ignitors for these motors?
Had I picked them up, I would've just made my own ignitors. Otherwise you'll have to buy the aerotech ones that are $4 per. Though MJG may have some that work.

I pulled them out for something, wish I could remember what!

Besides Aerotech, you can dip your own. I've used clusterfire ignitors in the past, although the price of those has doubled in the last couple years. With shipping, their smallest ignitors probably run $3 each, which isn't much less than retail for Aerotech. Really odd, as their larger ignitors (E-H) are half the price. Still awesome if you want to cluster BP or 18mm AP motors though.

Wildman sells ingitors (lighters) that would work, and are probably the cheapest commercial option. https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/wildman-brand-lighters/products/tiny-lighters Apogee has a different dip-your own kit or two that might work. UROC used to have someone that would dip and sell ignitors to order at the launch site, but he passed away last year.

In short, multiple options exist

I know a guy who dips his own. Very thin, work every time. I have used them for years, I never use the ones that come with the kits.

Any white crusty stuff on the White Lightning grains? If so they will be hard to light. (Sand before assembling.) Blue Thunder will not degrade although the delays may be short if they are not in a separate anti-static bag.

Rocketjunkie is preaching the gospel as far as I'm concerned. Old grains fly well if properly prepped, but they may need a little TLC.

The only thing I would add is that if the motor aggressively chuffs on the pad due to poor prep (i.e., not just a popped igniter, but it tries to light a bit and then shuts down one or more times), then don't just replace the igniter and go for it, but pull the rocket, disassemble the motor and check what burned and what didn't. When a rocket chuffs, sometimes the delay grain lights a bit and cycling 1 or more times gives you an unexpectedly short delay. It really is lame when you have to put 2-3 igniters in and then when the rocket finally launches it blows the nosecone on the way up, probably damaging the rocket in a big way.

But, a little TLC on the grain surface when building an old motor helps it light the first time. I completely defer to the experience of more seasoned fliers on the issues with the delay (Blue Thunder vs other vs bag etc.). If it is old, I usually fly electronic deploy or use a new delay, but that's just me.

This isn't meant to say 'don't fly older reloads.' Just pay attention and get a good flight. I was planning on flying a 2008 motor today, but rain cancelled the launch. I'll fly it next month and it will fly fine.

Sandy.

Back