• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Trailing Edge Technologies 'Estate' sale (DFW Area)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbturner24

Reaction score
Hello all,

Some of you may have known my mom & dad, James (Jim) & Sharon Turner who lived in the DFW area. My father passed away 20+ years ago and we recently lost my mom to cancer.

My parents ran a rocketry supply business (Trailing Edge Technologies) consisting of Aerotech, Dr. Rocket, homemade ignitors and many other items before his passing and my mom kept it going for a few months/years later.

However, after deciding not to continue with the business, my mother did NOT liquidate her inventory. It was packed away in boxes/crates/magazines and has been stored since. As my brother and I have been going through her house to prepare for an Estate Sale we have come across all this merchandise.

1st question: Is any of this stuff still useable or valuable? We assume the propellants that have been stored away in magazines may not be any good along with likely needing an ATF license to sell like they did. However, we have dozens of reusable motor casings that are still in the package or wrapped in the styrofoam protectors from the manufacturer, all brand new or I guess new old stock.

2nd question: If the model rockets, motor casings (along with all the hardware), misc items still have value...how would we go about pricing these? My brother and I are in no way looking to sell for retail or anything like that, but would like to get a fair price for the items. We have thought about listing the items on Ebay or Facebook Marketplace to see if they get any hits, but this forum is much better target audience for information on items like this.

I would be happy to take inventory of all the items and add to this post if that would help, but I have attached a couple pictures to give you a better idea of what the items are.

Any help would be much appreciated!! 20230122_204158215_iOS.jpg20230122_204227840_iOS.jpg20230122_204257915_iOS.jpg20230122_204243078_iOS.jpg

First - Sorry for your family's loss.

The casings you are holding in your hand are a easy/quick sell at the right price.

Reloads may be difficult as you won't be able to ship. However, they may be of value to the rocket glider community.

Although not interested myself, I am more than willing to help price them so you can know what to ask. If you want to sell theM on our yardsale forum, I can help arrange access. If you cant help, just send me a private message of conversation.

Very sorry for your loss. I wondered what happened to the company as I bought my red anodized Dr Rocket 29mm and 54mm motor casings from Trailing Edge. I believe that I also bought my reloads for the J350 I did my Level 2 cert with and the K550 that I did after that. Can't remember about the J350 which was at a launch in McGreggor, but the K550 was delivered to the launch site at the North Texas High Power launch in Bonham back in 2001

I would definitely be interested in the inventory as I sadly sold the 54mm casings after I got out of the hobby after it got so hard to buy motors right after 9/11

If you need someone local to come and asses what you have, I’ll be happy to assist. I’m in west FTW area.

There are three or four of us in the DFW area who would gladly take those Motors noted as RC as they are unicorns.

Very sorry for your loss. Sounds like your parents helped out the rocket community quite a bit.

Most if not all of it will still carry value. Also, there is no ATF restriction on selling the propellent, but there is DOT restrictions on shipping the propellent. But with the number of locals in rocketry, you probably won't have a hard time selling them in the area. I won't be able to help on pricing them much, but I am really interested to see the inventory.

Your father, Jim Turner, was a really positive influence on the hobby in the DFW area and beyond. He was also very supportive and helpful to me and many others as we got started in the hobby. I got my start around 2000, and I still have several motors and reloads that I purchased from Jim way back then.

I am interested in the 75 mm motor hardware and perhaps other items. We have a very active group here in North Texas and would be happy to advise you. There is value in what you have.

Michael Smart

Your father, Jim Turner, was a really positive influence on the hobby in the DFW area and beyond. He was also very supportive and helpful to me and many others as we got started in the hobby. I got my start around 2000, and I still have several motors and reloads that I purchased from Jim way back then.

I am interested in the 75 mm motor hardware and perhaps other items. We have a very active group here in North Texas and would be happy to advise you. There is value in what you have.

Michael Smart
Like Michael, Jim was instrumental in my start in the hobby. After I got to know him, I remember visiting him at the house and watching him make famous igniters. It was a big loss to our hobby when he passed. As mentioned, there are a lot of fliers in the DFW area who can help you value what you have. My guess is you can sell all the motors locally without having to ship any. Likely the same with the hardware.

Condolences on the loss of Sharon as well. I saw her a couple of times after Jim passed and just thought of how hard it must have been for her.

Good luck with everything,

Tony.

Both Michael and Sharon were helpful to me in my move back to rocketry. I am sorry for your loss, and let me know if I can help in any way.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know this process is not easy, but I think you found a good outlet to help get reasonable value.

If I were you, I'd take @H_Rocket up on his offer for evaluation, as selling the reloads will require people knowing people who are in a similar location. Don't get me wrong, some of the reloads may eventually end up in someone's hands on the East Coast, as rocketeers often are willing to transport/hand-off things going from one launch to another when shipping is not allowed without hazmat. Just a thought.

Also, if there are any kits, those sometimes go up in value, not down, so definitely don't just throw something away if it has a $9 price tag on it. @cwbullet 's offer to help with pricing and/or posting on the forum will be helpful as well, as most people around here know him just a bit. . . :)

Lastly, as @rocketace pointed out above, you don't need to worry about ATF issues as far as storage or selling the motors, but shipping is still a DOT problem. That's where the option of handing them off to locals who fly with a club can eventually get them from point A to point B without breaking any rules.

Again, sorry that you have to go through this process, but if you have a little extra space to temporarily store items, it could be financially beneficial vs. just 'EVERYTHING MUST GO!'

Sandy.

I'd like to know what reloads and single use motors you have in 29/38/54mm sizes. For the right price, driving to pick up isn't out of the question (I'm in NW SC).

Hello all,

Some of you may have known my mom & dad, James (Jim) & Sharon Turner who lived in the DFW area. My father passed away 20+ years ago and we recently lost my mom to cancer.

My parents ran a rocketry supply business (Trailing Edge Technologies) consisting of Aerotech, Dr. Rocket, homemade ignitors and many other items before his passing and my mom kept it going for a few months/years later.

However, after deciding not to continue with the business, my mother did NOT liquidate her inventory. It was packed away in boxes/crates/magazines and has been stored since. As my brother and I have been going through her house to prepare for an Estate Sale we have come across all this merchandise.

1st question: Is any of this stuff still useable or valuable? We assume the propellants that have been stored away in magazines may not be any good along with likely needing an ATF license to sell like they did. However, we have dozens of reusable motor casings that are still in the package or wrapped in the styrofoam protectors from the manufacturer, all brand new or I guess new old stock.

2nd question: If the model rockets, motor casings (along with all the hardware), misc items still have value...how would we go about pricing these? My brother and I are in no way looking to sell for retail or anything like that, but would like to get a fair price for the items. We have thought about listing the items on Ebay or Facebook Marketplace to see if they get any hits, but this forum is much better target audience for information on items like this.

I would be happy to take inventory of all the items and add to this post if that would help, but I have attached a couple pictures to give you a better idea of what the items are.

Any help would be much appreciated!! View attachment 559569View attachment 559570View attachment 559571View attachment 559572
My condolences to you and your family for your loss.

When you've gone through the inventory, I would be interested in any 38 mm or 54mm hardware motor cases (Aerotech). You can PM me anytime. Thank you.

Gary

1st off, thank you to the MANY people that have reached out with condolences and offers to assist.

Unfortunately we had other priorities come up last weekend that kept me from sorting through all the inventory. My brother and I will get over and go through it this weekend and I'll report back.

1st off, thank you to the MANY people that have reached out with condolences and offers to assist.

Unfortunately we had other priorities come up last weekend that kept me from sorting through all the inventory. My brother and I will get over and go through it this weekend and I'll report back.

Please don't feel that you need to rush through this. Family comes first...always!.

Condolences on your loss.

I used some of Jim's igniters when we flew in Windom, TX. Have you contacted any of the DARS officers at www.dars.org? We have a club meeting this Saturday in Flower Mound. We may be able to also help with valuation of the inventory items.

Chas

Condolences... I am still not done mourning my folks and they went home a decade+ and two+ ago now.

Don't worry!! :)

I just drove to Bass Pros Shops to meet up for a motor purchase..... I can do it again. :cool:

Inventory up all the stuff and post it.... :clapping:

Chances are the Norte Tejas folks will snap up pretty much all of it....

But I am a likely buyer of motors in 29mm and up.... I am also a buyer of motor hardware in 38mm and up.
Pretty sure among the lot of us, we can help you resolve your "extra stuff" issues.:D 👍

PS - eBay and Paypal will eat you alive. No need to enrich them at your expense. Should easily be able to find buyers here or at the local clubs/prefect in DFW area... big HPR group over that way I hear. :)

Last edited:
I will add mine to the long list of condolences here; it hurts. At 94+ I still have my mother, but Dad went at just over 94 a few years ago. You folks must've been wonderful just reading about the positive impact they've had among the folks here.

I'm a small-time guy, but Aerotech 24 mm RMS cases would be my next step up. I hope your sale goes very well, I'll be watching. But as @conneryc said, family first!

PS - eBay and Paypal will eat you alive. No need to enrich them at your expense. Should easily be able to find buyers here or at the local clubs/prefect in DFW area... big HPR group over that way I hear. :)
First off, My condolences to the family.

Second off,
Nothing wrong with eBay as it will bring the most money. If someone wants it bad enough they will pay. Trust me as I know. I have a storage unit full of vintage Husqvarna motorcycles and parts that put me in heavy debt for some time. As soon as I get a building put up I will be able to empty out one of my storage units and sort out over two hundred rocket kits that I bought in the eighties and nineties and two thousands and will be putting them up on eBay but that will be next year.

First off, My condolences to the family.

Second off,
Nothing wrong with eBay as it will bring the most money. If someone wants it bad enough they will pay. Trust me as I know. I have a storage unit full of vintage Husqvarna motorcycles and parts that put me in heavy debt for some time. As soon as I get a building put up I will be able to empty out one of my storage units and sort out over two hundred rocket kits that I bought in the eighties and nineties and two thousands and will be putting them up on eBay but that will be next year.

eBay will almost certainly NOT bring the "most" money (not on a NET basis).
eBay takes 10% off the top plus.... PayPal takes a bite... Shipping eats into the potential profit.

AND you have to write a LISTING for every single auction. As opposed to putting a listing with pictures here in ONE thread for a targeted audience.

Motors CANNOT be sold on eBay unless you specify "pickup only" which makes it hardly worth the effort.

YOUR situation is COMPLETELY different from an estate sale....

Last edited:
eBay will almost certainly NOT bring the "most" money.
eBay takes 10% off the top plus.... PayPal takes a bite... Shipping eats into the potential profit.

AND you have to write a LISTING for every single auction. As opposed to putting a listing with pictures here in ONE thread for a targeted audience.

Motors CANNOT be sold on eBay unless you specify "pickup only" which makes it hardly worth the effort.

YOUR situation is COMPLETELY different from an estate sale....
Actually, eBay does bring more money. A lot of people overbid.

Back