---

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but isn't that old. My LHS, which is within 2 miles of ACSupply Co. (in St. Charles), still has one on their shelf.

As a side note, I did talk to ACSupply (they're within a few miles of me here at Boeing) and they're in the dark as well as to what Estes may release in May. I may be wrong, but it looks as if it's going to be a lackluster, remainder of the, year for releases from Estes . . .

Then again, if I want an R/C airplane I don't depend on Estes, I go to the "real" hobby people - so no biggie.

This kit was out 1997-2002 does it say somewhere that it's being re-released?

Notice it says New in Stock instead of NEW. Probably just moving old inventory around.

Good call.

With all the lack of info on new kits somebody needs to start some rumors. Maybe last year was it and there isn't much coming for 50:surprised:

That's where I'm leaning . . .

. . . if Estes couldn't come out with the 50th Anniversary of the Golden Scount (thank you again RD and Semroc), then I have low expectations.

From what I gather, Estes is starting do disappoint some folks...? :(

You can't be disappointed, if you don't have expectations . . . If I want real kits, I go to "real" dealers - so no biggie.

I suppose that's one reason my next kit is going to be a Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b or Saturn V. I get tired of seeing and buying the same old kits all the time...such as I have 5 220 Swifts and 6 Quarks...although I do like them they tend to get monotonous. Not to mention over priced.

Looking at that list from AC Supply why would they discontinue the Canadian arrow and keep the Cosmo Mariner? I mean the canadian arrow can be bashed into a lot of different rockets, you can launch it over and over again. The Cosmo Mariner average lifespan is a launch,ok maybe a few more, but still do the people who decides what comes out even launch a rocket or gone to a rocket launch? What happen to Estes, they had so many great rockets years ago when I was young but now its all those crappy plastic models and very few cool ones.

Mark

Drum roll please. A classic 50th anniversary re-issue;):

Mark -- you had me worried there for a moment. But, as long as the subject is "Astrosat LSX" ... here is mine. The nose cone was used, and the motor retainer. All else was thrown away!

Sadly, this nose cone is totally wasted on a pretty pathetic excuse of a rocket, in my opinion. It really belongs on something more imaginative, or futuristic.

Looking at that list from AC Supply why would they discontinue the Canadian arrow and keep the Cosmo Mariner? I mean the canadian arrow can be bashed into a lot of different rockets, you can launch it over and over again. The Cosmo Mariner average lifespan is a launch,ok maybe a few more, but still do the people who decides what comes out even launch a rocket or gone to a rocket launch? What happen to Estes, they had so many great rockets years ago when I was young but now its all those crappy plastic models and very few cool ones.

Mark

===why would they discontinue the Canadian arrow and keep the Cosmo Mariner?

Why? Because they made too many and they need to sell 'em. Too many special parts that are specific to it. So they'll keep it in the catalog until they sell the inventory.

===do the people who decides what comes out even launch a rocket or gone to a rocket launch?

That is a good question. I sometimes wonder when kits come out like the SpaceshipOne that was unstable as originally released. But I've been assured that they do, that sometimes things get mistranslated between the designers and China.

===What happen to Estes, they had so many great rockets years ago when I was young but now its all those crappy plastic models and very few cool ones.

Unfortunately I think this may be an example of good old capitalism and market forces. We, the market that cares about rocketry, is a hundred or even a thousand times smaller than the market that is just fine with those crappy plastic models.

Roy, I think you are exactly right. With the lack of hobby stores, the only place to sell large numbers of kits is the walmarts of the world. If you want to sell to them, you have to design to their demographics. That is certainly not the rocketeer that is typically heard on TRF.

I blame video games.:(
I have 7 year old twin boys.:D
I think of all the things I did and played with as a kid, and all they want to do is play video games.:mad:
I was a lego kid. While they will play with Lego, They'd rather play video games.:surprised:

Estes hasn't realized many of us have the skills to build really complicated rockets, and until they realize that, they are going to pump out more silly snap-together plastic rockets and fewer good, real rockets.

Estes needs to hear this and they need a drastic inventory overhaul. Enough with the plastic clones!!!

I've never understood why Estes would release then drop the 2.6" V-2.

That is the classic, "What a rocket should look like." model.

Almost every spaceship in the 1950's movies were based on the V-2.

Not just for that but also its historical perspective.

The V-2 should remain in Estes line permanently!

OK, I'll shut up now!:eek:

Soap box down - step up . . .

I think people forget, including myself at times, that Estes, provides an invaluable service to our hobby - to introduce people into rocketry. Honestly though, that's it - that's what they accomplish!

It's been said time-and-time again, that Estes is now a toy company. It's not the model company that Vern and Gleda founded some approximately 50 years ago. They've moved on and they don't listen to hobbyists, they listen to marketing and financial consultants - pure and simple. Again, though, this is an invaluable service as they do introduce people to the hobby/sport.

I said it above a couple of times, if I want an r/c airplane, car, boat, or other type of rocket I go to my local hobby store (LHS). They cater to the craft hobbies.

As for the video generation, as much as I'm part of this with my own son, it's simply an evolution; like the car, radio, tv, computer, etc. Mark Bundick said it at NARCON this year, according to the association that overseas hobby stores (?) craft hobbies, in general, are on a dramatic decline. We can sit here and laminate those 'good 'ole days' but, the newer generation simply is not interested in them. Even with my own son, I can't get him to build a simply AMA Sig Cub (intro rubberband model) or an E2X rocket. His interest lies elsewhere and I've had to grown and accept that. His interests are not mine and it's up to my to accept that, not him. Again, it's an evolution.

I talked to my grandparents, when they were alive, and they though the radio took away too much from daily life, as people didn't focus as much on other things. And when TV came out, it went even further. It's an evolution.

Currently, I have about eight totes of rockets awaiting to be built and seven to ten r/c models (Top Flite, scratch plans, etc.) awaiting to be built. Those are my interests. My son enjoys his WII games and I accept him for that. My way of investing in my son, and daughter, is to do things that they like - I show interest in what they like so I can grow closer to them. If I was to force them into rockets, r/c, etc. I'd never see them and we'd grow distant. Occassionally, they'll join me for lunch or something at the flying field and that's okay.

I remember my father kinda pressured me into muzzeloading competition as a kid. If you were involved in muzzleloading in the '70s/early '80s would remember me. However, around jr. high, I got interested in endurance cycling (bicycling). My dad thought it was stupid and didn't contribute to anything. Consequently, he never rode a bike with me once and I don't ever recall ever seeing him on a bicycle. I went on (as a teenager) to ride all of Highway 1 from Medicino country to S.Cal. one summer, I rode from SFO to Yosemite and back, and I rode 800 miles in 8 days in Europe. He was never there once, except to pick me up at the end of a ride. Consequently, our relationship is strained and I have, basically, never hunted since leaving home.

So instead of laminating what Estes has or has not done, appreciate what we have as choices have never been better. There are more vendors and kits out there than I could ever hope to build. Also enjoy your children for who and what they are - regardless of their interests.

Your family is the greatest investment you can make, and there's no amount of success outside of the home will ever compensate for what you can do in your home.

Step down, pick up soap box, and depart . . .:D

Watch soap box depart... :congrats::congrats::congrats:

I completely agree. Estes is putting out toys that will draw people into the hobby. The rocket market for hobbiest isn't that big, certainly not near as big as the toy rocket market.

I buy Estes motors. I only get the kits when I find a good sale and have a good idea on a kit bash. That's OK!

Sandman, as for Estes discontinuing the V2, I think you hit it on the head. It is a classic 1950s type rocket. There's very few people in the toy rocket market that even has a clue what a 1950s rocket looks like. They want the Star Wars fighters etc. Even the Star Trek stuff is a little to old for most of them.

Thankfully there are a number of companies out there that do cater to the hobbist (that remembers the 1950s) and the internet allows us to find and easily buy from them. I can't imagine many of them would be in business if it weren't for internet sales.

BTW, you might want to consider buying some of those RTF type kits when you can find them cheap. It's always nice to have a few so you can give the kids at the launches something to fly that you don't care if they "learn a lesson" with. There are always a few kids around without rockets that are just thrilled to be able to fly a rocket. If you help Estes out, you might be surprised how many show up at later launches with rockets of their own, and not always another RTF.

Yea, my dad couldn't understand why I wanted to do technological things like rockets or photography. He wanted me to farm or at least go into the military (though in both he wanted me to be more of the theoretician instead of the front line... constantly feeding me reports of genetics and statistics on hybrid tomatoes, or sitting around the kitchen table analysing Patton's moves.) He did agree with my obsession with computers (his boss in Animal Husbandry started the computer center at UGA 50+ years ago).

Yes, Estes does still provide the spark, they just leave it to us to fan the flames (puns possibly intentional... I'll get back to you on that). I guess I'm ok with that. Just wish they'd be a bit more supportive to the hobby aspects.

Estes supplied about 1100 rockets for the RCX show this year (750 shipped new and 350+ left over from last year). The Hobby People chain of hobby shops (REAL hobby shops) sponsored this and helped make it happen.

This show is primarily R/C cars with some boats and airplanes. Our NAR Section supplied the staffing (volunteers) to run the make & take booth and they did a fantastic job of helping over 750 poeple build an E2X style Bandit type rocket properly. The people were there for other hobbies, but this exposed them to Model Rocketry and they loved it. We gave everyone a copy of our club launch info and launch dates for all of 2008 and they also got the Hobby People info: website, what to buy (A8-3 motors, wadding).

We had enough excellent help this year that we were able to show each class group how to PROPERLY attach a parachute and how to fold it so that it opens perfectly every time.

There is a large trade show this week in Las Vegas. I would "bet" that if it is possible to announce known upcoming products that they will do so there.
https://www.nrhsa.org/
https://www.nrhsa.org/calendar/convention.cfm
https://www.nrhsa.org/calendar/2008flyer.pdf

I wonder what Quark's Bar will look like this week?

I win the bet. See vendor forum for the ever expanding thread on this subject.

Back