---

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the first time I've seen one of those other than in catalog pictures.

Unlike some others, I think it's pretty cool. I don't know if I'll pick one up, but it looks like a neat idea.

Thanks for the great pictures ! I ordered one last week, to launch with my niece who is visiting frm California next week.

SS

I'm not much into the odd rocks, but this was the first one that caught my daughter's eye when the new catalog came out. I figured, what the heck, if I see one at the LHS, I'll get it for her. The shop got a couple in a while back, and I looked at the two halves of orange styrofoam in the package, and I just couldn't do it. I don't know why, but seeing foam in a rocket kit(other than a glider) just turned me off. I know it's a great material for odd rocket modeling, but I just kept picturing a piece of foam with dents, worn off paint, or a few hunks missing out of it after a few flights. Was also quite a bit smaller than I had imagined.

Looks great in those pictures though. Great in-flight shots!

Originally posted by foose4string
I'm not much into the odd rocks, but this was the first one that caught my daughter's eye when the new catalog came out. I figured, what the heck, if I see one at the LHS, I'll get it for her. The shop got a couple in a while back, and I looked at the two halves of orange styrofoam in the package, and I just couldn't do it. I don't know why, but seeing foam in a rocket kit(other than a glider) just turned me off. I know it's a great material for odd rocket modeling, but I just kept picturing a piece of foam with dents, worn off paint, or a few hunks missing out of it after a few flights. Was also quite a bit smaller than I had imagined.

Looks great in those pictures though. Great in-flight shots!

Fosse than go to a dollar store and pic up one of the little light plastic ball and bat sets. Makes a wonderful ODD-ROC conversion.
Mines a little different than a straight Pop-Fly type model, as it's set up for Night flights with a slighly more Halloween theme it's called the "Ol'e BallBAT Scream" but fly's great on a D12-3 with the ball lighting up bight with RED leds and blue leds on the transparent blue painted lexan fins. :D

Those are great photos. Neat looking rocket :)
Cheers
fred

Did anyone catch the ball after any of your launches ? Does the ball have a streamer or something attached ?

Thanks, SS

At first, this kit did not interest me at all. However, having seen your pictures of it in flight, I have to admit that it would be fun to fly (especially if there are kids watching).

Mine was waiting outside my door when I came home today. Looks like a cool rocket, and the plastic fins feel really strong. I wish the fins that they made for the R2-D2 were this thick. I am confident these will survive any landing with the parachute. Here's a content picture.

qwertyyyyy.jpg

SS

qwertyyyyy.jpg

I have this kit and I really like it. I have not been able to catch the ball either.

If I build another one of these, I would paint the lower tube flat black to match the fin unit and to give it some moisture resistance as otherwise the tube tends to become fuzzy if wet.

I found this out after it got caught in the rain. Luckily it dried out with no problems and I was able to get the fuzzies off.

Also, Testor's makes a wood colored spray paint if you wanted it to look more like a real baseball bat. I would do this next time as well.

Overall, Estes did a great job on this kit and I would highly recommend it.:D

Back