---

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll wait to here what makes it a G. Harry limited edition. maybe they're going to include a copy of the Nike Smoke date and drawing that's been part of the Handbook of Model rocketry since the first edition and/or is part of the NARTS data pack?
As for the model, I sincerely hope they've corrected the nose cone dies. as the last few I've seen the two pieces didn't mate up will at all.
I think I have a couple sets in my nose cone box that were just to nasty to mess with.
After a lot of filling it wasn't a very pretty job even after adding fill and discharge tubes and other "details" to the about 1/12th semi-Scale kit.

Originally posted by Micromeister
After a lot of filling it wasn't a very pretty job even after adding fill and discharge tubes and other "details" to the about 1/12th semi-Scale kit.

You have really high standards. That looks awesome to me.

Originally posted by uncle_vanya
You have really high standards. That looks awesome to me.

Thanks! Your way to kind:
if you saw the model just a little closer you'd see the nose cone seam that runs the entire length of the nose is actually Flattened out a good bit on one side and slightly indented on the other due to the incredible mismatching of the seams. It got to the point I had completely removed (ground off) one of the the three handhole cover plates, which had to be refishioned out of very thin styrene stock.
I never got the other horizontal seam lines re-etched to match the molded lines, nor could I get the ground down side to round out enough not to DRAW the eye right to it:(
the good thing is as a stand off scale...The further off you are the better it looks... it flys really well on B and C motors:)

Nice find MarkH. It will be interesting to see if it is a Quest website online purchase only item, which will effectively make it a US only release. :(

If that's the case Skippy, you know you've got friends here on the forum, and perhaps even vendors here who will be able aquire and ship one to you.:)

Originally posted by foose4string
If that's the case Skippy, you know you've got friends here on the forum, and perhaps even vendors here who will be able aquire and ship one to you.:)

That is my fall back plan! :p

Hopefully Quest will make them available through other vendors like Discount Rocketry.

Its the first in a series of limited run kits. Look for an ad on the outside cover of Launch magazine next week!:D

Originally posted by Micromeister
I'll wait to here what makes it a G. Harry limited edition. maybe they're going to include a copy of the Nike Smoke date and drawing that's been part of the Handbook of Model rocketry since the first edition and/or is part of the NARTS data pack?

I got one of Quest's later versions, with the screw-on motor retainer ring and fins that slide into slots on the fin can. It came with the data sheets. It's the same size as this "new/old" version. The "story" part of the data sheets had a glaring error. It said the rocket was launched at an angle of X degrees, which is Y degrees from vertical. X and Y added up to 100.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Its the first in a series of limited run kits. Look for an ad on the outside cover of Launch magazine next week!:D
Cool! It's great to see that other rocket companies are bringing back old kits of theirs other than Estes.

Just put in an order for 2 of them, one to build, one to admire. Thanks for the tip.

maybe quest will bring back limited editions UPSCALES of GH Stine's AstroScale series of rockets from 1969? ... Something for the Quest D18 to loft!!!!

Arcas
Nike-Smoke
ASP
Black Brant III
Tomahawk
Astrobee 1500

Also I wish Quest would bring back some of the old MRC and MPC kits.....limited edition or not....

terry dean
nar 16158

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
Also I wish Quest would bring back some of the old MRC and MPC kits.....limited edition or not....
Quest never had any of the MRC stuff. Rogue Aerospace bought out the MRC parts when they got out of the rocketry business. The molds were destroyed. Rogue Aerospace sold off the remaining MRC inventory a couple years ago when they closed up shop. There were promises of this anonymous buyer bringing back the old MRC kits, but that has yet to happen, if ever. I'm unsure why someone would buy all those parts and pay all that money and then just sit on the stuff. One of lifes great mysteries I guess.

I would prefer NEW upscale MRC or MPC kits.... forget the old stuff..... You would sell alot more D18 if you had some nice mid-range 3-4 ft rockets to put it in...

terry dean
nar 16158

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the "heads up".

I had placed an order earlier in the day, called them back after I read your post and the great folks at Quest let me to add 2 of the GHS Nike-Smokes to the previously placed order!

BTW, Quest is having a great "warehouse clearance" sale. Get you some Aerobee 300s for 4 bucks a pop. As always, no hazmat on engines or igniters if you let them ship via the USPS.

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
I wonder if this means we might see those plastic vostoks and titan 3-c's 1?

terry dean
nar 16158

I've been trying to find out whatever happened to those molds. I've contacted several people who I thought would know [from the days of AVI] and even they don't know where they went. Just about everything else MPC has resurfaced in one form or another but those 2 kits. I snagged a Titan III kit several years ago, but the Vostocks that I occasionally see on e-bay go for more $$ than I'm willing to pay and besides, I'd like to fly it!

I have an old nose cone (unassembled) that I got from someone who was leaving the hobby. So I had been planning on leaving trying to scratch build the rest. Since the limited edition kit is only $10, maybe I'll buy the whole kit. In which case, the funny thing is that I'll still wind up with a nose cone without a rocket to go along with it.

Very glad to see that Quest is doing classic re-issues.

DeWain

How does this kit compare to the old Centuri Nike Smoke? I just picked up one of those on ebay, it has a two piece vacuum formed nose cone and balsa fins. I'm planning to build it.

I got a shipping confirm email from Quest 2 day ago on my two....will probably see them next week.

terry dean
nar 16158

Got mine 2 days ago. I'll post the pictures from the build.
Here it is in the nice numbered box.
nikesmoke1.jpg

here are all of the parts
nikesmoke2.jpg

I plan to build both the rocket and the stand. My first impression is that there seems to be much too much plastic. I'm old school and like balsa but it's still a nice looking kit. I love the extras - the blueprint, history sheet and stand plans.

Quest never had any of the MRC stuff.

really? then how did I get 200+ motors with a Quest wrapper - under the wrapper, the motor case clearly says MRC?

oh yeah, back OT - the GHS kit looks great except the nose cone has those dimples.

Ok finished the rocket Friday and finished the stand last night. The stand as per instructions is simply made of foam board. I substituted using a spare launch rod with a simple small wooden dowel.
nsmoke-stand.jpg

Nice looking Smoke LG! I just found an older one hanging in the bag at a hobby shop in VA this past weekend. I'll probably build the bagged version, and leave my limited edition boxed up for a while(if it ever gets here);) .

I got kit #85 with the generous help of Mike Scopone. :D

The nosecone is the same quality as the one on the Quest Nike Smoke Quick-Kit, so I have had practice filling the seam gaps and ejection pin marks. :p Looks like a fun kit, and the blueprint is fantastic.

Good value for money. Nicely done Quest!

Back