---

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that launch was really slow and low. It looked really cool. It actually gives you time to observe it...:D Next time, I think you should use AP (maybe an E15 or an F24) for a faster velocity. It looked too slow for the fins to be very effective, mainly because of the wobble during the flight.

Most V-2's are marginally stable anyway (even the real ones!).
That's why the Germans had to design the control vanes near
the exhaust duct. For my clone of the Centuri V-2 I built recently,
I made sure to add nose weight and slightly canted the fins so
it'll have a slight spin during boost.

I think the launch was great. I like low and slow as you can see the whole flight well.
Cheers
fred

That was a great video..:cool: ..just hope my bash of the new Estes Canadian Arrow into a Bumper-8 scale flies as well.

What is the BT size? Looks like a BT-80, which is what I have.

I plan to launch it progressivly on D12-5, E9-4, then my E18 reload.

Here it is with my fleet...

The still of the rocket is beautiful, but when I try to view the video it plays with the color totally distorted - I can barely make out the outline of the rocket. This has also happened with some other online video files, but others play just fine. Any suggestions as to what's wrong and how I can correct it?

Originally posted by Balsa Bob
The still of the rocket is beautiful, but when I try to view the video it plays with the color totally distorted - I can barely make out the outline of the rocket. This has also happened with some other online video files, but others play just fine. Any suggestions as to what's wrong and how I can correct it?

Hummm..plays okay on mine..have you updated your Windows Media Player lately?...This is a .wmv file type..

F12 Black Jack reloads are great for maxibrutes. Gives a slow takeoff, but it keeps going with a nice long smokey burn.

I've flown my Estes V2 several times on AT F21's. Great flights but also corkscrews due to impossible to straighten clam shell fins.

What was the actual lift-off weight of this model?

I suspect it is an ounce or so lighter than the last issue of the V-2 since that one seemed to have heavier plastic cones (nose and tail).

It moved great. Excellent!

Originally posted by MarkH
After many launches on D12s, I decided to launch my 25 year old V-2 yesterday on an E9-4 for the first time. I was a bit skeptical given the supposed inablity of the E9-4 to do the job. But, it went off the pad in a nice slo-mo fashion. I did mod it for 1/4" lugs to use on the Estes 4' long rod that comes with the E pad, so the extra foot of rod over the standard 3/16" dia. rod probably helps. Winds were about 5-10 mph.

Here is the lo res video:

https://media.putfile.com/Maxi-V2-E9-4

IIRC, the originals came in about 14 ounces if they were built light and 15 if painted heavy (with D12-3 motor ready for lift off).

A perfect scale is available at Wal-mart and extremely valuable for rocket launching since lift-off weight is critical for many models and motors. It is in the kitchen gadget aisle and is a food scale. Digital. Battery included. Under $30 before tax. Wieghs up to 5-point something pounds.

Oh no, I found a better scale:

https://www.target.com/gp/detail.ht...-2527858?ie=UTF8&asin=B0007GAWRS&frombrowse=1

maybe I need to go buy a spare....

Originally posted by MarkH
Fred: Not sure what the lift off weight was; I don't have a scale suitable for weighing rockets. Since I didn't over build it, it doesn't have a lot of paint, and everything is stock, I assume this rocket's weight is per the Estes specs. (12.5 oz.), maybe less.

I pretty much flew my re-issue on E9's exclusively and had amny perfect flights. Sadly a cato' took it out of comission for good.

kj

Originally posted by zog43editor
I pretty much flew my re-issue on E9's exclusively and had amny perfect flights. Sadly a cato' took it out of comission for good.

kj

That cato must have been pretty violet to do that. The last E9
cato I had was an E9-8 on my Estes SkyBolt, when I was using
it for the E Streamer Duration event at a NAR Regional contest.
Fortunately the damage wasn't all that severe, and I've been
able to make repairs and fly the SkyBolt several times since then.
(In case any asks, yes, I filed a MESS report)...

:sigh: Why are all the cool rockets always out of production? :(

(well the ones under $150 anyway heh)

Back