New Pro Series Motors available

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be placing an order with Hobbylinc soon..just waiting on the items to come in that are out of stock

I'm right there with you Dan, waiting on the 29mm retainers that should come in in a week or so...... I found some more of those motors scattered through the reloads pages, although I'm pretty sure they are all single use. Hobbylinc really makes you work finding stuff on their site.....:rant:

I'm right there with you Dan, waiting on the 29mm retainers that should come in in a week or so...... I found some more of those motors scattered through the reloads pages, although I'm pretty sure they are all single use. Hobbylinc really makes you work finding stuff on their site.....:rant:

Yes they do. I save my order # so I can always go back to it and not have to keep looking up the parts. How many 29mm packs you getting? Seems a great price for under $6

I have six rockets with 29mm MMT's, but the Aspires are minimum diameter, and the Kick Asspire already has a slimline on it. So when Sharon builds her Big Daddy with the 29mm upgrade I will need three retainers. I upgraded the Executioner I just finished, I built a Vagabond (now Rag-A-bond) with a 29mm, and Sharon's Big Daddy. I'm sure something else will come along begging for a 29mm MMT, and we have some foil lined tubing from BMS just waiting.....

I have six rockets with 29mm MMT's, but the Aspires are minimum diameter, and the Kick Asspire already has a slimline on it. So when Sharon builds her Big Daddy with the 29mm upgrade I will need three retainers. I upgraded the Executioner I just finished, I built a Vagabond (now Rag-A-bond) with a 29mm, and Sharon's Big Daddy. I'm sure something else will come along begging for a 29mm MMT, and we have some foil lined tubing from BMS just waiting.....

On the Big Daddy and Vagabond 29mm upgrades ... how much,if any, nose weight did you have to add? Also ... what do you use?

Thanks for the info in the ProLine motors at HL. I found them easily by looking only at "Estes" motors. :D

I have been waiting for these to become available. I even clicked the link to have HL send me an email when they came in - never got an email.

Just placed an order for 2 (yeah only 2) motors. These have been available on the Estes site for a short while now...

Getting the 2 motors via HL saves $85 versus ordering from Estes... Really an $85 savings on just 2 motors. :y:

Now we'll see if HL really has these in stock, or if they never really came in/are already sold out. I've had mixed results ordering motors from HL in the past.:confused:

On the Big Daddy and Vagabond 29mm upgrades ... how much,if any, nose weight did you have to add? Also ... what do you use?

I can SIM that for you unless Wayne already has the information?

If you could do that Dan, you would be helping us both out. I don't have Rocsim, and have no clue what we might need for nose weight. If I did have to add weight, I would epoxy it into the N/C and foam the space behind it to keep it in place. None of my previous builds required any ballast, (including the Vagabond) all my rockets are tall and skinny. I have no idea what Sharon was thinking when she bought this kit... :confused:

Thanks for the info in the ProLine motors at HL. I found them easily by looking only at "Estes" motors. :D

Getting the 2 motors via HL saves $85 versus ordering from Estes... Really an $85 savings on just 2 motors. :y:

Now we'll see if HL really has these in stock, or if they never really came in/are already sold out. I've had mixed results ordering motors from HL in the past.:confused:

That's awesome, but I doubt anyone would pay Estes what they are asking for those motors. Hobbylinc has great prices on most of their stuff, if you can find it...... :rant:

Looks like hobbylinc is selling the motors for the same price as the Aerotechs.

I'm actually more interested in the igniters. They're quite a bit cheaper than the First Fire Jr.

I was first excited to see Estes bring out a new line of motors until I find out they are made by Aerotech much like the PML line that was also Aerotech. That being the case I'll just keep using Aerotech!

Looks like hobbylinc is selling the motors for the same price as the Aerotechs.

I'm actually more interested in the igniters. They're quite a bit cheaper than the First Fire Jr.

I had a chance to use the new Estes igniters, one of our club members was testing the prototypes, they worked great for the composite motors I was using. I even lit an Apogee F10-8 that was several years old with no problem, using a 12v deep cycle battery.

I had a chance to use the new Estes igniters, one of our club members was testing the prototypes, they worked great for the composite motors I was using. I even lit an Apogee F10-8 that was several years old with no problem, using a 12v deep cycle battery.

Your Welcome :D

I'm sure many on the forum were hoping you saw the new motors at Hobby Lobby and purchasable with a 40% coupon.

Just got my delivery today from Hobbylink. Couple of Estes Pro Series II G-80's.

Much to my surprise they do NOT come with igniters.:confused::eek::confused:

Lucky for me I also ordered the Sonic Igniters.

Just a head's up for those who maybe considering these motors. My experience is only with the G80's - but one could infer that all the Pro Series motors are packed the same.

Not sure if this is an oversight on Estes part or intentional. Nothing is mentioned in the new 2012 Estes catalog or web site stating that igniters are not included with the motor. Further complicating things - Igniters are NOT available on the Estes web site - not listed anywhere on the site that I could see.

The G80 instructions do include this line "Insert Sonic Igniter all the way into the motor."

For those who may not be familiar - all Aerotech single use motors come with an igniter.

DSCF0183.jpg

sonic.jpg

Sweet! Can't wait to try these out on a rocket that'll take em. have to find a place to launch first. 17.50 for G80's is that just for one, or do you get two like with the images of Aerotech on Hobbylinc's website?

These are sold in a package of one (1) Hobbylink site shows List Price of $26.99 Their "sale" price is $17.49.

Estes sells them direct for $56.99 each :confused:

We just bought a bunch of AT reloads from Hobbylinc and included two packs of Sonic igniters with our order. They shipped a partial order earlier this week, shorting us one pack of igniters, stating that they were out of stock on the new igniters. I like using these on the smaller reloads instead of the copperheads, they are easier to hook up and fit better than the First fire Jr., which sometimes doesn't fit through the nozzle.
If you are using the new Pro series motors, be sure to post up what you think of them, haven't heard anything about them yet.

These are sold in a package of one (1) Hobbylink site shows List Price of $26.99 Their "sale" price is $17.49.

Estes sells them direct for $56.99 each :confused:

Estes is really selling them for $26.99, the list price. The extra $30 is for hazmat shipping. You get a "discount" on multiple motors because the $30 extra spread across the order.

Hobbylinc must be shipping the motors by USPS - even though they have too much propellant. :-(

-- Roger

Do they really not include igniters? C'mon Estes.

There's no mention of that in the description of the motors on Estes's site or, as far as I can see, on the packaging for the motor. I'm afraid there are going to be a lot of people getting frustrated when they open the motors at the launch site and find that they can't use them.

-- Roger

Do they really not include igniters? C'mon Estes.

There's no mention of that in the description of the motors on Estes's site or, as far as I can see, on the packaging for the motor. I'm afraid there are going to be a lot of people getting frustrated when they open the motors at the launch site and find that they can't use them.

-- Roger

Why would they do that? It's like buying a printer and it doesn't come with the USB cable...printers don't which is as stupid as not having igniters with their motors?

Estes is really selling them for $26.99, the list price. The extra $30 is for hazmat shipping. You get a "discount" on multiple motors because the $30 extra spread across the order.

If we figure the hazmat fee at $27.50 (standard rate AFAIK)

Cost of one motor $26.99 (AT list) + $27.50 = $54.49 Estes = $56.99
Estes also charges $9.99 to ship a single motor. Total $66.98

Up the order to 2 motors and Estes pops for free shipping - there are no qty discounts for only 2 motors. Our total is now $113.98 If we take off the hazmat, they are charging $43.24 per motor.

At qty 3 we get a discount -$20 per motor = total $110.97 or $27.82 per motor. *yes, you pay less (total) for 3 motors than for 2*

When we up the order to 7 motors we get $25 off each motor. Now our total cost is $223.93 and per motor $28.06 *It's weird - larger qty with a bigger discount - yet the cost per motor after removing the hazmat fee increases by 0.24 cents*

Go for broke (literally) and buy 12 motors - discount is -$30 each. Now we are at $323.88 less $27.50 hazmat = $296.38 for 12 motors - or $24.70 each

So buy a dozen and they are $2.29 off list - a discount of 8.5%... Oh wait - problem... That won't sell that qty - not in stock.

Now don't get me wrong... I hold no ill will against Estes, but they need to come up with a better scheme for the pricing of the motors on their webstore.

The way the discounts are structured, you are better off buying at full list direct from Aerotech... hummmm... maybe that was part of the arrangement?!?

12estes.JPG

est2.JPG

Now don't get me wrong... I hold no ill will against Estes, but they need to come up with a better scheme for the pricing of the motors on their webstore.

The way the discounts are structured, you are better off buying at full list direct from Aerotech... hummmm... maybe that was part of the arrangement?!?

I'm not sure why it matters. You will be able to buy the motors locally and avoiding the hazmat fee or from an online retailer that sells them for less than list.

-- Roger

If you are using the new Pro series motors, be sure to post up what you think of them, haven't heard anything about them yet.

It will be just like using the equivalent designation AeroTech motor except with a different label. ;)

I'm would be more interested in hearing reports on those new 'motor lighters'.
rex

Reminded of the first model rocket engines I ever bought. The hobby shop sold them one at a time and sold the igniters separately. I made my own igniters from strands of picture hanging wire.

Back