Storage unit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Well, I may be approaching the "Cwbullet-level" as today I broke down and rented a local storage unit. First thing that goes in there is the PR Nike Smoke. I guess the positive is that in the 10'x10'x12' storage unit, the 12" dia. airframes and 7' nosecone don't look that big (may be of significance if significant other sees such in the future :smile:).

20130521_121404.jpg

Is the storage unit for just storing things? Or are you using it as your rocket workshop? (Can you even do that?)

That's one big Nike!

Well, I may be approaching the "Cwbullet-level" as today I broke down and rented a local storage unit. First thing that goes in there is the PR Nike Smoke. I guess the positive is that in the 10'x10'x12' storage unit, the 12" dia. airframes and 7' nosecone don't look that big (may be of significance if significant other sees such in the future :smile:).

View attachment 130196

te he he; from one storage unit to another!

Is the storage unit for just storing things? Or are you using it as your rocket workshop? (Can you even do that?)

That's one big Nike!

Oh, no. I have a well-stocked workshop and spillover into a section of the basement where I do fiberglassing, oven cycles, mixing, etc. This is just for storing primarily rockets. Does not go over well with loved ones if I have nearly 80 unbuilt rockets out in plain site (see build pile post: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...icture-of-your-build-pile&p=388436#post388436).

Last edited:
I'd love to roll up to a storage unit sale and see big rockets sitting in it. With boxes of unbuilt kits from the 60's. Man, I've been watching too much TruTV lately. Good to dream though!

If that nose cone is 7' tall you should have enough room! :eyepop: (I hope). If I had enough rockets to fill that room up, I think my wife would make me live in it, which is not a bad thing. :lol:

I'd love to roll up to a storage unit sale and see big rockets sitting in it. With boxes of unbuilt kits from the 60's. Man, I've been watching too much TruTV lately. Good to dream though!

Yes, and notice no mention of location and/or any outside pics (don't want any of you getting ideas :tongue:).

View attachment 130196

I need a work shop. It is my dream to have a garage and a workshop. It won't happen till we move. Probably at retirement (5 years).

I have a 10 inch Nike. I could kick myself for not buying the full size.

I dream of one day being at the level of needing a storage unit... right now I'm lucky to have a small makeshift workshop in my basement... I dream of owning my own house with a backyard with a large shed in it to turn into a workshop so the pets and possibly spouse won't have to worry about the fiberglass as much.

That's one big Nike!

The guy in the storage unit next to me uses his to work out of. He has no heat or electricity. He does use a portable generator.

The guy in the storage unit next to me uses his to work out of. He has no heat or electricity. He does use a portable generator.

I have thought about doing this. As my builds grow larger, so does my need for space.

Eventually, I am going to build a ful scale Nike Smoke. Unless PR makes the parts again (nose cone especially), I will need to labricate it. That will take a lot of space.

I have thought about doing this. As my builds grow larger, so does my need for space.

Eventually, I am going to build a ful scale Nike Smoke. Unless PR makes the parts again (nose cone especially), I will need to labricate it. That will take a lot of space.

you'll get some very odd looks when people walk by your open storage unit and see a full size rocket that is made to look like a missile.

A couple of weeks ago, I went online to update the credit card info for our storage unit. The web site displayed a link that said something like "Need more space? Upgrade today!"

So, I clicked on the link and selected a unit which is twice the size of our current one. The web site stated that I could rent it for $20 a month less than I was paying for the smaller unit. I clicked on the button to reserve the unit.

A few days later, I visited the office and was told that they wouldn't honor the quoted price. The offer was, I was told, only for new customers. But, as I explained, I had clicked on a link that asked me if I wanted to upgrade my current unit. And, I noted that I would be a new customer if I went to another company. Then I was told a real whopper: All storage unit companies track your drivers license. You can't move to a unit owned by another customer and get the "new customer" discount!

Of course, I went a couple of miles down the street and rented a new, larger unit, for $30 a month less than I had been paying. I spent the next couple of weeks moving stuff from the old storage unit to the new one (hopefully, organizing things better). Then, I had the pleasure of going into the office of the old unit's facility and telling them I had moved out.

I have some rocket stuff in the storage unit, but I mainly use it to get things out of the garage to make room for important things - like rockets and our Mustang!

-- Roger

you'll get some very odd looks when people walk by your open storage unit and see a full size rocket that is made to look like a missile.

Naw! Most folks in town already have done a double take driving past my house to see the 10 inch model being made in my drive.

Some stop and ask questions. Most just keep driving. Some accelerate.

Back