Estes 2167 Redstone Mercury

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marwady

Build twice, Launch once
Reaction score
I got this kit awhile back from a TRF member.

I decided to build it in between other projects.

This was my first try at scanning the stock peel & stick decals and recreating them as waterslides on my laser printer.

I did this with all but the capsule graphics because my printer does not print white and it would be nearly impossible for me to print on white decal paper and then cut them out.

I finished with Krylon colors and shot everything but the escape tower in Krylon flat clear.

I ordered some parts from SEMROC to build a flyable capsule as the stock plastic one is way too fragile.

Gotta get that done later.

PIX:

Cheers!!

Very Nice!Decals came out great.When I tried to print mine out for my scratch on decal paper I bought they came out faded

Very Nice!Decals came out great.Gemini Titan scratch build 001-001.jpg
Something happened to my computer as I was responding and was not able to finish what I wanted to say.I wanted to print my decals for a scrath Gemini Titan I built,but my printer is old and they came out faded.I used vinyl and hand cut mine.From a distance they don't look bad.Yours on the other hand looks great close up as well from a distance I would think.

Nice job on the Mercury Redstone. I didn't realize the capsule was so fragile. It's been years (actually decades) but I seem to recall mine flew with no damage. Although that could have been more due to luck than anything else.

Mark

Looks nice! I must disagree about the capsule though. I have many flights on mine and the capsule has proven to be quite sturdy!

Glenn

Looks nice! I must disagree about the capsule though. I have many flights on mine and the capsule has proven to be quite sturdy!

Glenn

Thx all!!

I don't care, that capsule is staying on the ground!! :p

My luck would have it smashed or lost and I bet it would be a mutha to replace.

Anyway, I am now working on the "flying" capsule. I'll post pix when finished.

Cheers!

Despite anything the packaging might say to the contrary-- DO NOT fly it on ANYTHING but a C6-3 (or an 18mm composite that would fit the motor mount. DO NOT attempt to fly it on a C6-5 even if it's listed on the package as a "recommended motor". I tried that with mine and lawn darted it on the first flight... got to checking and sure enough-- folks told me that the Redstone had ONLY been recommended for a C6-3 for DECADES but the new packaging ignored that and put the 'standard recommendation' of any C motor...

You've been warned! Good luck! OL JR :)

Back