What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday-
Received Vegabond in the mail
Received 808 key chain camera in the mail
Sanded and glued together Vegabond fins
Assembled and installed Vegabond mmt
Sat a very heavy box on top of Vegabond fins due to warp

Today after work I will swing by Hobby Lobby for a pack of D12-5s
Stop by Target to buy them out of B6-4s and C6-5s
Also buy adhesive labels to paper Vegabond fins.

You can get Avery adhesive labels in full sheets, I think I got mine at Wal Mart. If not there then any office supply store.

Stripeing the fleet with MonoKote continues. Got 6 ready for painting.

Well, I need to wrap up the upgrades to my CNC mill controller before I get started anyway. The Warlok I built was not pre-slotted, so it's not like its a show stopper, I just want what I paid for.

in other news, I purchased a CTI 54mm 3 grain case.

You are a patient man. You are building karma points. You will get a really good parking spot someday soon!

Good luck! That has got to be irritating. I'm waiting to see how things turn out before I order my own Warlock or Doorknob. That's the way I'm leaning before I decide on my L1 and L2 rocket, and I'd like to see you get a satisfactory resolution before I decide, and I don't care who you share that info with. This looks like a really cool rocket, but the customer service to this point has not been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Painted the Partizon. Used Duplicolor Paint Shop Metallic Burnt Orange through my cheapo Harbor Freight HVLP head. Pleased with the results.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403051791.025398.jpg

Started in on my Super Jart in earnest:

Rounded the fin edges, and built the fincan up to internal fillets. Also cut a new av-bay sled and got the rails on.

Didn't get the 6 I wanted to paint done, 55* and blowing yesterday and today it's rainy :p Sure don't feel much like mid-June.

Spoke to our landowner, made sure we're good to go with a launch for this weekend.

This looks like a really cool rocket, but the customer service to this point has not been great.

For my L1 - I ordered a LOC Athena 3 directly from LOC. The kit arrived exactly as specified, was a great experience to build and fly. Of course with a 29mm mount, this will never be a L1 and L2 certify rocket. But as to the experience, I would consider it first rate. Since it was a relatively new kit at the time, it even included the decal.

For my L1 - I ordered a LOC Athena 3 directly from LOC. The kit arrived exactly as specified, was a great experience to build and fly. Of course with a 29mm mount, this will never be a L1 and L2 certify rocket. But as to the experience, I would consider it first rate. Since it was a relatively new kit at the time, it even included the decal.

I love my Athena 3! This morning I went out and flew some baby berthas.

Scored an Estes Extreme 12 kit on Ebay yesterday. Hope to get to the new workbench tonight.

Typical Idaho weather, rainy and crappy this morning, bright, clear and 70* now. Got the 6 painted, they're sitting in the sun drying right now :)

Picked up a Quest Planet Probe

Papered Vegabond fins (thanks Dave! Worked awesome)
Filled Vegabond lower BT joints with carpenter putty (gotta be a better way to make these go away lol)

Marked fin and LL lines, although, may go with mini buttons... What's that web site? minibuttons.com?
Edit - Scratch that question, quick Google lead me to rail-buttons.com ordered a 10 pack and a few case sleeves.
Hope that site is reliable lmao

Probably won't though since I'm trying to have her flight ready by Saturday lol

Last edited:
Assembled a CTI K740 (C-Star) to fly at Mudroc this weekend. Continued organizing and packing for the trip.

Painted my Mosquito with Testors Paint, the Brush on kind, because I can't wait to get the right color Yellow Spray Paint. The Yellow I had on hand was very Pale, like a Pastel Yellow from some off Brand of Paint called Miracal. It covers well, but takes forever to dry and is from the Dollar Store, having originally been baught for something other than Rockets.
I hope to fly it tomorrow. I only did the Yellow, not the Black Fin Section, nor will I use the Decal yet.
When I can afford more Spray Paint, I'll sand it down lightly and then paint it up right and nice. When I was younger I actually had a Mosquito that lasted for quite a few Launches, and want to do the same with this one.
When I was done Painting it I dipped the Nose Cone Section into the Paint Jar, and it added a cool Tip.

Last edited:
I talked to my brother today. When he was visiting a month ago, I showed him my Leviathan and told him about the MPR fun I was having at club launches. Before he left, I gave him an unbuilt Leviathan kit, PVC to build an MPR launch pad, and an Econojet F20 White Lightning, Econojet F27 Redline, and an Estes F26 Blackjack. My nephew's birthday was coming up, and my brother told me that my nephew had decided he wanted a rocket launch for his birthday. They built the Leviathan and launch pad together, and last weekend they had the birthday party and launched the Leviathan and a few other LPR rockets I've sent their way over the years. Sounds like they had a blast! Three successful flights of the Leviathan, with just one difficult recovery when the rocket drifted into a huge thicket of willows. They had a lot of fun with the LPR as well. It was great hearing how much fun they had with the rockets! Made my entire day!

Painted my Mosquito with Testors Paint, the Brush on kind, because I can't wait to get the right color Yellow Spray Paint. The Yellow I had on hand was very Pale, like a Pastel Yellow from some off Brand of Paint called Miracal. It covers well, but takes forever to dry and is from the Dollar Store, having originally been baught for something other than Rockets.
I hope to fly it tomorrow. I only did the Yellow, not the Black Fin Section, nor will I use the Decal yet.
When I can afford more Spray Paint, I'll sand it down lightly and then paint it up right and nice. When I was younger I actually had a Mosquito that lasted for quite a few Launches, and want to do the same with this one.
When I was done Painting it I dipped the Nose Cone Section into the Paint Jar, and it added a cool Tip.

I'm having a hard time finding a decent yellow, too. The manufacturers have decided we need a pale yellow and a green yellow, no just yellow. If this continues then it's off to the industrial paint store for a quart of OSHA Safety Yellow. It's a pain to have to mix paint and clean a sprayer but, oh, well, what ya gonna do? ;)

Currently out of rockets that can take a 3 grain case. launch is this weekend. I have multiple 3 grain motors. Took this afternoon off to build a rocket that took 3 grain cases.

Took a 3 hour nap on accident >.<

Finished applying the last coat of sanding sealer to the fins on the Estes Firehawk #2014.

It is now ready for plastic primer to the nose cone and grey primer to the rest of the body.

Estes_Firehawk_2014.jpg

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time finding a decent yellow, too. The manufacturers have decided we need a pale yellow and a green yellow, no just yellow. If this continues then it's off to the industrial paint store for a quart of OSHA Safety Yellow. It's a pain to have to mix paint and clean a sprayer but, oh, well, what ya gonna do? ;)

OSHA Yellow is usually available in spray cans. But, it's often located on a different shelf in the store than the other spray paints. So, you may need to look around or (I can't believe that I'm suggesting this) ask for help in finding it.

-- Roger

Testors also makes a spray yellow that (to my eye) is yellow yellow. I have a can of it at home, I can look up the exact number for you, but I'm pretty sure its this: https://www.testors.com/products/573522

It's what I used on my viking when I first got back into the hobby:

Viking

Viking in Sunlight

Very cool Thirsty!

I talked to my brother today. When he was visiting a month ago, I showed him my Leviathan and told him about the MPR fun I was having at club launches. Before he left, I gave him an unbuilt Leviathan kit, PVC to build an MPR launch pad, and an Econojet F20 White Lightning, Econojet F27 Redline, and an Estes F26 Blackjack. My nephew's birthday was coming up, and my brother told me that my nephew had decided he wanted a rocket launch for his birthday. They built the Leviathan and launch pad together, and last weekend they had the birthday party and launched the Leviathan and a few other LPR rockets I've sent their way over the years. Sounds like they had a blast! Three successful flights of the Leviathan, with just one difficult recovery when the rocket drifted into a huge thicket of willows. They had a lot of fun with the LPR as well. It was great hearing how much fun they had with the rockets! Made my entire day!

OSHA Yellow is usually available in spray cans. But, it's often located on a different shelf in the store than the other spray paints. So, you may need to look around or (I can't believe that I'm suggesting this) ask for help in finding it.

-- Roger

I'm reasonably sure WallyWorld here doesn't have it, I'll look around some more to be sure but if you need 8 shades of grey then they have it :p I have a Sherman-Williams store about a mile away, closer than WalMart but in a direction of travel I usually don't take but will to find a decent yellow that isn't "Sun Yellow".

Helped my son finish his first (e2x) rocket. Finished my garbage rocket, watched about 2 hrs of a space walk on NASA channel and bought a pack of b64 motors for the paper rocket I hope to have a chance to build before Saturdays NARHAMS launch.

Testors also makes a spray yellow that (to my eye) is yellow yellow. I have a can of it at home, I can look up the exact number for you, but I'm pretty sure its this: https://www.testors.com/products/573522

It's what I used on my viking when I first got back into the hobby:

Viking

Viking in Sunlight

The Testors Spray Yellow is what I plan on using when I can afford more Spray Paint. Someday I really need to get an Airbrush so I can just thin my other Paint and spray it.
As is, the Testors brush on I used is close enough for now. I'm just going to order some more Mosquitos.

Latest posts

Back