Need a Tomahawk body tube HBT-1800

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a darted D Region Tomahawk:
020.jpg

Pretty sure I will never find another nosecone without buying the kit, but does anyone know where I can find the Estes body tube listed for it?

bt reference: 2037 D-Region Tomahawk (Apx 1) 030367 HBT-1800 (2) 11.625”

The shoulder on the N/C measures 1.715" to 1.735" (slightly out of round)
the ID of the BT is about 1.75" and OD is 1.8"
I will also need a coupler and an olgive nosecone. If anyone has any ideas where I can get this stuff, please post up.
BMS and Semroc don't have a listing that matches these dimensions.

I'm rebuilding a darted D Region Tomahawk:

Pretty sure I will never find another nosecone without buying the kit, but does anyone know where I can find the Estes body tube listed for it?

bt reference: 2037 D-Region Tomahawk (Apx 1) 030367 HBT-1800 (2) 11.625”

The shoulder on the N/C measures 1.715" to 1.735" (slightly out of round)
the ID of the BT is about 1.75" and OD is 1.8"
I will also need a coupler and an olgive nosecone. If anyone has any ideas where I can get this stuff, please post up.
BMS and Semroc don't have a listing that matches these dimensions.

Semroc has a tube that is really close to the dimentions you've posted. The Series 18 tube has an O.D. of 1.840 in and an I.D. of 1.800 in.

They also have the type of cone you want, BC-1856. The BC stands for 'balsa cone', the 18 is for 'series 18' and the 56 represents 5.6 inches. The cone is approx. a 3:1 ratio.

I am asuming you'll be using a 24mm motor mount, so you'll need series 9 to series 18 centering rings. The I.D. of the series 9 tube is the same diameter as a BT-50, but the tube wall is thicker with an O.D. of.998 in.

You already have the fins to copy or use again.

The series 18 tube seems expensive to me at $1.39 per inch.

Have you considerd down scaling to BT-60 or up scaling to BT-70 or BT-80? Couplers, centering rings and 3:1 cones are available in all these sizes.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, but I don't want to change the scale of the rocket. I would like to use the original fin can that survived the crash. I could try the body tube and nosecone you suggested with one change, since I intend to use a 29mm MMT. I'm not really familiar with Semroc, most of my parts have been purchased from Balsa Machining. I will go back and look at the Semroc webpage again.

I would recheck the ID OD and wall thickness. It could be that Estes has rounded off the diameter to 1.8" The SEMROC Series 175 tubing might be what they are using.

The body tube that comes in the kit measures .035 wall thickness, and that's with a coat of primer on it. Even though I'm getting familiar with the Semroc site, I still couldn't find any couplers for the Series 175 tubes. I could probably use salvaged tube from the crash to shim the Series 18 tubes to the fincan easier than fitting the thicker 175 tubes.

Wayne,

Balsa Machining has what you are looking for. Use the 34" full length Aerotach 1.8 coupler. C188-34 (1.796x1.728x34 inch long T188 coupler stock at $7.00.

Guy

Wayne,

Balsa Machining has what you are looking for. Use the 34" full length Aerotach 1.8 coupler. C188-34 (1.796x1.728x34 inch long T188 coupler stock at $7.00.

Guy

That coupler is brown cardboard, with a "fuzzy" surface finish and nasty open spiral seam. It's not a white tube with a smooth glassiene outer wrap layer like regular body tubes use. It would require a lot of filling and special care in finishing to come out looking good.

I looked at this problem a few months back, simply to find a longer version of the tube to avoid the joint in the middle when the two short tubes in the kit are glued together. Could not find an alternative.

The tube is 1.8" , because it is a 1/5 scale model of a rocket with a 9" diameter body.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. The more I look at this project, the more I think it might not be worth the effort. I'm building a mostly stock Tomahawk right now and was looking over to Sharons side of the table at the salvaged fin can from her "Tommy". When built with the correct adhesive, it's very durable. I like solid plastic fin cans, and as you might remember Guy, that's why I wanted to build a fiberglass Eliminator. But just like that project, this is turning into more hassle than it's worth. So I guess I will just build the kits that I have waiting on the shelf and let karma determine the fate of a 29mm Tomahawk.

Back