Night flying with NAR Rules

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandman444

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm planning on doing some night launching this summer, and was curious what specific rules NAR had about night launching.

Are there lighting requirements for High Power? Could you really certify at night? Any other differences from night flying?

I couldn't find any rules on their website about Night flying, so if it's there, could someone post a link.

Thanks and happy flying.

I’m pretty sure you need a FAA wavier for high power launches and good luck getting one for night flying.

I know it is done on occasion but of the half a dozen Tripoli and NAR sections I am familiar with; none of them want to bother.
Apparently when push comes to shove night launches really aren’t that popular.

It’s not so much “If you have one they will show” so much as it is “We had one and nobody showed”.

Yep, you need a waiver, and it's up to the FAA office doing the approval. Some will grant them, some will not.

As far as lighting, my understanding is that light sticks do not meet the lighting requirement. It has been years since I researched this, however. But I recall something about visibility at much greater distance than a light stick shows up.

Apparently when push comes to shove night launches really aren’t that popular.

It’s not so much “If you have one they will show” so much as it is “We had one and nobody showed”.

They do not know what they are missing! We have a very active night launch that our club (SARA) has twice a year. We have no problem getting a waiver and our rules are glow sticks or small flashers on low power. Flashing strobes or LEDs on high power, maximum K, with no complex high power allowed.

Photos of a few of the flights from last weekends Desert Heat:

https://fotos.nahcpj.com/dh2012/night1

At ROC I have flown an I297 Skidmark at night.

It is WAY cool!!! Even an Estes C motor is really pretty cool.

So it sounds like NAR does not have any rules about night flying. Nor do the HPR rules.

Since the thread has been light on information here is the section on night launching from the Narhams website (note- they haven't been updated in a while):

Night Launch Rules and Regulations

The purpose for holding a night launch:
To Advance the State of the Art in Onboard
NIGHT ILLUMINATION TRACKING EQUIPMENT

FAA requirements: Obtain a full FAA Waiver

FAR-101.1: All daylight flights shall cease at sunset, when the sun falls below the visible horizon.
Reduction of maximum altitude to 2500 feet
Four quadrant aircraft lookouts
All models must be safety inspected during daytime operation, including all engines to be used during night flights. All models must have made a successful daytime flight in full night configuration to be considered for inclusion.
All models must be lighted. Models between 1 lb and 3.3 lbs must have a high-intensity light source such as a strobe or high-output LEDs (minimum 2000 mcd visible at 2000 feet).
Special notification to BWI airport and a separate NOTAM

Club and Operational Requirements

Log all observed aircraft entering airspace during night launch operations.
All attending persons are additional aircraft lookouts. Please keep looking.
Keep noise and talking to a minimum during countdowns. Keep conversations away from the range head.
Cylume chemical light sticks shall be used only on models and/or gliders powered by B motors or less. NO EXCEPTIONS
All lanterns and flashlights are to have red lens filters. See Night-RSO if you need one.

Night launches are fun. We've done a couple (didn't get to do one last year due to drought shutting down ALL flying activities!) Hope we do another one this fall...

IIRC NAR rules allow night launches now, and FAA doesn't require waivers anymore for night launches for class one rockets. Class 2 need a waiver night or day.

Active illumination is a MUST! By "active" illumination I mean LED or bulbs or strobes or something else using electricity to emit light. Glow-sticks and other chemical illumination is just flat out impossible to see once the rocket is at altitude, and drifting down under parachute-- heck I've been within a couple feet of a glow-stick equipped rocket during recovery and nearly not seen it... the illumination is just TOO DIM. You really need the INTENSITY of battery powered lighting to actually be able to see the things in the air and on the ground for any distance (ESPECIALLY if there's a 'bright sky' from a lot of light pollution in the area of your night launches-- it's amazing how much a brighter sky will ruin your night vision when looking for things like rockets laying on the ground!) Glow in the dark paint is ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS...

Fly the thing in daylight in night-flight configuration to ensure it's stable and will recover properly. I've seen some folks tape a pack of glow sticks to a regular rocket, and the weight can shift around and make it unstable. Plus, as mentioned, the glowsticks are worthless...

Later! OL JR :)

Back