Loki Research 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Scott, here is my contribution to the Loki cause.

[video]https://youtu.be/QgOPMvseG80[/video]

GOOD LORD, where did it go? LOL

Was curious where I could find the sim files for the new Loki reloads. Would like to plug em into OR and see what's what.

Was curious where I could find the sim files for the new Loki reloads. Would like to plug em into OR and see what's what.

I think Mark said he would try to have the new files added to thrustcurve.org this weekend, time allowing.

Michael, that flight looked great. Please send pics! :)

Woooohhhhhh,,
Was that a cool vid Michael...
The video editing skills come to bear,, lol...

Teddy

This is the second time I launched that rocket on the Loki K-830 Spitfire, and it had the same performance last time, it really is an awesome motor.

Michael, that flight looked great. Please send pics! :)

Scott, Riley was kind enough to snap those pictures for me. I will shoot over what I have in the original, un-cropped, unedited format and you can adjust, crop, colour balance as you see fit. The pics in the video are just cropped and if they were balanced I bet the sparks would look even better.

Woooohhhhhh,,
Was that a cool vid Michael...
The video editing skills come to bear,, lol...

Teddy

Thanks Teddy. This is my second video and its all about the tools, and of course the YouTube how to video tutorials. I use iMovie 10.1.2 which is simply an entry level tool but good enough at its job to get better than average results. I am not sure if you have a Mac, if so try iMovie. If no Mac then there are many tools for this type of work but I am not the guy to ask advice on if you decide to down this road. However I bet if you started a thread you would get lots of opinions.

Loki motors are amazing and I hope to fly them someday. I'm working on modifications to the motor section on my ExPAC project and planning for much larger motors in the future. I'm considering making enough room for the 76/8000 case but I can't find any information about how far the forward closure extends past the case. Ultimately I need to figure out the distance from the thrust ring to the tip of the closure to leave enough room. Also I'm considering the expense of picking up loki cases in addition to the CTI I already own. I like the CTI spacer system since it allows one case to fly more reloads. Looking at the simple design of the snap ring cases it would seem that it would be simple to make spacers for the Loki cases and make them more versatile. A quick search shows Gorilla has spacers for their 75mm cases. Would it be feasible from a regulatory or cost standpoint for Loki?

While I understand the desire for a spacer system, really you still have to buy the corresponding nozzle anyway, so you don't really save very much. The cases may not be as cheap as the CTI cases they still aren't to bad. And lets face they are so sweet you just got to own them all!

It is one more variable of failure that most don't want to deal with, as cool as it would be, I don't know if the economic value is there. Plus we want Scott to focus on more reloads. :)

TA

It is one more variable of failure that most don't want to deal with, as cool as it would be, I don't know if the economic value is there. Plus we want Scott to focus on more reloads. :)

I'm pretty sure if I don't wait at least a few more months to ask for a 54/1600 cocktail star grain motor..... Scott's going to fly here and choke me ;)

I'm another not interested in spacers. I rarely fly the full spectrum of motors, it's either top or bottom... I've got a 38/120, and a 38/1200 not sure I'd wanna spacer that ;)
I've got the cases and bulkheads for 480 and 740, but no nozzles yet. If I'm going to spend $50 on a 740 load, i may as well get a 1200 in my mind :)

I'm pretty sure if I don't wait at least a few more months to ask for a 54/1600 cocktail star grain motor..... Scott's going to fly here and choke me ;)

I'm another not interested in spacers. I rarely fly the full spectrum of motors, it's either top or bottom... I've got a 38/120, and a 38/1200 not sure I'd wanna spacer that ;)
I've got the cases and bulkheads for 480 and 740, but no nozzles yet. If I'm going to spend $50 on a 740 load, i may as well get a 1200 in my mind :)

I think everyone would like to feel this way if they could David..
You're very fortunate to have a fantastic waiver at your home club field every month...
I'm jealous...lol...

Teddy

I think everyone would like to feel this way if they could David..
You're very fortunate to have a fantastic waiver at your home club field every month...
I'm jealous...lol...

I am, but I think I'd do the same thing if I had a smaller waiver, but it'd be 120/740. Also I'm only flying that 1200 to 9K in my screech ;) lots of people can do that. 2.6" rockets and 1200 are a perfect match

I am, but I think I'd do the same thing if I had a smaller waiver, but it'd be 120/740. Also I'm only flying that 1200 to 9K in my screech ;) lots of people can do that. 2.6" rockets and 1200 are a perfect match

That Screech is insane on that case.....
What is in it for tracking ??

Teddy

The reason I fly smaller, is sometimes for what will fit. I ran into this issue with Aerotech loads, and Loki makes them even longer. The spacers are typically limited to 2 grains anyway, and the Loki casings are already that far apart in size in many cases. Plus, Loki makes reloads that vary a good bit in total thrust for the same case at the upper end of the 38 and 54 mm sizes as it is. In the end though, I rarely fly the same rocket on more than two or three reloads anyway.

Would it be feasible from a regulatory or cost standpoint for Loki?

Well what can I say. My customers pay attention. :)

Most of my answers have been given above, thanks guys, but given again below in order of importance as I see it.

Case spacers are-
- another point of failure if hardware internals are not kept very clean deep down inside the case,
- another part to machine and inventory for each diameter This adds more inventory cost for little return because case spacers would be
- maxed out with the current hardware being 2 grain sizes apart as they are. That and they are still
- going to require the purchase of another single nozzle size. For a little more you have an entire motor case.
-also heavy and reduce ultimate flight performance if you are over optimal mass.

Thanks for the inquiry just the same. Personally, this company isn't capable of producing ever conceivable case size, nor would I every really want to unless there is a huge hole somewhere. How big is a big hole? That depends on who you talk to. To me, unless it's a 54/4000 and the grains are 10.5" long, adding one singe grain to a motor case doesn't do a whole lot to get me excited about a "bigger" motor. That's just me though and I know customer wants/needs are important, but some things are easier to accommodate than others.

The 76mm current 76mm bulkhead protrudes from the from any 76mm Loki case by a distance of 1 & 9/16" (1.5625) This includes the head bolt.
The front of the thrust ring is located .760" from the end of the case and the 76/8000 case is 40.875" long.

So from the top of the head bolt to the front of the thrust ring on the 76/8000, the distance is 41.678. Round it up and make it 41 & 11/16"

That Screech is insane on that case.....
What is in it for tracking ??

BRB900 in the nose. Looking at both the AIM XTRA and the new Missileworks system... Both would be fun in the 54mm Screech with an L1040 stuffed up inside ;) (or K830 if I fly in Potter, can't let Michael have all the fun with those )

Last edited:
BRB900 in the nose. Looking at both the AIM XTRA and the new Missileworks system... Both would be fun in the 54mm Screech with an L1040 stuffed up inside ;) (or K830 if I fly in Potter, can't let Michael have all the fun with those )

Really can't wait to burn my K830.... Not happening this summer in Southwest Missouri.

That'd be fun in the Screech, but probably not likely. Perhaps my 3" bird. Sure will make a lot of noise.

Mike,, Michael Pit is a great fan of the K 830,, insane load..
But I must admit,,
I've seen enough K 830's burn ( usually Pit's, lol )
that I'd with Dave on this one..
I'd really love to see a L 1040 jump all over a 54 mm rocket.....
Hey,,
I've got a great name for it---

"Vanishing Act"........

Teddy

Hey Teddy I just happen to have an L-1040 in my motor box and coincidentally was siming up my 3" Darkstar for Potters, last week. Possibly I will launch it in August or September.

Unfortunately it is not a motor for my Tomach at Potters, as it sims to 26K. I am hoping to attend Airfest in 2018, and if so the L-1040 in the Tomach will be on the table.

That and possibly a custom 54mm MD with a 56" booster...can you say 54/4000.

Unfortunately it is not a motor for my Tomach at Potters, as it sims to 26K. I am hoping to attend Airfest in 2018, and if so the L-1040 in the Tomach will be on the table.

That and possibly a custom 54mm MD with a 56" booster...can you say 54/4000.

2018 sounds like a really good idea for an MD party. ;)

2018 sounds like a really good idea for an MD party. ;)

That sounds like a good plan! Glenn and I were originally thinking 2017 but that is very unlikely at this stage, however 2018 is probable.

We should have a head to head (motor to motor) 54mm Loki 2018 challenge at Airfest. I will have to convince Scott to make some special loads just for me, like a L-1040 with 3707.9 N.s and a 3.7s burn :wink:

That sounds like a good plan! Glenn and I were originally thinking 2017 but that is very unlikely at this stage, however 2018 is probable.

We should have a head to head (motor to motor) 54mm Loki 2018 challenge at Airfest. I will have to convince Scott to make some special loads just for me, like a L-1040 with 3707.9 N.s and a 3.7s burn :wink:

Yea i was looking at 2017 as well, but 18 would be much better. It's a long time out, but logistically possible for me.

I was thinking of just shaving a sliver off one of your grains when you weren't looking ;)

I'd have an L1040 slated up for the Tomach, and maybe something for the Mongoose 76. Blue would be cool, but hard to hang on to I think.
That 4K would be something to see fly.

Last edited:

Some might even think they had a shot at the Tripoli "L" record with a 2050 :wink: Although as I understand it, the current Tripoli record setting rules do not compensate for starting ASL. So Argonia, @1250' ASL, may not be the place to set any records, but the 2050 would still be pretty cool!

My only comment would be if going for high G, make sure you mount all your electronics with aft end thrust blocks to take the load. I've never done it but people have written about going to stupid high G's and having electronic components, say large
capacitors get ripped right off the PC boards of their respective devices. That doesn't make for nice deployments.
I've been told some have resorted to potting their electronics in epoxy with exquisite care taken not to get epoxy into the static ports of said devices.

Kurt

perhaps not, but the L2050 should pop the 32K record, which was set in CO at an elevation of around 5K.

Even if it doesn't set (or keep) a record, like you said it's going to be a hell of a flight.

My only comment would be if going for high G, make sure you mount all your electronics with aft end thrust blocks to take the load. I've never done it but people have written about going to stupid high G's and having electronic components, say large
capacitors get ripped right off the PC boards of their respective devices. That doesn't make for nice deployments.
I've been told some have resorted to potting their electronics in epoxy with exquisite care taken not to get epoxy into the static ports of said devices.

Interesting. I haven't gone really high on G loads, worst I did with the screech was 49G on a K1127. Most of the 54mm loads actually hit lower G forces with the heavier motors.

The L1040 sims to 27G, so should be ok. 2962g total weight vs the K1127 with 1172g total. :)
L1400 sims to 39G
K830 sims to 21G

Typically I just make sure to mount the electronics with 4-40 screws and that the boards are locked in place with nuts on the all thread. So far so good.

Last edited:
Yea i was looking at 2017 as well, but 18 would be much better. It's a long time out, but logistically possible for me.

I was thinking of just shaving a sliver off one of your grains when you weren't looking ;)

I'd have an L1040 slated up for the Tomach, and maybe something for the Mongoose 76. Blue would be cool, but hard to hang on to I think.

Hahahahahahahahaha...

Man,, now that's a cheap shot,, lol...

Yeah,, I'm with you guy's for sure on that 54 / 4000 case...
The build I was supposed to do this past winter was around the 76 / 8000 case...
I never got to the build though...
This year at Airfest will be a M 2550 LB in "SteamPunk"...
I wanna see if I can melt the rest of Mark Hayes's vinyl off the fins,,, lol...

Teddy

i got a chance to fly the new loki ice blue this weekend

ice_blue_1.jpg

ice_blue_2.jpg

Very nice Dan. Thanks for sharing the photos! That's the very first G-94IB flight I believe. :)

Back