What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painting.....

And more painting....

Getting ready for my big order from Stickershock. Then I will be doing more painting, with clear.....

Maybe some future on the lacquer, I don't trust clearcoat on some of my stuff.

John I think you're teasing us! :no: Me: finished filler work on the Estes Centuri, continued putty action on a Madcow BOMARC, acquired 40 oz. of J-B Weld for use building L3 vehicles.

Yep.
I told him if he wanted to launch rockets with me this summer I would pay for his first year TRA membership and get him a kit of his choice under a certain price.
I gave a list of several vendors and the suggestion of 4" because I think they are easier to build He chose the Pike so I placed the order Sunday.

Most excellent!

It'll be great to see Stephen again.

-Kevin

Most excellent!

It'll be great to see Stephen again.

-Kevin
Kevin
His name is Steven. Not a big deal for me but boy does his mother get upset. It is a pretty easy mistake to make especially because you haven't seen him for a long time.
I hope to get him to come to the March meeting with me and we can bring his application with us.

His name is Steven. Not a big deal for me but boy does his mother get upset. It is a pretty easy mistake to make especially because you haven't seen him for a long time.

Yeah, moms get like that. :p Not sure why, but I was thinking I had seen you write it with a "ph" before. We just won't tell his mom. :D

I hope to get him to come to the March meeting with me and we can bring his application with us.

That'd be cool. Tell him to bring his wallet, and stock up on goodies, too. :)

-Kevin

IMAG0257 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG3124 by beerorkid, on Flickr

So the looping twirly marks the wife put on the rocket makes sense now that a giraffe is flying the rocket........

I am in no way an artist and got a bit impatient with the paint, but it is still cute. The Flat Daddy is nothing but a test rocket I plan on rocking and flying all the time. I fear what it will look like a month from now, but, I bet it is cool :)

Last edited:
Wet sanded the final primer coat on my Baddazz Defender mkII...Duplicolor Universal Chrome and Anodized purple await.

-Chris

Been on a mad building spree lately.

Since Monday, I've built a Hi-Flyer XL, Comanche 3, Mini Comanche 3, Maxi EAC Viper (BT-60 Upscale), a US Rockets "Hammerhead".

Today I cut out the fins for my Mega Viking.....2.56 LOC tubing with TTW fins, flown on a 29mm motor.

Been on a mad building spree lately.

Since Monday, I've built a Hi-Flyer XL, Comanche 3, Mini Comanche 3, Maxi EAC Viper (BT-60 Upscale), a US Rockets "Hammerhead".

Today I cut out the fins for my Mega Viking.....2.56 LOC tubing with TTW fins, flown on a 29mm motor.

Your avatar is so perfect right now.

Oh Amy Adams...

Well I just picked up the Estes Partizon, the Mercury engineering Integrator(29mm single), and the 3D Rocketry-3-Demon. And picked up some motors, and building supplies form hobbylinc(well about 2 bills worth)..*:)

Last edited:
Put together a little Alpha for something here later on TRF.

Re-arranged and organized all of my little Sterilite drawers. I didn't realize I had so many spare chutes, launch lugs, centering rings, engine blocks, tube couplers, bulkheads, nose cones, and fins. Steve's Boneyard!

1. My rocket spike project: I cut out the two bases 7-1/2"x7-1/2" from a plank of 1x8 (nominal) and finished the rough edges with the stationary sander. I'd already used a Forstner bit to recess a hole in each of the boards. A bit of Titebond II in each, twisted the 38mm spikes in until they tightened up, and checked they were vertical with a small triangle. They're drying in the garage as I type this. Having the tools you need to accomplish a job certainly makes things a lot easier.

2. Fiberglass tube fin repair: Sanded down the cured icing flush with the various imperfections but will still need just one more thin coat to make it...uh, oh...perfect. Hope I didn't just jinx the rocket.

3. Launch prep: I assembled an Aerotech I225FJ reload in a Dr. Rocket 38-480 case and used a set of newly purchased Rouse-Tech closures. The red and silver look quite stylish together. This was my first "liner" and seal disk reload and it went together pretty easily. I drilled in a 7 second delay and hope to use it in my Steppin' Razor II next Saturday. With all the tube fin drag, it should only hit about 1700 feet. With motor deploy that's getting up very close to my comfortable chase limit now that I seem to have blown a knee gasket.

Last edited:
I started my Rocketry Warehouse Broken Arrow XP build.

Completed motor mount, initial fins install, and aeroteck retainer.

This where I normally stop for the night to allow the JB Weld to set.

Broken Arrow XP.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll apply fin filets of proline 4500, install the airfoil rail buttons. Sunday will be drill holes and build ebay day.

Last edited:
With two younger students, I slotted some tubes for tailcone research rockets.

After returning from the MIT lockdown hoax this morning, I installed the recovery system in my Estes Nike Smoke. Went with the stock installation. I'm sure it will be just fine.

I started my Rocketry Warehouse Broken Arrow XP build.

Completed motor mount, initial fins install, and aeroteck retainer.

This where I normally stop for the night to allow the JB Weld to set.

View attachment 119205

Tomorrow, I'll apply fin filets of proline 4500, install the airfoil rail buttons. Sunday will be drill holes and build ebay day.

Just about to start mine as well! Now maybe I'll wait. :wink: Is there a build thread?

Hit the Piranha with a good sanding on motor mount and body tube, ground out the holes for internal fillets, and glued in the engine mount. I'll tac the fins on later with some JB weld, then attempt to do the internals after I pray that I don't make a mess.

Just flew my 2 stage Darkstar 3" raven file and pictures to follow. 100% success!!!

Putzed around with some RRC2s -- I seem to have three of them, now.

Printed a copy of my 2013 waiver.

Excavated some of the Pegasus paperwork, and got rid of some documents I no longer need.

Registered a domain name for a friend's new rocketry business.

-Kevin

IMAG3144 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG3145 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Getting started on the Cosmic Interceptor

Yeeesh there are a lot of parts, but it should be fun. It is the last kit I have in the pile besides the Mega Daddy project. I need a Badazz rocket and want to build non Estes stuff for a while.

Thinking Defender MKII and the Thresher looks cool
24mm
Sturdy, so maybe not balsa and cardboard
Looking for one I can show off to people with the cool CNC / aluminum bits and make them say "WOW" and want to touch it :)
Any suggestions on some others I should look at?

This past week I gave a presentation on model rocketry to a 4-H club and took some rockets in to show students in a class I'm doing a long-term stint for.

Making a test booster for a design of mine. It'll have four powered outboard boosters and three 24mm core and I have all these spare Alphas that I decided to use as the basis for the boosters. I wanted to vent them for the burn-through of the C6-0s. I had a more "elaborate" vent in mind for the visual "neat factor" but decided it was going to become an issue of additional drag and opted to use two 5/32 fashion grommets instead. Total assembly weighs 1/2oz.
Thor Booster 1.jpgThor Booster 3.jpgThor Booster 4.jpgThor Booster 6.jpg

IMG_2287.jpgIMG_2286.jpgKind of like my latest build, just finished a couple of days ago. I vented my pods externally as well.

Don

Last edited:
Went to Hobby Lobby, lusted after a 'G' motor, then realized I left my 40% off coupon at home. Hate when that happens, but was able to go to the Varsity (Great local Hot dog place) so wasn't a total loss.

Back