Your best F100 story...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm. Wonder what vintage that booster was from. It had a much longer low/no thrust tail than older F100-0s. Let the rocket slow down too much, though it obviously didn’t matter ;)

While I was in the UK, someone re-discovered an (apparently French) F-100D that ran out of fuel and landed on one of the motorways. Due to the difficulties in being able to take off from there, it was sent to the scrapyard, and forgotten. By the time it was re-discovered, things had changed enough that folks were able to go out and bring it back to our base. It was then repainted and served as a display aircraft (apparently at RAF Crouton). I understand it was later scrapped.

North American F-100D Super Sabre ‘63000 / FW-000’ (really 54-2212) by Alan Wilson, on Flickr

F-100 flight yesterday at the FAR test and launch facility.

IMG_4869.JPG IMG_4870.JPG

Hmmm. Wonder what vintage that booster was from. It had a much longer low/no thrust tail than older F100-0s. Let the rocket slow down too much, though it obviously didn’t matter ;)

1989, I think. There's also a few dated 1982 in my stash.

One of my coworkers bought a launch set about 20 years ago including at least 4 motors. He and his son built the rocket and we went out to launch it. On the first launch, no ejection charge so the rocket did a core sample. The main airframe was fairly long so we cut off the damaged part put the nose cone back on so we could launch again. That engine CATO'd and blew the rocket into little bits. He wasn't going to build another kit to trust the remaining motors with so he gave them to me. I wasn't going to spend any money on a rocket either so I built a rocket out of scrap- a long mailing tube about 2" diameter, I rolled a cone out of paper, I used old poster board for fins, I made a parachute out of a trash bag. It was ugly but looked like a rocket. We made 2 good flights on that rocket with the remaining engines.

My other FSI story- somewhere around 1967 we discovered FSI. We were launching Estes rockets and the biggest motor they made was a B. FSI had at least a C so we bought some. They were larger diameter than Estes motors so I tore the mount out of one of my BT55 rockets and rolled a tube to fit the FSI motors. That rocket flew very well on those long burn C motors. I remember that these motors had a very small nozzle so you had to use an igniter made out of Jetex wick with nichrome wrapped around the outer end of it.

Back