• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

You Vacuum Baggers Out There-

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11bravo

Reaction score
Has anyone here used a Food Saver or similiar for vac bagging?
Seems almost too good to be true; bags and pump so easy to come by.
There is a good article on it here-
https://www.info-central.org/construction_vacuumbagging.shtml
I wonder though how much vacuum it will pull (though I don't really know how much is needed).
Just wondering if anyone has experience with it.
Thanks,

Greg

i saw this done on one of the discovery channel rocketry shows. so yeah it is pretty nifty. the vacuum they are using is one of those food preserver vacuums they sell on infomercials on tv. i dont think its something i would attempt without previous practice under someone who does it alot.

I just started doing this a month or so ago. I had an old foodsaver for years. This technique is awesome. I helped my friend build a 2.5" rocket we want to fly on an pro 54 L730. The firt couple tries we had some minor ridges, which I sanded down and filled with bondo. The tubes were still way better than my hand layed projects. We are now glassing a 4" cardboard tube rocket, and I haven't had a defect yet. Peelply and cotton batting are a must.It works slick. I recommend this technique to any one who has a foodsaver laying around.

Anyone know where to get a foodsaver in the UK - preferably cheap(ish)?

There seems to be so much useful rocketry stuff the other side of the pond - like Aerotech:mad:

Thanks for the replies; think this is something that I will look into once the winter really sets in here.
mi nan-
You wouldn't by chance have a vacuum gauge that you could test with to see how many inches of mercury a foodsaver pulls do you?
I've looked all over the net and contacted the maker and no one seems to know.

Greg

The food savers vacume level is adjustable..

the cheaper brands appear to be a fixed level

Back