You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill Walton
John Wooden
Keith Wilkes.
Swen Nater, Walton's backup was the starting center for the 1972 US Olympic basketball team.
Remember reading that he quit the team because he didn't like the food or something.
Tom Henderson, Univ. of Hawaii guard, was also on that team.
The infamous gold medal basketball game in the '72 Olympics.
We wuz robbed!

So THAT'S where the "cheeseboogie, cheeseboogie!" SNL bit came from!! Used to watch SNL a lot back then as the Belushi brothers graduated from the same high school I was in. Jim is out in Oregon on his ranch raising legal cannabis in green houses now.

When starting college in 1975 at IBC in Lisle, Illinois people pounded on my dorm door one Saturday night and said, "You gotta see this show SNL! They gotta a guy from Wheaton, Illinois on it!" I didn't know John but I did know of Jim and Jim stepped in to protect me from a bully one time using humor. Jim is two years older than me and there was no friendship there. I just recognized he was the one that saved me when I was a freshman and would see him roaming the halls during break.

Jim was in dramatics and play performance back then. Would always get busted for "Smok'in in the boys room" and suspended.
One time he was supposed to headline in a high school play but got caught, "Smok'in in the boys room." The stupid assistant principal thought
prohibiting Jim from being in the play was appropriate punishment. Jim then just coached his understudy for the part like crazy so his understudy
could pull it off.
Kurt

Last edited:
my parents went crazy with us kids singing this song LOL

I think the Frito Bandito was voiced by the great Mel Blanc (a.k.a. Bugs Bunny and a zillion other characters) Man I remember these ads.
the stereotypes certainly wouldn't fly today but we were more innocent back then. (Except the hippies!) :-0

You might remember some of these -

Books/fads
EST
Transactional Analysis - "I'm OK, You're OK"
Luscher Color Test book
The Godfather
Papillon
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Gravity's Rainbow
Zen and the Art of Motercycle Maint.
Helter Skelter
Jonathan Livinston Seagull
The Day of the Jackal
Carrie
Jaws
Interview with the Vampire
The World According to Garp
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Summer of 42

I read a lot back then, still do. I'd read a book, then a year or two later, a movie would be made. My friends would be really excited about the movie, but almost no one had read the book. I guess things haven't changed much...
Three Days of the Condor

You ever sang the "McDonald's is your kind of place! Hamburgers in your face! French Fries between your toes! Dill pickles up your nose!

You remember the difference between Almond Joy and Mounds. Y'know, 'cause sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.
Don't know if anyone else remembers this, but there was either a fad, an advertisement or contest challenging people to say the ingredients of a Big Mac backwards as fast as they could in the mid 70's. My wife can still say the ingredients backwards to this day.

Back