Yearly "Newton Tally"????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man! Talk about a Thread I wish I had'nt started.:facepalm:
I was only curious about where the Figures came from. Old Dude answered that with the most relevent Answer and the Thread should have ended then and there.

I wish we had a way to judge Fun Factor. For me it would'nt matter if the Rockets never even launched, and my yearly Newtons were ZERO, as long as I was enjoying myself with the Builds and researching the History.

Right now my total Fun Factor so far this year is like 90% Fun. The only Frustration Factor of about 10% has been the Weather, but hey, Weather happens.
Weather has caused me to pay some attention to tuning up and modifying some of my Birds, so maybe even the Weather has been a good thing, which would mean that my Fun Factor is actually quite near 100%.:)

Last edited:
My rocket's bigger than your rocket,
My rocket's bigger than yours.
My rocket's bigger cause I have more money to blow than you,
So my rocket's better than yours.

It's a reality. People are this absorbed with themselves.

Last edited:

Yeah, that's pretty pathetic.:(

Honestly, I don't care how many motors I burn, nor how many rockets I build (so long as it's "many"). I'm having fun, and that's enough for me.

Or maybe people just want to keep track of statistics in a convenient place. It isn't a conflict until people make it one.

saturnv-3_0.jpg

I don't care what anyone thinks about us counting our Ns. We're gonna communally launch a Saturn!

Sounds like you are focusing on the right thing. My Fun Factor is pretty high right now too.

I don't care what anyone thinks about us counting our Ns. We're gonna communally launch a Saturn!

I can't find the post I made back then, but when Estes announced some time ago that they had sold xx million rocket motors, I did some rough calculations based on even rougher estimates and estimated that the total Ns of all hobby rockets launched in the US added up to about half of the total impulse of a single Space Shuttle SRB.

-- Roger

So. Shootin' for even half of a Shuttles SRB would make us ALL feel pretty small, so is there actually something we can do with our Combined Newton Seconds of Total Impulse? A Sponsor toward a Charity or something like that, so that the Hobby gained Publicity and made everybody realize that it is a safe and fun Hobby. Maybe a Benefactor that could match Donations toward a Childrens Hospital or some Not-For Profit, non-political Charity?
Perhaps a really cool Benefactor would want to put a few Sponsored Full Time Rocketry Bases in every State???
I know if I ever won the Lottery that that is what I'de do.

The achievement of a "Common Goal" would go a long way towrad integrating our Hobby into everyday Society.
IMO, every Child should know basic Rocketry.

I did some rough calculations based on even rougher estimates and estimated that the total Ns of all hobby rockets launched in the US added up to about half of the total impulse of a single Space Shuttle SRB.
Maybe we can measure our Ns in units of SRBs. It'll be a good refresher on those tiny unit prefixes; I don't even remember what's smaller than "femto". :)

At least so far this year, no arithmetic is required:
2015 total: 0.0 SRBs

In all seriousness...how does NASA or the military measure success? It's whether the mission objectives are met. So if your objectives are to make the kids go "wow" and get the rocket back, who cares about total impulse?

People that count their Newton seconds are just dropping a dopple of icing on their cream filled doughnut. It's an unnecessary statistic that someone tried to make important. It ain't! But, go ahead if you like. Who am I to say what's really important? Hell, some folks think just because their motors are bigger than your rockets deserves merit........................nuff said?

VERY true...

They're also usually the ones who act all PO'd if you aren't fawning all over them because their rocket is bigger, cost more, or whatever than your rocket...

Oh well... takes all kinds I guess... I'm like 'meh-- so what' and move on...

Later! OL JR :)

I have never felt the need to measure myself against others nor have I ever felt like the people who where flying large stuff were upset I didn't bow to honor them. To me that's baggage you are putting on yourself that I choose not to. All I see are people that are excited about their projects and are excited to share, whether it's a shiny new LOC Onyx or a L3 project. For goodness sakes people, do what makes you happy and feed the rest fish heads.

I have never felt the need to measure myself against others nor have I ever felt like the people who where flying large stuff were upset I didn't bow to honor them. To me that's baggage you are putting on yourself that I choose not to. All I see are people that are excited about their projects and are excited to share, whether it's a shiny new LOC Onyx or a L3 project. For goodness sakes people, do what makes you happy and feed the rest fish heads.

I find it funny how many people (not you grouch) who say "it doesn't matter how much you fly or how big your rocket is" immediately turn around and dump on anyone flying bigger rockets or motors than they do. Fly big, fly small, fly fast, fly slow.... whatever gets you going. And....there's nothing wrong with being proud of what you've done.... If you set a goal for yourself, and meet it, and want to share that, I say go for it.

It'd be pretty boring around here if no one shared what they were doing.

I run the SEVRA database. All the flight cards are recorded and the motors burned are queried against a table of total Nsecs. I can output each member's current y-t-d sum, average and current biggest motor.

He's got big Ns,
She's got big Ns,
But I have the biggest Ns of all!!!

Just for pleasure of course....:cool:

Some N's are flown for charity
Some for fancy dress
but when they are flown for pleasure
those are the N's I like best.

Back