Would love to see a flying kit of the Flash Gordon rocket from the 1930’s

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be easy enough to replicate in Open Rocket, an excellent candidate to show off the "POD" feature.

You could modify a non-flying model kit to actually fly. But @ $90 making one from scratch seems like a better option.

Fins would need to be bigger in rear to overcome the destabilizing effect of front canard things and front wheels, no?

Should be easy enough to replicate in Open Rocket, an excellent candidate to show off the "POD" feature.

You could modify a non-flying model kit to actually fly. But @ $90 making one from scratch seems like a better option.

Well, if you go rear eject on a soft grass field there is a high probability you will stick the landing!

I want to see it with the forward circle of small tubes as an A10 cluster. I'd even be fine with leaving off the wings and landing gears. Maybe draw retract covers on the airframe, suggesting a technology upgrade.
Keep the landing gear, a little asymmetry won't hurt. It is already a bonified RSO frightening machine. Maybe a sparkling kite tail of some sort for stability on a mid canted motor abomination? That old tinsel from Gramma's Christmas Tree? Would that look good enough?

Otherwise it is a traditionally mounted, kick A$$ sparky motor with a butt load of no good, stinking, performance robbing nose weight. Run, duck and cover!

You are looking at an abomination at or above this level:
IMG_20141115_113538196.jpg
Only with strict Level Three and multiple Level Two supervision.
IMG_20141115_113525727.jpg
Only on THE ANNUAL COLD DAY IN HADIES LAUNCH.

Last edited:
I think it would be stable if you knocked off the wheels. Then at least it would also look a little more symetrical. Almost rocket-like rather than a biplane without wings.

I think the spatted wheels really make it. What's a bit of asymmetric drag to the #oddrocscum who prowl these forums? (@Daddyisabar & @lakeroadster , I'm looking at you guys...)

I think the spatted wheels really make it. What's a bit of asymmetric drag to the #oddrocscum who prowl these forums? (@Daddyisabar & @lakeroadster , I'm looking at you guys...)
Spatted wheels and shoes are 30's sheek! Makes me want to swing in a zoot suit riot! A little JU 87 mean look, a little radio navigation loop upgrade on the opposite side balance drag. Maybe a little larger fin sticking out more to hide the midcant motors. All tricks to make it still look good and get a pad assignment!

Maybe a tail of Hawk Men trailing behind on their way to ATTACK!

VERY ODD AND SCUMMY INDEED!

Must blast Queen on the Eighties boom box at launch.

A little JU 87 mean look, a little radio navigation loop upgrade on the opposite side balance drag.

I really want a JU87 boost glider will full-on gull wings. It doesn't even need to glide well - a steep dive and flare out before landing would do. Damn. This forum really stretches your brain some days.

I really want a JU87 boost glider will full-on gull wings. It doesn't even need to glide well - a steep dive and flare out before landing would do. Damn. This forum really stretches your brain some days.
It kinda wanted to glide, but making anything glide is way beyond my skill level.

JU 87 One.jpg
JU 87 Five.jpg

How about a Mongo warship "Ajax" from the 80's . Delaurentis movie? After seeing that big baby coming up through the clouds at the beginning of the final battle scenes on a 100' x 80' screen is impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd love to see that launch!

Cheers!

Last edited:
How about a Mongo warship "Ajax" from the 80'a S. Delaurentis movie? After seeing that big baby coming up through the clouds at the beginning of the final battle scenes on a 100' x 80' screen is impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd love to see that launch!

Cheers!
This thing? Coolness. It reminds me of a Boeing 377 Stratocruiser. At least around the cockpit area.

IMG_6359.jpeg

Golly, man of the Colorado mountains, how do you get those detailed, irregular shapes into OpenRocket?

Just plug the data from the drawing, your post #1, into the OR program... For those big front canards you make a fin template by pulling the drawing into MS Paint and tracing the outline, then import that image into the fin "shape" tab in OR.

Flash Gordon Rocket Ship Dimensions.jpgFront Fins A.jpg1687648408234.png

Last edited:
You're going to need either clear fins at the rear or a ton of weight at the front or a mixture. Heads up.....
I'm of the opinion the better approach would be a tractor motor version... I pretty much hate Lexan fins, they ruin the entire look of oddocs and sci-fi rockets.

Latest posts

Back