Wood filler question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackball74

Reaction score
So I'm converting another Sky Writer with a scale motif and applied a few coats of primer and paint. Problem is the spirals are showing pretty clearly (more so than the first one, which covered up well). Can I add some wood filler at this stage?

Not sure about the paint but I fill spirals over primer often.No problems yet. Also I used to use Elmer's Wood filler but I've found Bondo Spot Putty to be a lot better. Good Luck

Not sure about the paint but I fill spirals over primer often.No problems yet. Also I used to use Elmer's Wood filler but I've found Bondo Spot Putty to be a lot better. Good Luck

+1... Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty (from auto parts stores) is MUCH better at filling tube spirals than wood filler IMHO.

EITHER will require you to apply, sand, and then reprime/repaint...

Your choice... Later! OL JR :)

My personal experience with using wood filler on top of paint, was not great. The wood filler just cracked and fell off. I suspect it is because wood filler requires a porous surface.

At this point, you need something that will "bite" into the paint. That means either some more primer/paint, or a filler putty that has a solvent base. I agree that the Bondo glazing and spot putty is an excellent product in this case, and would be my choice. There are other putties, like Squadron putty that will work as well. Regardless of what you choose, you will have to do some sanding (as Luke said above).

Back