Is white filler-primer a thing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes to sanding off the primer, switching colors is a nice trick to help assess how much you still need to sand. When you think you are close to finish, spray a very light coat of black primer (doesn’t have to be a solid coat, just an even one) over the top then start sanding. If you’ve filled the low places, all the black should sand off. If you have low spots, the black will guide you to those places. You can get Dupli-color Sandable primer in black. If you can’t get black, grey will do.

I’ve been doing a first coat of Acryli-Quik followed by FP. I tried sanding until most of the FP was gone, but realized that the FP was softer than the AQ, so the remaining areas of FP were actually low spots by the time it got to that point. They would show up as low spots when recoated with a thin primer. So I changed to sanding FP until the prior layer just begins to show in spots uniformly all over. Then the surface is mostly FP and nicely uniform. A layer of white AQ primer to uniform the color, damp sand with 320, and it’s ready for color.

Back