William Shatner is going to space. For real.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, is George going to?

Satellites much higher than that encounter enough air friction to make their orbits decay given enough time. That's why any LEO satellite that doesn't have propulsion on board is short lived.

Space weather changes the density of the atmosphere at "edge of space" altitudes, which means that both the Karman Line (100 km) and the Entry Interface (400,000 ft) are arbitrary values within the range of a physical effect. "Wings aren't helping you any more" if you're on the way up, or "Things get hot" if you're coming down. The USAF 50 mile line is an arbitrary figure based on how high they could fly, and nothing else (as far as I know).

400,000 ft makes as much sense, and only as much sense, to me as 100 km. Since 100 km is the international consensus figure (except for some backward hold-outs like the US) I'll keep using that. But to each his own.

Yes, the upper atmosphere expands and contracts with the flux in solar activity (See: Early demise of Skylab).

But, a satellite needs to be over Entry Interface to stay in orbit. And, yes, that 400,000 ft height will change, depending on the sun. but that's still as low as I would consider "entering space."

Of course, these suborbital lobs are hardly reaching orbital velocities of 17,500 mph, so they really pale in comparison to Musk's tourist flight last month, sending the tourists into a 300+ mile orbit.

Last edited:
I watched a pretty funny Anderson Cooper interview with Statner on CNN last night. Shatner was very funny for a 90-rear-old guy. I have always enjoyed making fun of William Shatner, but he is definitely in on the joke too, and he is a fun and intelligent person. God speed, Captain Kirk!

The version I saw was a lot more edited than this, so it was a lot more laughs per minute, and no slow parts, but here is a longer version of the video that is good too: https://www.cnn.com/videos/tech/202...e-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/acfc-full-episodes/

Any orbit can be maintained, if you have enough energy to expend maintaining it.

Maybe forego the traditional countdown and instead something like this:

I imagine the post interview answer to the question of how was it? "It was... <long pause> FUN!. Kirk out"

RESZhRj.jpg

Back