Which dimensional drawing is actually true

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_Another

Reaction score
Guys i'm planning to attend a rocket competition and they told us we have to use aerotech l1256 motor do you know which one of these are true? And if the left one is the actual motor do you know how do i read lenghts?

Attachments

• hp 75-3840 (l1256ws-p)_1648848800331.pdf
    77 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-20240119-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20240119-WA0012.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 2
they are 2 sheets of the same drawing. The first is a assembly and the second is a actual dimension drawing.
Are you sure because first ones nozzle looks a lot more longer?

Then i have to make my design as taking reference second one?

One has a Medusa nozzle (shorter, multiple nozzles), the other is a standard single port nozzle hence its longer...both could be correct depending on the age of your particular motor. The single port nozzle is the newer version iirc.

The one on the right is the drawing for the casing you'll use (ignore the nozzle/fuel grains), the one on the left is the assembly drawing showing the actual nozzle/grains and the forward seal disk. Both drawings are correct.

The first is probably for the specific motor and the other is probably a general design for all 29mm models.

Ps yup you should use the last one.
First they gave us second one then they deleted that and added a open rocket file because the one in the app's itself wrong then they gave us first one i don't know what the hell are they doing.
Thanks for replying i really appreciate

The one on the right is the drawing for the casing you'll use (ignore the nozzle/fuel grains), the one on the left is the assembly drawing showing the actual nozzle/grains and the forward seal disk. Both drawings are correct.
Then i will use second one? Sorry my english isn't that good

One has a Medusa nozzle (shorter, multiple nozzles), the other is a standard single port nozzle hence its longer...both could be correct depending on the age of your particular motor. The single port nozzle is the newer version iirc.
They gave us first one at last. The first ones lenghts same as second one then except nozzle?

Then i will use second one? Sorry my english isn't that good

This response is correct:

Multi-throat medusa nozzle:
083B3143-DD14-4CDE-9F26-B946705A98A4.jpeg

Single throat nozzle:
80DA38CD-BEE0-4D83-A16B-1CBA0486E490.jpeg

Both use the same motor case, the one you get will depend on the manufacture date of the reload kit.

Ask your motor supplier if it will be the single-throat nozzle.

This response is correct:

Multi-throat medusa nozzle:
View attachment 630155

Single throat nozzle:
View attachment 630156

Both use the same motor case, the one you get will depend on the manufacture date of the reload kit.

Ask your motor supplier if it will be the single-throat nozzle.
Probably single throat. In other hand except nozzle all other parts are the same? Then do you know where can i find the lenghts of single throat nozzle?

Does both forward seal disks are the same? It's important because i'll design my engine block according to that.

Never assume that because a motor case has a designated size, that the designated size is the ACTUAL size.
The case size for the 75 reloadable cases is ACTUALLY slightly over 75mm. 2.965 x 25.4= 75.31mm. It was PROBABLY made from 3"OD material and machined down to clean it up from the 3" extruded aluminium. The cleaned up size being just over 75mm. NOT 75mm.
The Aerotech drawings for the designated case sizes are correct for the Aerotech cases.
If a motor is a SINGLE USE motor, who knows.....

Hi, I am curious just what you are trying to build for this motor case. A motor mount tube? Also what do you mean by engine block? The item to keep the motor case from flying out the front of the rocket?

Never assume that because a motor case has a designated size, that the designated size is the ACTUAL size.
The case size for the 75 reloadable cases is ACTUALLY slightly over 75mm. 2.965 x 25.4= 75.31mm. It was PROBABLY made from 3"OD material and machined down to clean it up from the 3" extruded aluminium. The cleaned up size being just over 75mm. NOT 75mm.
The Aerotech drawings for the designated case sizes are correct for the Aerotech cases.
If a motor is a SINGLE USE motor, who knows.....
Yes i heard and because of that i was planning to give tolerance to engine mount about 1-2 mm but before, i have to be sure about lenghts of the motor and that's where all my problems. Start thanks for advice tho.

This is the old one right?

The 75/3840 “motor hardware” is the same for all loads that fit that 75/3840 case. It hasn’t changed. The hardware is: the 75mm/3840 N-sec case, the forward seal disc, the forward closure and the aft closure. The aft closure will work with either nozzle type. These parts are reusable many times and for many years if you don’t lose them.

The L1520 “motor” is a kit with the fuel grains, the nozzle and the consumable internal components needed. All of that goes inside the 75/3820 motor hardware. This stuff, or what’s left of it, goes in the trash after the rocket is recovered.

Last edited:
But isn't i have to still attach motor to the rockets itself? Actually it has attached from the front closure but this is for extra safety.

If the motor hardware you buy has the "Screw Eye" optional front closure you can use that as an "extra" safety margin.

You generally use this to hold the motor case in from the rear>

https://aeropack.net/pages/motor-retainers

What are the goals from the contest you must perform?

But isn't i have to still attach motor to the rockets itself?

The 75/3840 “motor hardware” is the same for all loads that fit that 75/3840 case. It hasn’t changed. The hardware is: the 75mm/3840 N-sec case, the forward seal disc, the forward closure and the aft closure. The aft closure will work with either nozzle type. These parts are reusable many times and for many years if you don’t lose them.

The L1520 “motor” is a kit with the fuel grains, the nozzle and the consumable internal components needed. All of that goes inside the 75/3820 motor hardware. This stuff, or what’s left of it, goes in the trash after the rocket is recovered.
I want to go over the topic again. First ones and the second ones case is actually the same but because the first one is for a spesific rocket motor (L1256), nozzle look different. But except nozzle all other lenghts are the same because as i said they use same case as 75/3840 am i right?

Back