What's your favorite aerotech propellant? poll

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite aerotech rocket propellant?

• Black Max

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Black Jack

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Blue Thunder

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Dark Matter

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Metalstorm

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Mojave Green

• Classic

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • New Blue Thunder

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Propellant X

• Redline

Votes: 13 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aerotech makes a lot of good propellants, I cast my vote for Propellant X, but I have several favorites.
  • Redline is amazing. A good Redline motor is just unbelievably red. It's the reddest red. Pictures can't do it justice.
  • Warp 9 and Super Thunder are both amazing. Seeing a rocket teleport of the pad with a rush of sound never gets old. And if you manage to snag a good picture, they're both beautiful. And the endburning motors that use them are capable of some ridiculous altitudes.
  • Dark Matter is a decent sparky. Maybe not quite as dramatic as a good Skidmark, but much more consistent.
  • New Blue Thunder is a great combination of pretty good performance, and good visuals. A great blue propellant that I wish Aerotech would do more with.
I saw a guy fail a cert attempt on an H115DM (I think that’s what it was). Wind got the better of him and he zippered it pretty good.

Fixing the tube and upping the thrust to an H550ST for the next round made it perform much better. Go big, right?

Really like the Mojave Green. But hard to go wrong with a White Lightning. Also think the Metalstorm is better than it gets credit for.

It is interesting that most users pick thier favorite propellant based on perceived photogenic properties. I personally could prefer motors with a dense delay tracking smoke, that is not really an available consumer choice. I'm leaning toward Blue Thunder for its long shelf life, but I lack sufficent data on motor/propellant shelf life. And yet, I think I'll cast my vote for the MM propelant.

I like smokey motors, but this year, I've been getting the giggles every time I teleport my rocket on an H999!

Depends on the rocket for me. I don't have a single favorite. The only one I am not enamored with is Red. I use it occasionally, but it doesn't stand out for me.
Have never flown a sparky, but enjoy watching them, and to the best of my knowledge I have never experienced warp 9.

I didn't notice the poll, or I would have voted, but since the thread has been resurrected:

#1: Blue Thunder
#2 Black Jack
#3 White Lightning

Not a fan of red's, but not offended by them either. Don't like greens for some reason and I'm not a sparky guy regardless of manufacturer. I have yet to fly the Super Thunder or any Warp 9's. I speculate I'd like the Warp 9 and likely the Super Thunder as well. I generally like extreme motors - either crazy fast burn or really long burn. That's part of the reason I like the older Black Jack (H73 etc.) vs the Black Max motor idea, as the fun part (for me) was the slow burn with a lot of smoke.

Some of the motors I've seen at club launches (not sure of manufacturer or details) that seem to burn for 3-7 seconds make me cheer out loud. While the builder knew what it was going to fly like, lots of the time I can't hear the details of the launch callout, so I don't know if it is an L-one-million or an L-10. (I bet either of those would be fun hypothetical motors to watch too!).

Good poll, sorry I was late to the party.

I got into research motors for long burn. I have a versatile propellant like Aerotech White Lightning and an even slower propellant that I use for D grains. I'm getting 3.5 sec in 18 mm, 5 sec in 24 mm and 9 sec in 38 mm. (Haven't tried 29 mm.) The other propellant gives 7 sec in 38 mm, 10 sec in 54 mm, and 17 sec in 98 mm. It has to be vacuum mixed for these burn times.
Upscale Deuce on K160s ground view.

Onboard view with the camera on the butt plate between the motors.

7.5" Goblin on an N800

Back