What's your favorite Aerotech propellant?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White lighting all the way. The sound is heart pumping. From a little G-79 to a massive L-1000.

Super White Lightning should have been named “softer white lightning”

White Lightning is on the top of my list. The true classic white lightning. Not the newer one where the flame is and smoke does not look right :(. Blue thunder is my second favorite, followed by black max, black jack.
Is the newer one the "WS" found in motors like the i175? Or was there a rolling change to White Lightning propellent and you're saying the ones from an earlier manufacture date are better?

I love flat thrust curves for some reason, so I tend to lean towards red and green, but I also love the white lightning loads.

I'm actually looking forward to playing with this some. I like clean-burning, efficient, high-performance vehicles.
Good luck with that... I didn't read anywhere that the Classic Propellant has any better performance than the other propellants.​
AeroTech’s exclusive Classic Propellant™ aerospace grade composite propellant formulation, which produces impressive lift-offs with visible supersonic shock diamonds emanating from a transparent ignition flame with translucent exhaust plume and no smoke that appears to make your rocket leap-off the launch pad.

THERE ARE NO MACH DIAMONDS IN CLASSIC PROPELLANT THAT IS A LIE! I launched a night flight with one to see the shock diamonds but they weren't there.
:(

Is the newer one the "WS" found in motors like the i175? Or was there a rolling change to White Lightning propellent and you're saying the ones from an earlier manufacture date are better?
The new "White Lightning" does not replace the classic White lightning. I believe its a more efficient propellant (albiet imo a more difficult to lite) version. AT still makes versions of the classic WL and still introduces new motors that use the classic white. I believe all the q-jets use a version of the classic white.

Its similar to how there are couple versions of Blue thunder and black jack. For example, the standard BT gives use the F50T and F52T, while the New BT gives us the G80 and G138. The classic BT in those sizes you can barely see the flame, but the NEW BT the blue flame is CLEARLY vissible. The BJ amd FJ gives you a slower verses faster burning dark smoke motor, although FJ is more gray in color.

The new "White Lightning" does not replace the classic White lightning. I believe its a more efficient propellant (albiet imo a more difficult to lite) version. AT still makes versions of the classic WL and still introduces new motors that use the classic white. I believe all the q-jets use a version of the classic white.

Its similar to how there are couple versions of Blue thunder and black jack. For example, the standard BT gives use the F50T and F52T, while the New BT gives us the G80 and G138. The classic BT in those sizes you can barely see the flame, but the NEW BT the blue flame is CLEARLY vissible. The BJ amd FJ gives you a slower verses faster burning dark smoke motor, although FJ is more gray in color.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the Black Max’s burn rate being faster, and that making it difficult for the smoke to come out really dense.

I like them all except fast jack/black jack. I do fly a ton of Whites, Reds, and Metal Storm.

WS is Super White Lightning

It is the "Super Thunder" analog of White Lightning

Super White is not to be confused with Fast White, as there are, I believe, (3) versions of WL, not including WS. Slow White, White, and Fast White. Then there is Super White.

Super White is not to be confused with Fast White, as there are, I believe, (3) versions of WL, not including WS. Slow White, White, and Fast White. Then there is Super White.
So, which of these WLs is the new one that n3tjm finds disappointing compared to the old one?

That explains how they’re able to sell both a G40W and a G79W. Kind of a shame that the variations on this propellant aren’t really differentiated beyond occasionally having clearly contrasting motors in a given size.

That explains how they’re able to sell both a G40W and a G79W.
A more significant difference is that those motors have different core geometries -- G79 is BATES, G40 is C-slot (I think.)

But there are definitely two different formulations of WL commonly used in larger motors, you can see the stats of both on https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/browse/cat1577810_4827317.aspx and https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/browse/cat1577810_1952802.aspx And a third "slower White Lightning" also.

Back