What's a good book on airbrushing for rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Title says it all. I'm looking to improve my airbrushing technique (acrylic paints, LPR & low end MPR) and am looking for a book that covers the basics to make sure I'm doing things right so far, and to take me to a more intermediate level.

What's a good book that would cover techniques relevant to our world?

Marc

I don't know about books as there are many but there is a large resource of information using google and you tube. I get a lot of diy info for anything from those resources alone.

I bought my 1st airbrush this past summer and I really never used one before. After some practice on blank card stock I was ready to paint a rocket. That's what I bought it for anyway. It was a breeze. You don't need no steenkin' book! Just know that it's way more precise than a rattle can, you can adjust the width of spray and you use way less paint because waste is minimal.

Marc,

Kalmbach Publishing, the parent of Finescale Modeler and other modeling magazines publishes books on how to use an airbrush. It is written with plastic modeling in mind but the lessons learned can easily be adapted to model rocketry because it is less about what subject is being painted and concentrates on different techniques used.

Thanks guys. I've been 'brushing for a year, off an on, so I've got some basics down but I'm at the point where just reading through what others have to say on the matter would probably up my game. For this kind of learning I'm more of a book guy than a youtube guy due to attention span / frustration issues but I may also give the old youtube a shot.

Marc

Thanks Chrism, I've been looking for one too. Haven't really found one I like yet, the art ones are all about working on canvas and most of the modeling ones have one little chapter on aircraft and space craft, and the rest is on cars.

I saw a very good, complete book on airbrushing at Hobby Lobby two days ago. It was $24.95...but with a coupon.... The book was at least 3/4 inch thick and covered a lot of different areas.

I wound up getting two books, from Amazon (with free prime shipping). One is Barron's All About Technique's in Airbrush. The other was very inexpensive but looked interesting, How to Use an Airbrush, by Robert Downie (I think this was the Kalmbach publishers one... hasn't arrived yet).

Latest posts

Back