What out of production Estes model would you like to see available in kit form?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I built a clone, but I would love to see the #1925 Exocet MM38 come back. I know it has it's quirks, but once you get some weight in the nose, it really hauls on a E9! The original kit flew with 18mm engines.
Might just break a E- impulse altitude record up here in Canada with some Econojet E's!

The top of my list would be the Fat Boy. That way I would stop reading thread after thread asking for it! :)

I don't get the Fat Boy thing, it's one of the easiest rockets to clone and the parts are readily available. Now something like the Explorer Aquarius that has a unique nose cone and a bunch of parts I totally get.

OK, add the Explorer Aquarius to my list.:)

The 1/45 Centuri Little Joe II was pretty awesome.

Make that two of us. I was out of rocketry when this one came out. A really nice execution, and should be reintroduced since it is just a little tougher to clone than a FatBoy .... :)

Last edited:
What about the stealth? Not a high flyer but, a cool looking rocket. A message to the Sandman; I got a little sidetracked with "projects" for the wife. But, I am now working on more important stuff "rockets". I should be done shortly. I appreciate your patience.

The Trimminator

Bump...

Ca 1971
Astron Omega
Cineroc (updated with a mini DV keychain camera)(I know... Semroc (hey, how about a simulated (or real) camera shroud?))
Astron Nighthawk (I know... Semroc)
Astron Falcon (ditto)
Sandhawk
Saturn V (semi-scale)
Gemini-Titan
Saturn 1B (but Centuri's recovery system) (with spare patterns for the reduction cones!)
Saturn V (again with Centuri's system) (ditto)
Astron Trident (plastic nose cones would be nice)

ca 1989 kits
Sizzler
Magnum
Yellow Jacket
Mean Machine (with all the unfinished parts, not this modern POS, I want it for parts)
Supernova
Tornado
Exocet (not the mini verision, the C version (upscaled to a D))
Sentinel
Ranger
Comanchee-3 (again for the parts, so no pre-finished stuff)
Stealth
Phoenix
Black Brant II (D or higher engines)
Jupiter C (but with easier fins, those were a PITA)
Mercury Redstone (again with the easier fins)

ca 1988?
Astrobee
Icarus
Firecat
Gamma
Spartan
Javelin
Teros
Citation Patriot
Stiletto
Der Red Max (without all the German markings)
Der Big Red Max (see above)
Cherokee-D (semroc would be well advised to include details on how the kit evolved with a time line)
Cobra 1500 (for parts)
Bandit (yeah, I know... semroc)
MaxiIcarus
Colossus
Blue Bird Zero (minus the German markings)
Sky-Hi
Vigilante
Goblin
Scorpius
Pershing-1A
Sprint
Tartar
Space Shuttle (with something better than vacuform for the shuttle)

Ca 1996
Athena
Astrocam 110 (but with a 2nd stage and a looking back option)
SR-X
Deep Space Transport (but with ducted ejection system)
Shadow (as a payloader)
Mercury Atlas
Star Ship Enterprise
Klingon Battle Cruiser (where do YOU think the name K'Tesh comes from?)
X-wing Fighter
Tie Fighter
R2-D2
Terrier/Sandhawk
Jayhawk
Sweet Vee
Strato Blaster
Astro Blaster
Phantom (but with balsa to go over the fins)

Ca 1998
Gemini DC (but with decals more reminiscent of the Trident, or Deep Space Transport)
Tomcat
Y-Wing Star Fighter
Vader's Tie Fighter

Last edited:
Missed this thread the first time, fun it got reincarnated...

Trident (and/or the "Bi-dent" too)
U.S.S. America (don't forget Estes owns the Centuri portfolio)
Maxi X-Wing oh yeah
Gooneybirds
Star Speeder
Original style FS-5 launch controller and Tilt-a-Pad

Easy clones but would be cool as re-release:
Space Plane
Bandit (original)
Blue Bird Zero
Enerjet Aero-Dart or Hustler

Strato Blaster

If you can find one NIB these days it'll cost you just shy of $200

The Sprite is tough because the Series III 'shorty' motors it was designed for were discontinued in 1969-70.

Plus, the 'tumble recovery' system it uses actually makes it "stable, but backwards," so what happens is after it does 3-4 somersaults, it straightens out and comes down tail-first. If it lands on hardpan dirt or asphalt, etc etc., the fins and tail ring can crack.

It wouldn't have to be "tumble" recovery. I've built a Sprite clone that used a 13mm mount and streamer recovery. I just like how the little critter looks.

Honestly nothing that we can clone. Only stuff that we cant because of a unique nose cone or other part. Now that said a upscale of anything would be cool.

TA

Just getting back into rocketry for my sons and it's been a real blast from the past (no pun intended!). That said, would like to see the Sizzler back from 1985 as it was my first ever rocket and starter kit. Also, the original Wizard rocket with the purple paint scheme. Simple built rockets, but they still hold a place in my heart from when I first got into rocketry in 1985. Great memories!

Honestly nothing that we can clone. Only stuff that we cant because of a unique nose cone or other part.
I agree 100%. There really is little need for making 3FNC's that can be easily cloned. Nonetheless, folks seem to ask for them quite often.

Now that said a upscale of anything would be cool.
While I think many of these upscales are also easily cloned, I think it's pretty sharp marketing (on Estes' part) to offer some of the recent upscales. Lots of us old-timers/BARs will quickly plunk down 20 or 30 bucks for upscales of our childhood favorites. Those kits are especially good at inducing impulse spending by BARs :D

Doug

would like to see the Sizzler back from 1985 as it was my first ever rocket and starter kit.
Would love to have a Sizzler.

This is the black and white one, right? I have one that I need to repair, one fin came off multiple times and the tube is torn now too. I just need to order some tubes for various stuff and start repairing. Loved my Sizzler too!

Most folks want the nostalgia back, their first rocket, etc. Hence the 3FNC's on the list. I'm pretty lucky, I grew up on Centuri, and the wonderful folks at Semroc have been doing a bang up job of bringing back many of my fav's.

The ones that I's like to see that are not being made by anyone:

The Centuri Fighter Fleet series, (F104, F15, Mirageetc). My first rocket ever was an F15. Those were sooooo coool.
Buck Rogers kits
(Jeez, I think I have a thing for the fiberboard kits):eyeroll:
Scramjet

How about the entire 1977 Centuri catalog.

Make the following Pro Series II:

Colonial Viper
Space Shuttle (the whole stack, not the one that was just the orbiter), Both the NASA proper and the Centuri one
Fatboy, like Estes did with the Der Red Max.
Jayhawk (bigger than the Magnum D)

Buck Rogers kits

Last edited:
The Estes Ram Jet, but not anymore, I got a 4x upscale Ram Jet from K&S rockets, but the original would still be good to get:cool:

Will ask a question which just now popped in then go Google to see.
Didn't someone, somewhere, sometime, make the 9170s-80s Buck Rogers starfighters?

Read up two posts...

Yes. Starfighter, Marauder, and some stupid 4FNC "Laser Lance" to go with them. They were good kits, fiberboard, a lot of detail and good design. Somebody on ebay must have a truckload of them because they have been continuously available on ebay for at least the last 10 years, but for high $$.

Will ask a question which just now popped in then go Google to see.
Didn't someone, somewhere, sometime, make the 9170s-80s Buck Rogers starfighters?

Back