What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
back to the dentist and got 4 more fillings
It isn't fun. But frankly, fillings are more fun than root canals or implants.

Went to my dentist (former student!) earlier this week. A molar probably needs to be removed. Planning on an implant in front of that molar (which has done pretty well for me for the last 40 years) because there isn't a tooth above the molar...and there's an empty space below the upper tooth.

Opened up an industrial 16 port POE switch with a screaming fan. It was used to replace multiple other POE and switch devices and the noise had been horrible from day 1.
Fitted a large diameter double ball bearing fan internally and created cardboard ducting inside. The cardboard doesn't reflect the noise.
Quiet as a mouse now.

Life admin stuff.
  • Checked and topped up the fluids and pressures on the 2001 Mazda 323 SP20 and the 2008 Mazda 5. 🛠️
  • Confirmed my Mazda 5's service record history and then booked it in for a minor service + customer requests next Friday. ☎️
  • Called my current private healthcare insurance provider to provide updates for the family policy (both kids no longer in full-time education & one turning 21). 34mins later resulted in a A$170/month premium increase.😱
  • Conducted multiple on-line healthcare comparison website searches for the next 4 hours to see what the competition were offering.👾
  • Fielded multiple phone calls from sales people who were watching my on-line searching.🤳
  • Politely declined multiple offers of assistance from multiple sales people.💋
  • Selected a couple of policies from a new provider to weigh up and toss a coin over. Depending on which one we go for, there will be a saving of either A$244/month or A$142/month versus staying put with the current provider. The best will even be A$80/month cheaper than the previous premium. 🥳
  • The wife has said the savings will boost the Level 3 build fund . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . OK. . . I might have made that last bit up!:p

Life admin stuff.
  • Checked and topped up the fluids and pressures on the 2001 Mazda 323 SP20 and the 2008 Mazda 5. 🛠️
  • Confirmed my Mazda 5's service record history and then booked it in for a minor service + customer requests next Friday. ☎️
  • Called my current private healthcare insurance provider to provide updates for the family policy (both kids no longer in full-time education & one turning 21). 34mins later resulted in a A$170/month premium increase.😱
  • Conducted multiple on-line healthcare comparison website searches for the next 4 hours to see what the competition were offering.👾
  • Fielded multiple phone calls from sales people who were watching my on-line searching.🤳
  • Politely declined multiple offers of assistance from multiple sales people.💋
  • Selected a couple of policies from a new provider to weigh up and toss a coin over. Depending on which one we go for, there will be a saving of either A$244/month or A$142/month versus staying put with the current provider. The best will even be A$80/month cheaper than the previous premium. 🥳
  • The wife has said the savings will boost the Level 3 build fund . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . OK. . . I might have made that last bit up!:p
My policy reduced by A$2000 last time I reviewed. Policy now updates BEFORE 1 April. Having their annual increase on April fools day is the biggest insult. Like the toll on the Sydney Harbour Bridge going up on the same day.....

I had a colonoscopy and an upper today. Not bad. Took a polyp. Off for a biopsy. The good part was the prep. Instead of drinking a gallon of vile tasting liquid in one go. The day before at 5pm take 3 Dulcolax pills. Mix 8.3 oz of Miralax into 64oz of Gatorade, any color but red. At 7pm drink four 8oz glasses 10 minutes apart. Tasted fine just felt a little sloshie. The day of, drink the last four glasses 10 minutes apart and your done. Well drinking it any way. When I got to the hospital and saw the anesthesiologist I warned him about me waking up. Out of the blue he asked what branch I was in and what did I do. Then he said you were at Buckley. I was floored. Nobody knows about Buckley. It's a priority A resource in the middle of a Air National Guard base that is so big the runway was an alternate shuttle landing site. For example a priority A resource is what nuclear weapons are. We didn't have those. Then he asked me about RAF Lakenheath. The SR71 and the U2 at RAF Alconbury. He knew all about me since 1979. He said he worked at a military hospital called Fitzsimmons in Denver. I have never been there. I have been thinking about this all day. How does a complete stranger know just about everything about me. I don't have a clue. Maybe he is CIA. That's as good a reason as any other I can think of. I'd like to talk to him again to find out how he knows so much about me.

I had a colonoscopy and an upper today. Not bad. Took a polyp. Off for a biopsy. The good part was the prep. Instead of drinking a gallon of vile tasting liquid in one go. The day before at 5pm take 3 Dulcolax pills. Mix 8.3 oz of Miralax into 64oz of Gatorade, any color but red. At 7pm drink four 8oz glasses 10 minutes apart. Tasted fine just felt a little sloshie. The day of, drink the last four glasses 10 minutes apart and your done. Well drinking it any way. When I got to the hospital and saw the anesthesiologist I warned him about me waking up. Out of the blue he asked what branch I was in and what did I do. Then he said you were at Buckley. I was floored. Nobody knows about Buckley. It's a priority A resource in the middle of a Air National Guard base that is so big the runway was an alternate shuttle landing site. For example a priority A resource is what nuclear weapons are. We didn't have those. Then he asked me about RAF Lakenheath. The SR71 and the U2 at RAF Alconbury. He knew all about me since 1979. He said he worked at a military hospital called Fitzsimmons in Denver. I have never been there. I have been thinking about this all day. How does a complete stranger know just about everything about me. I don't have a clue. Maybe he is CIA. That's as good a reason as any other I can think of. I'd like to talk to him again to find out how he knows so much about me.
What flavour are you going to hate? Lemon or orange?

Had frost. Didn't taste anything but the Gatorade. Still have a bunch in the fridge.
My first one was lemon. Thats ok, no idea why anyone talks about it........ Didn't want to taste another lemon drink for quite some time after associating lemon with the lemon consequence ...

It's for a set. But still... Not even 10% off? A little more and they might have sold Chris a set.

The scariest part is my wife responded "another time." Either she is messing with me (almost certainly) or she has become completely numb to the cost of bike stuff. Nevermind, she's definitely messing with me.

It's for a set. But still... Not even 10% off? A little more and they might have sold Chris a set.

Those wheels would save about 400g over my current set, or I could just stop eating peanut butter at the rate of a Sam's Club double pack a month and lose that much weight in about a week. I should really go with the latter option.

Now, if I was a 58 Kg human watt bomb that's livelihood depended on how fast I can ride a bike up a mountain, those are some of the lightest, stiffest, best climbing wheels ever made, i.e. not this guy.

Those wheels would save about 400g over my current set, or I could just stop eating peanut butter at the rate of a Sam's Club double pack a month and lose that much weight in about a week. I should really go with the latter option.

Now, if I was a 58 Kg human watt bomb that's livelihood depended on how fast I can ride a bike up a mountain, those are some of the lightest, stiffest, best climbing wheels ever made, i.e. not this guy.
I hear you. At this point I'm probably 210 or so. There's no sense obsessing about the weight of anything on my bikes unless I knock a solid 30-40 off of me. I'll never win a race, but at least finishing happens consistently.

I hear you. At this point I'm probably 210 or so. There's no sense obsessing about the weight of anything on my bikes unless I knock a solid 30-40 off of me. I'll never win a race, but at least finishing happens consistently.

I hear you, I got at least 20 lbs doing nothing useful (I blame JIF almost entirely). There is a reason I have a 10-36 cassette with a 33 small ring in front set on this bike.

My favorite events are the ones that I'm not 100% sure I can finish. There is a certain freedom in knowing you have no chance of winning,and just making it you against yourself and the event itself.

I hear you, I got at least 20 lbs doing nothing useful (I blame JIF almost entirely). There is a reason I have a 10-36 cassette with a 33 small ring in front set on this bike.

My favorite events are the ones that I'm not 100% sure I can finish. There is a certain freedom in knowing you have no chance of winning,and just making it you against yourself and the event itself.
That's fair. There are some things I'm -not- confident I'd finish that remain on the bucket list. I still have a score to settle with a local 50 mile foot race from when I finished over the cutoff by a few minutes ten years ago. Eventually I'll circle back to that.

When I was riding a lot I had 53/42 on the front and 13-19 on the rear. You know that it is mostly flat in our area but there are some steep bits here and there for instance I used to occasionally climb back up the hill in Cedar Hill that gets 55+ going down. Back then I didn't have any extra weight, at least not much, but as you get older you keep growing and I'm 50 pounds heavier now.

I always thought Lance Armstrong's secret was that he had cancer as a weight loss program and that took all extra weight off of his body, then he trained to build back the muscle. Little did I know that he had other secrets.

Back