What glue do you use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The glue joint doesn't know how fast it's going or how powerful the motor is. It DOES know how much stress it's experiencing and, if necessary, how strong the materials being glued are. So a blanket recommendation based on power makes no sense. One can design to minimize stress. If you are butt gluing large 1/16" carbon fiber fins, without fillets, on a fiberglass tube, you are going to need fancy epoxy. And they'll come off, maybe. Not so if they are short, wide 5/16" balsa with good fillets.

Then there's flutter, but the consequences of thickness are similar.

Depends on the rocket. I find myself using less wood glue and more epoxy on pretty much every project these days.

Tite Bond I, II or III. Use for general paper to paper, paper to wood connections.
Tite Bond Thick and Quick for fillets.
CA for tacking stuff in place but never as the final adhesive.
BSI 15 and 30 min epoxies. When I want a faster cure time or working with materials like plastic or fiber glass where the adhesive can't soak into the materials.
T-88 Epoxy. Probably my favorite due to working time and my ability to thin it to almost water like consistency with a little heat to really make it soak into parts. This stuff will soak into wood fins, nose cones, body tubes etc. and make them stronger. Yes the bond of most wood glues is stronger than the materials being used but you can actually ,ale those parts stronger using epoxy.

Back