What glue do you use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello people. I am wondering what glue you use for low and mid power rockets. I personally use E6000 and super glue.
Hmm, this has the potential to turn into a glue thread.

(Predominantly Titebond II for wood and paper, Titebond Quick-and-Thick for fillets, sometimes epoxy for couplers and/or motor mounts, CA mostly just for hardening. Can't think of when I'd ever want to use E6000).

(Predominantly Titebond II for wood and paper, Titebond Quick-and-Thick for fillets, sometimes epoxy for couplers and/or motor mounts, CA mostly just for hardening. Can't think of when I'd ever want to use E6000).
I like the idea of using Titebond Quick-and-Thick for fillets, I might have to get some myself.

I use E6000 on my foam RC airplanes. I don't see it as a good rocket glue.

I have and use,
Titebond III
Starbond, thin, thick, and flex
BigBong 5 min black two part, and 30 min clear
Six10 thixiotopic
Bob Smith 5, 15, and 30.

Haven't really settled in to anything as my 100% go to.

I use E6000 on my foam RC airplanes. I don't see it as a good rocket glue.
I looked at E6000. Found it to fail easily because the flexibility allows it to concentrate stress at an edge and peel. I mostly just use what's left over from that experiment for glue-whipping the ends of Kevlar lines so they don't fray.
E6000 has worked great so far for me.

I am overcome with curiosity. Exactly what do you use it for, and why? I can't think of an occasion (at least for standard building tasks) where it would be the best option.
I got some E6000 from hobby lobby when I first got in to rocketry, and since then I have used it for building all my rockets. Worked great on my Hi-Flyer XL, and Boosted Bertha. Currently building my Mean Machine, and Star orbiter with it (I used epoxy for the fin fillets).
In my experience E6000 has horrible fumes and gives them off for quite a long time.
The fumes aren't that bad, super glue is much worse.

I got some E6000 from hobby lobby when I first got in to rocketry, and since then I have used it for building all my rockets. Worked great on my Hi-Flyer XL, and Boosted Bertha. Currently building my Mean Machine, and Star orbiter with it (I used epoxy for the fin fillets).
Are you saying you use it to construct motor mounts? For tube couplers? That is almost impossible for me to imagine.

@ZeroGPrints
I'm with @neil_w on this one. Details please. Which rockets ? Which joints ? How many flights ? Present condition ? We'd be lost without glue threads ! ;)
I first used it on my Hi-flyer XL. Had two flights with E12s and four flights with E35s. Unfortunately it landed in a tree on its 6th flight, and I was unable to recover it.

Edit: I used E6000 for basically everything on the rocket. Had no problems.

Last edited:
Ok so the fins stayed on the Hi-Flyer for 6 flights. Nice ! If it works it works I guess. In the words of the great Billy Joel, "Don't go changin' to try and please me". 😁

[edit] Upon further review I'm going to give the credit for keeping the fins on to the epoxy fillets.

Last edited:
What's wrong with using E6000 for those things? Worked great so far.
Hmm, I would start off with: messy, sticky, *smelly*, slow. I mean, it's an adhesive that will hold stuff together (I have some and use it for non-rocketry occasionally) but it is in no way optimal for gluing wood and paper together.

If that's what you want to use then go for it, but it is a... non-traditional choice.

I do a little woodworking so I always have plenty of TitebondII, I use it for rockets built with paper/cardboard/wood. I use Bob Smith epoxy if I have to glue on plastic parts such as transitions and engine retainers. I occasionally use Titebond Quick and Thick for fin fillets.

For lp, Elmer's (Carpenter's) for me. Feels Zen.

Bugs Bunny Vintage GIF

Oh, now you've done it.
Tightbond II-rarely
StarBond, thin, medium and thick CA
JB KwikWeld steal reinforced 5 minute epoxy to attach CR's to mmt and mmt to BT. And retainers. I also tack fins to mmt with it.
JB ClearWeld 5 minute epoxy to hold nose weight in NC
PC Super Epoxy for filets

Late to the party, but here's my list:

Mid/Low power:
Titebond III for wood/cardboard to wood/cardboard

Titebond quick n thick for fillets

BSI Gold for plastic to pretty much anything

JB Weld original (the 2-part gray steel stuff) for retainers

BSI Finish-cure for hardening larger balsa nosecones

I only have one high-power rocket atm, and I .mostly used TBIII for the construction and QnT for the fillets. But I'm looking at building a second one using West Systems Six10.

Back