What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent some quality time with Autodesk 360 Fusion. First impression is that it is an amazing CAD/CAM program, and free to hobbyists. Following along with some of their YouTube tutorial videos I was designing 3D parts in about 30 minutes, and I have no CAD background.

I will try to fully design my envisioned CNC router in it as practice...I'm hoping to have my design finalized by the new year.

Latest Lunar Module Quadcopter work.

Sometime soon I"m going to begin a "Build Thread" on this project.

The Descent Stage upper bulkhead after the strut assemblies were glued in place, spacers, and reinforcements added. 4/40 screws near the corners to help keep them from ripping out in a bad crash. The legs themselves will have a couple of weak points designed in so that in a really bad crash the legs should break at the weak spots and not rip out these upper struts. Later, slit plastic tubing will be slipped over to build up the diameters before adding appropriate coverings.

IXD8kJl.jpg

In the next photo, a top view of the upper bulkhead, and the lower bulkhead frame assembly next to it.

0BFMhl6.jpg

View of the bulkheads stacked at about the distance they will be when the vertical posts and side pieces are added.

dKLZgN0.jpg

Upper bulkhead upside down, with 10mm square tubing for motor arms dry-fit in place.

pb4CykE.jpg

Upright view with lower bulkhead underneath, and anti vibration mount for the Flight Controller dry-fit in place. Later a GPS module will be mounted to a short tower above the vibration mount. To the right, a Phantom for size reference.

q8YRHkm.jpg

Do have all the ESC's, motors, and props on hand, as well as other hardware. Have to get the descent stage assembled further before I start to wire up and mount electronic and R/C components. Hope to have it flying in less than a week, at least for its bare-bones proof-of-flight testing (with ballast added to simulate mass of later parts like legs and Ascent stage).

This is a drawing of the Descent Module by itself. For the first test flights it won't have legs, at least not realistic looking ones Other details like ladder, "porch" , and descent engine nozzle to be added if the tests go well.

B_3.GIF

Last edited:
Had a great rocketry day. Drove down to our club HP launch at our excellent new DARS site in Prairie Hill, near Waco, TX.

Got in 5 mid and high power flights.

Stole an hour here and there this and knocked out an Estes Trajector rocket that I picked up on sale two weeks ago. Added the very cool Phantom Trajector skin/wrap that John Pursley sells. Not fond of the black fins and orange pods, do I did a quick repaint to silver fins and red pods. Had a very nice first flight today on an Estes F15-6..

image.jpg

As usual, spent time making bandsaw parts. Someday I'll be able to give back to the rocketry community by being able to cut things for folks, so this bandsaw is absolutely as important as I make it appear to be.
A lot of you have given me free stuff, and I hope to eventually be able to make free stuff for you too.
Being part of a community is important to me, even if I'm not able to actively build and fly rockets. I always come back to building and flying, so here is my chance to learn tooling for making lots and lots of rocket parts, just in case anyone is getting bunched up about my tool/machine posts.
The recess in the wood was done with a tool made from the scrap stock, then it was not perfect, so I had to make another set of tools, and then finally the piece fit good enough for rocket science.:lol:
I'll jewel the crap out of it tomorrow.

More work Bandsaw 2016-10-29 001.jpgMore work Bandsaw 2016-10-29 004.jpg

Last edited:
Added another homemade video to my humble You-Tube account...[video]https://youtu.be/exn0IzHRUNE[/video]

If for some reason anyone wants to watch i also have some CTI 29mm Head End Ignition tests on there too...Enjoy! ;)

• First... I cleaned off both workbenches of two years of accumulated junk piled on top of them.
  • I inventoried all the kits that I bought over the past two years but never put in my spreadsheet. AC Supply was not left wanting.
  • Ditto for any motors I bought over the past two years.
  • Threw away all the solid glue bottles and CA bottles. Leaking epoxy bottles... etc...
  • Stored the kits in labeled boxes so I can find them.
  • Swept and vacuumed the shop
  • Charged and tested my launch controller with some spare copperheads
  • Tested 9v batteries and ditched anything that was not above 9.2v and/or was not coppertops.
  • Ordered some CA, Epoxy, and ML Dip

Wandered the shop look for my first victim... not sure yet... a Savage or a Sky Commander? Something simple to start.

Last edited:
Yesterday I sanded down the pinhole-filling spackle and first coat of primer on my Polecat BBIII. The sanding is........never...........ending..........on this project.

Launched my Madcow Mini DX3 after work this morning on an Estes E16-6. It was full of electronics. Had a Möbius for onboard video, Jolly Logic Chute Release and Altimeter 3. This was my first time using the Altimeter 3 (it came in the mail today). Love it! The plastic used for the housing could be a little more robust tho. Here's the flight data and the video. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1477937501.691437.jpg
https://youtu.be/n8-1FVmihfY

We had a Fly-in at the R/C field Sunday. We took a bunch of rockets and let the kids fly them. They had a blast and we hope they stick with it.

Mike

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

Priming/sanding/priming work continues on the Polecat.

But, I need to humble brag on my Hobby Lobby score today. Got the A8-3 bulk pack (40% off coupon on this), an E2X Sky Cruiser (clearance aisle, 40% off the original price), and a BT-55 booster/fin can for 99 cents. I found an old gift card to put toward the purchase, so when all was said and done walked out with a nice LPR stash for only 30 bucks. Heck yeah.

Spent the day pondering scale rockets. I have the 1/35 Mercury Redstone. The 1/35 Mercury Atlas is on the build pile.

Boy, a 1/35 Gemini Titan II would be a nice set extension.

BUT...

Go to 1/32 and use BT100? Or wind my own 3.44" tube?

Decisions, decisions.

Packed the 5 LPR models I built at work over the last month into my van to take home this evening.

ordered up a couple winter build rockets and started making a list-o-parts for a winter time scratch built nike Hercules...or ajax....or both!!!!

-Ground testing my L3 build.

-Fixing damage sustained by my nose cone while ground testing my L3 build... *facepalm*

ordering up a "couple' winter builds and parts for scratch built kind of went haywire. a "couple" turned into a wee bit more than a "couple", adding to my motor inventory a "little" bit, scratch built parts ARE coming as are more parts for stuff I thought of while surfing, and some stuff coming from art applewhite.

Spun some more aluminum. Made a flange for mounting my thrust plate. Leaving for Snow Ranch in a bit. Going to sign, or try to sign, some certs, and do a hand off of parts.

Acquired more tooling that will eventually lead to me building my very own rocket factory.:

Quality like this is simply not available anymore brand new.

Power King Table Saw 2016-11-05 001.jpgPower King Table Saw 2016-11-05 004.jpgPower King Table Saw 2016-11-05 002.jpg

Power King 2016-11-05 014.jpg

Power King was acquired by Atlas in 47', but I am not sure yet what year this is.

Last edited:
Turns out the published dimensions of the AeroTech 98mm cases is accurate. Test fit a 98/7680 case in my home made retainer... Fits like a Trojan.

After rebuilding the Estes Leviathan that was damaged last week due to a delay malfunction, it had its redemption flight today. No onboard video, but wish I had. Data via JL Altimeter 3. Textbook flight. https://youtu.be/IEZxt-lybssImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1478465832.081266.jpg

Sprayed paint on a handful of Estes LPR rockets, and applied decals on the Der Red Max and Mega Der Red Max.

I let the four kids each pick out two rockets for the next local launch. Then they picked out the motors. My four year old has his Magician flying on a G74-6.... :)

Latest posts

Back