What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got around to taking photos of my new Shrox Stonebreaker :) Woot!

This is based upon the plans / rocksim file from Apogee Rockets upscaled to BT60.
24mm Motor mount with a Rocketarium screw retainer.
Colour Laser printed water-slide decals.
3mm plywood fins - rear fins TTW.
Nice long PNC-60AH nose cone.

Looking forward to flying this on D/E reloads :)

Krusty

This is based upon the plans / rocksim file from Apogee Rockets upscaled to BT60.

Krusty

Really nice looking rocket. Have fun flying it. I have been looking at getting a Stonebreaker for a while, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Yesterday it was 70+ with winds under five mph so I primered the repaired/replaced fins on my TLP “Perseus II”. I was going to paint them today but it is 40 deg with 15+ mph winds, so all I got done was the sanding.

I may start one of my Semroc kits later today.

Tomorrow I may attend a launch, my first since November.

I am currently freaking out for my first club launch tomorrow morning :y: Can't wait to talk to others about rockets in person. I mean you guys are great, but oh man. See and lightly pet others rockets. Will try to get as much video and pics as I can.

The last launch got canceled and I spent a week getting ready for that one. I have not even started getting ready for tomorrow and am going to a magic show tonight so I will be up late packing the car.

Have fun!

Krusty

Nice looking rocket! It's a cool design, and you did a great job with it.

Went to the park to launch rockets with my nephew yesterday. Was sort of a blowout with high winds. Everything we sent up tended to drift almost out of the park. One landed on the other side of a locked fenced area in the schoolyard, and fortunately the wind blew it up against the chain link, and we were able to work it through a gap and get it back. Gave up and went home after 4 launches.

On the bright side, I did get to send my Maxi Alpha III up on its maiden flight, and it flew perfectly --- best launch of the 4 for the day. Sent it up on a D12-3 for the maiden flight. If I can get a wind free day, I look forward to flying it on E12's and E9's, and I also have a composite E20 that I am also looking forward to trying.

Installed charge wells and terminal blocks on my 3" Basic Blues blue tube av bay, taking my time to get it ready for a May maiden flight.

Saw dcbertelsen launch his Wildman Warrior jr named Dragon Fire on a J350

[video=youtube;vs9hThpROD0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs9hThpROD0[/video]

That was the coolest and largest launch I have ever seen. Got to play with the radio tracker to find it. Seeing that kind of power in person is crazy. No vid online can compare. Thanks for flying that in those winds.

More to come from the event

Helped setup the range for the SLI launch, which happens tomorrow!

Tonight, we all head to the banquet at the Space and Rocket Center -- dinner under the Saturn V!

-Kevin

Saw dcbertelsen launch his Wildman Warrior jr named Dragon Fire on a J350

[video=youtube;vs9hThpROD0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs9hThpROD0[/video]

That was the coolest and largest launch I have ever seen. Got to play with the radio tracker to find it. Seeing that kind of power in person is crazy. No vid online can compare. Thanks for flying that in those winds.

More to come from the event

My pleasure. It's actually "Dragon Slayer", but close enough. It was fun to watch your birds fly, they really had some wings.

In addition to this, I packed up the car, drove one of my students and met two others at the launch field. One attempted at Jr. Level 1, but had a glue joint on a coupler fail and the chute didn't push out. One broken fin, but nothing some glue won't fix. He learned a valuable lesson: be generous with glue.

Last edited:
Tonight, we all head to the banquet at the Space and Rocket Center -- dinner under the Saturn V!
-Kevin

That's awesome! Very envious.

Prepping for tomorrow. engines loaded, ran the heavy lifter through some more sims with the latest weather info, chute shrouds reefed, altimeter charged, on board video camera charging, camera ready, re-weighed everything to make sure the sims were good, need to clean the launch rods, load new batteries into the controllers, go through everything to make sure I haven't forgotten anything and then start piling it up by the door to load in the morning. Still holding my breath that NOAA is spot on with the forecast. The wind is howling out there now and a new storm system is approaching. Winds are suppose to drop to 6-9mph by tomorrow afternoon. I hope they're right..I do hope so. I know I'm excited, I can only guess what is going on with the Cub Scout boys.
KosmoKittypreflight1.jpg

For the second weekend in a row, I went to Lucerne Valley for a rocket launch and flew absolutely nothing.

In addition to this, I packed up the car, drove one of my students and met two others at the launch field. One attempted at Jr. Level 1, but had a glue joint on a coupler fail and the chute didn't push out. One broken fin, but nothing some glue won't fix. He learned a valuable lesson: be generous with glue.

His launch:

[video=youtube;5vEuKBuDuoY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vEuKBuDuoY[/video]

This morning I and about eight others cleaned the Oregon Rocketry ground support equipment and swept out the trailer. Host David Armstrong put on a good spread at lunch.

For the second weekend in a row, I went to Lucerne Valley for a rocket launch and flew absolutely nothing.

Oddly enough I can confirm this as true. :surprised:

And for the second weekend in a row I went to the dry lake bed and launched rockets! Well a rocket then, lots o rockets today.

Oddly enough more newton-seconds then than today. Report and pictures will follow within 24hr. :grin:

Last edited:
That was you? I was watching on the Ustream channel. Pretty entertaining (the whole launch, not the cato). Well the cato was entertaining too I guess ..................

Adrian

Wired the Heavy lifter for launch and mounted the camera. Wind is picking up and forecast is for 10-15mph now,which is above the launch threshold for the big cluster. I can only hope that it slackens before evening. This shouldn't impact the smaller rockets but will have an effect on Kitty's max altitude
. wired.jpgcamera.jpg

It was yesterday, but still my best flight yet

[video=youtube;fF3ltRnXfyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF3ltRnXfyU[/video]

That is my Flat Daddy II that I am using to learn for my L1 attempt in May.

29MM AT G64-7W
2079 feet
375 MPH

I have never recorded one over 1000 feet. I had no clue at all the G64 would leave the pad that fast. Chute failed to deploy, but fell in nice soft pasture at 39 MPH. Had a chirper on it, which made it really easy to find. Minimal damage.

I am going to order up a bunch more of those motors. Pretty much in my comfort zone and do not need dual deploy... or any deployment it seems ;)

That was you? I was watching on the Ustream channel. Pretty entertaining (the whole launch, not the cato). Well the cato was entertaining too I guess ..................

Adrian

I'm the fat guy with the orange long sleeve shirt and camel back

Back