What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helped a student plan his Jr. Level 1 attempt on Saturday (pending good weather), did some repair work on my Super DX3 that hit the ground a little too hard last fall, and did some reading on the forums. Talked to a friend about getting out to a HPR launch again this summer.

Got to Huntsville, for SLI, hooked up with a bunch of rocketry and NASA friends, and inspected some rockets that teams plan to fly on Saturday

Cracked open a QCC kit and started working out how I'm going to deal with finishing the inlets. So much balsa...so little time...

I purchase $ 200 worth of sand paper and JB Weld Epoxy :y: the store owner ask me what I'm gone do with it, I said better not ask......

Deep thought. How to put an AV Bay in a Lil' Rascal nosecone, and push the nosecone bulkhead back into the cone enough to fit a 38/720 motor.

Attached a parachute to a nose cone...... Lame... I know. Fins are soon to follow

Took delivery of some items from Stickershock.

First is for my K&S Satellite Interceptor

image-2967686142.jpg

Second is for my K&S Torellian Invader

image-2228161345.jpg

One cool bit is that Mark used my NAR number in the SI decal for the tail number.

Thanks Mark!

G.D.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Started assembling/gluing the balsa together for the MDRM fins, marked and drileld the holes for the rail buttons and started sanding and filling the nose cone. Order from Apogee should be delivered today, that will get me started on building the MMT. also ordered some tubular nylon, have to wait until its assembled to weigh it to see what size chute to use/how fast I want it to come down. I'll be attaching the chute via a swivel so I can change it out at the launch site depending on weather conditions. Build thread to start shortly.

Papered the fins on a Sunward Daddy Long Legs this morning.
This was my first time using paper to cover balsa.
I think I could like this:cool:
I've just started doing this as well. I think it'll be worth the extra work!

Sanded wood filler fillets along fins of Vagabond, glued launch lugs to the big cluster rocket, marked intake locations on the body tube for the QCC Explorer, gathering everything up and getting things ready for Sunday's Cub Scout launch day and the first of 2013.

Took the bandaid off to see how my handy-dandy X-Acto slash from the other day was healing.

Finished Handbook of Model Rocketry by Stein. all in the bathroom ;)

There were many ahhhh ha moments when reading.

Marked my zippered tuber's fincan for trimming. The 6" long 3" diameter LOC av-bay kit arrived yesterday so I'm moving forward with the conversion to dual deploy as it seems the quickest/shortest path to obtaining my L2 cert.

Finished Handbook of Model Rocketry by Stein. all in the bathroom ;)

There were many ahhhh ha moments when reading.
Just started that book!
SO far been pretty sweet!! I've already had an 'ahh ha' moment, and saved me some posts on here :)

Just minutes ago, I looked out the front door to find a nice new AT Sumo, and a box plastered with 1.4 stickers. Upon opening the latter, I found it to contain an H165R reload and a replacement motor case. Gotta hurry up and build to get it done in time for the March 11th launch!

I am currently freaking out for my first club launch tomorrow morning :y: Can't wait to talk to others about rockets in person. I mean you guys are great, but oh man. See and lightly pet others rockets. Will try to get as much video and pics as I can.

The last launch got canceled and I spent a week getting ready for that one. I have not even started getting ready for tomorrow and am going to a magic show tonight so I will be up late packing the car.

Last edited:
Just minutes ago, I looked out the front door to find a nice new AT Sumo, and a box plastered with 1.4 stickers. Upon opening the latter, I found it to contain an H165R reload and a replacement motor case. Gotta hurry up and build to get it done in time for the March 11th launch!

...hurry up? why, you got 11 months...or so.

Finished decaling the MA3.
I applied the decal "upside down".
And I applied Blue pigment to the NC instead of Red.
Fins on up thru=Red ,White and Blue...Red ,White and Blue....ya see.
I also took pictures of the freshly pigmented 5-55 for the 5-55 build thread.
And then I posted on TRF.

Alpha3 004.jpg

5-55 pigment.jpg

I'm sanding spackeling/filler from 8 rockets. White powder everywhere. Big fins and big nosecones take a lot of filling ;)

Got news that my newest toy has been shipped and will be here around Monday!

Taking these to my first club launch. Car packed. Now I just need to sleep or something.

EDIT: Threw the QCC in there as well. Just noticed I only had one 24mm rocket and that is the bulk of my reloads. Those two 29mm ones are it. I did not plan well for this launch at all, but it is going to be awesome.

2ND EDIT: made a quick rocket mount thing. Just held together with dowels, but it works.

Last edited:
Finished my offset attenuator for radio direction finding. Made an extra PVC rocket stand for students. Switched out nylon shock cord to Kevlar in the Warrior Jr. Built a J350 for tomorrow. Charged a bunch of batteries. Now going to pack most of what I'll be taking later tomorrow (today).

Back