What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a box of rockets and motors that are being donated to LUNAR. Sorted through said box to pull out the expended motors, and gave the rockets a once-over to see if any are in need of major work. Will be handing them off at the next club meeting. I know a couple of people here on TRF would be very interested in one of the items donated, but it's already been spoken for... :evil:

Trying to get up the energy/motivation to go through my rocket bins to see what I want to pack and move, and what I should really find a new home for...

Well I'm going to deck it out in Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems decals and name it the Overthruster (brownie points for anyone who gets the reference). So I'm thinking a Vmax for its first flight would be fitting. Either the J1520 or K2045, depends on simulation altitude and monetary situation.

Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai?

Finished paint work on my BT60 Nike Smoke & 2.5" Cherokee-I:
21487168344_31c3401abd_z.jpg
22110005955_2dcb235144_z.jpg

Now I just need to put decals on. Then I started work on a Semroc kit of an Astron Starlight clone. And this morning, I ordered three more kits from Semroc - Der V1.5, Cherokee-C & IRIS.

Fixed it for you...trust me.

Good looking rockets incidently.

Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai?

You win. Felt like making something decked out with Yoyodyne graphics, brother suggested the name. Inspiration came when messing around in open rocket and noticing that the text on the side of the high power motors say Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems on them.

To be fair, it really should be an oscillation overthruster if you're going to do it right. And let's not forget that Yoyodyne never got theirs working...

Last night, I finished gluing up a clone of the Astron Starlight. No pictures yet. Neat design, but the fins are tricky; they don't fit in the fin jig so I had to do it by eye (don't look too close).

To be fair, it really should be an oscillation overthruster if you're going to do it right. And let's not forget that Yoyodyne never got theirs working...

True. But "The Overthruster" has a better ring to it than "The Oscillation Overthruster".

And I plan on doing a better job than Yoyodyne.

Oh, I dunno, names like that are always fun to get the LCO to say. Anyway, I'll be impressed if you get it to fly through solid matter - sort of like the fiberglass rocket I saw at the last MARS launch that came in ballistic...

Oh, I dunno, names like that are always fun to get the LCO to say. Anyway, I'll be impressed if you get it to fly through solid matter - sort of like the fiberglass rocket I saw at the last MARS launch that came in ballistic...

With K powered Vamx, anything is possible :y:

You should bring those out to the GHS launch this weekend. Could be a pretty big crowd.

I would love to, but I have a Mid Term tomorrow and two exams next week. I have stay home to study :(

I will be at TRAPHX in November and these plus 3 Yellow ones will go for sale on this board soon.

I put the majority of the decals on my Cherokee-G. Sharp eyes will note that the actual "G" is not on the rocket; the decals shipped with "D"s by mistake, so Mark is sending me a couple of "G" letters to apply instead. So I'll add those after the fact. And I haven't figured out what to do with all the small number decals and the like that came with the decal set.
22138700786_62238f57da_z.jpg
21976772940_30bec7960f_z.jpg

And one with my PSII Argent, the design this model is derived from:
21976773080_969d586383_z.jpg

I also took a picture of the Astron Starlight clone that glued up the night before:
22152251162_6aa973be79_b.jpg

The rings aren't glued on yet - I decided that painting will be easier if they were attached afterwards. Oh, and placed another order with Semroc/eRockets, and bought all the parts to build their 1.17" WAC Corporal model, save for a few small bits I already had. I guess I'll essentially be building their kit, without the kit packaging since they don't sell it as a kit at the moment...

Are these buyable?

Yes this will be posted in the For Sale Section soon, I am only printing 9 at a time and will sell them a few times a year if the demand is present. So please watch the For Sale Section. I would guess in the next week or two.

If you beg him for it, I'm sure he would let you. That's what I did...

;) Knowing the number of eggfinder products you have I am sure you could use all 9 I am printing.

Well I'm going to deck it out in Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems decals and name it the Overthruster (brownie points for anyone who gets the reference). So I'm thinking a Vmax for its first flight would be fitting. Either the J1520 or K2045, depends on simulation altitude and monetary situation.

Buckeroo Bonzai Beyond the Eighth Dimension

Yes this will be posted in the For Sale Section soon, I am only printing 9 at a time and will sell them a few times a year if the demand is present. So please watch the For Sale Section. I would guess in the next week or two.

;) Knowing the number of eggfinder products you have I am sure you could use all 9 I am printing.

Only need one, it works perfectly. I do have a little problem though, I lost the red button on the switch. Where can I find another?

Ordered two of the new Estes Honest Johns from jonrocket.com. On sale for $15.23 which is over 43% off list. Threw in some needed parts to get order over $40 to get free shipping.

I have not ordered from them for some time, but always priced right and fast processing.

Finished the paint on my L2 rocket for October Skies launch on Friday. It turned out about 75% of what I was hoping for. It'll look better once it lands in the dirt and orchards. 1444882311379.jpg

Yesterday I did a small demo launch for the kids at the school where my wife works. Art Applewhite Xfire (only one motor lit, but still flew great), 18mm Hourglass, 24mm Chrome Delta saucer, 24mm Pinwheel, Flikits Corona, Deuces Wild and Thing a ma Jig, Newway N20 Demon, AVI Star Warrior clone and scratch Tube Fin. On the non saucer like rockets, went with the smallest motrors I could to keep everything low and on the field, so a couple of them did some back sliding before the chute came out. I think the kids enjoyed it. Hoping to get some of the pictures that a couple of people took to post.

I got a package today from eRockets:

WP_003588.jpg

I used the Nike Tomahawk decal for my 1.6" Nike Smoke, assuming that the "United States" text would be close enough. It seems a little big to me, but for a sport scale model, I think its close enough.
WP_003589.jpg

noffie79 asked me the other day what rocket it was I took to 5700'. When it flew one of the fins got broke off. So I had taken the fins off and was gluing them back on.

After I got done with that I took it back out and flew it to. On the G-64-10, I always wanted to see if I could fly that motor to a mile.

Last edited:
I repainted my Estes PSII Nike Smoke...the repaint isn't "correct"; however I wanted it more visible since this one tends to like landing in different places each time. I used fluorescent paint ("traffic cone" orange and 80's yellow) and followed a buddy's idea of painting the tip with silver. I like it a lot and it's much more visible now for when it lands and tries to hide. :) Side note is that I have rail buttons on the opposite side.

Last edited:
Started shopping for 4" kit with at least a 54mm hole today. I decided that I really want to fly an L before they year is out and my Punisher just won't stay under the waiver with one.

Back