What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to ROCtober with WeFly2 and Frywrxz ...

One causality to report an EZ UP Canopy.

Kenny

I cut a bunch of fins for rocket kits - have an upcoming launch at a school. The kids will receive these a couple of weeks prior and assemble them.

Fins being cut -
FinCut.jpg
I have to cut something like 250 fins!

First stage of assembling the kits -
20151011_221051.jpg
Nose cones, engine block, launch lug & fins

And a bonus shot -
FinBurning.jpg
Fin caught on fire while being cut!!
Gotta watch your laser!!

Krusty

Yesterday was launch day, sent my Callisto Flying on a G115 White Thunder, very nice flight and short recovery walk.

Today I have been working on a spread sheet that has all the ProX motors on separate tabs and slots for Delay and Altitude so that i can run the sims and populate the correct delay and altitude and then print it all out on a note card so that I dont have to take my computer out to the field to run sims. The excel file can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0rta0vq4kp76rw/motorchartsprox.xlsx?dl=0

I bought an airbrush, compressor and some paint. I'll now be painting inside during winter :)

Found a github project that does a simple javascript quiz, created a bluemix php runtime with cloudant database, populated the Tripoli TMP study guide questions into the database and voila - a way for my son to practice on his iPad before taking the TMP test at October Skies.

A little work on three projects. Installed an engine mount in the Solar Warrior. Started gluing fins on an Axion for my daughter's science fair project. Primed and sanded tubes for the Landviper kit build (build thread in LPR). Started looking over the rockets from yesterday's lauch for damage/tangles.

Ground tested separation charges this weekend...

Binder Design Excel DD: 0.9 grams for both the drogue and main parachutes (main in payload section w/ three 2-56 nylon shear pins)

Punisher: 0.8 grams for the drogue, and 0.6 grams for the main (main in nose cone w/ three 2-56 nylon shear pins)

-- Both the drogue and main had good separation, but I would consider both a minimum charge.
-- These are really light compared to CJ's build. He had 1.0 gram for the nose cone / main, and 1.4 grams for the sustainer / drogue.

Eagle Claw 4: 1.0 grams for the drogue, and 1.5 grams for the main (main in payload section w/ three 2-56 nylon shear pins)

-- Both had good separation, but I would consider both a minimum charge.

Unpacked the van after SARA's Saturday's night launch (too tired to do it when I got home). Finally flew my upscale "Solar Flare" on its first night flight on a K540 metal storm. The ring fin has about 2000 LED's on a 20 amp LIPO powered circuit. Available light photos on a totally dark night from the "K" pad. I love it! Use forward button to follow the flight.

https://fotos.nahcpj.com/sara_10102015/h5c14cfbd#h5c14cfbd

Last edited:
So i worked some more on my Motor Flight Card, which I have been using a larger less refined version of on field to help select which motors I buy and use. The raw files (with my callisto as an example) can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0rta0vq4kp76rw/motorchartsprox.xlsx?dl=0

When printed onto a 3 by 5 index card it looks like this
20151011_213648.jpg

The rows that are X'ed out are rows that I could not find the rocksim engine files for

Finished paint work on my BT60 Nike Smoke & 2.5" Cherokee-G:
21487168344_31c3401abd_z.jpg
22110005955_2dcb235144_z.jpg

Now I just need to put decals on. Then I started work on a Semroc kit of an Astron Starlight clone. And this morning, I ordered three more kits from Semroc - Der V1.5, Cherokee-C & IRIS.

So i worked some more on my Motor Flight Card, which I have been using a larger less refined version of on field to help select which motors I buy and use. The raw files (with my callisto as an example) can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0rta0vq4kp76rw/motorchartsprox.xlsx?dl=0

When printed onto a 3 by 5 index card it looks like this...

The rows that are X'ed out are rows that I could not find the rocksim engine files for

That's pretty cool (well for those that build stock kits).

Finished the new nosecone on the Troika. Didn't have any leftover red, so I went with the leftover yellow... Doesn't look too bad, I think.

1444660622537.jpg

yesterday I did this on a G-76-10 in a rocket that weighed 4.2 oz,

Wow. That's a bit more impressive than what I did. I got ~4,100' on a G60 in a rocket that weighed 8.0 oz. However the rocket was designed to fly on 5 grain I motors instead of 1 grain G motors.

yesterday I did this on a G-76-10 in a rocket that weighed 4.2 oz,

What rocket was that? I fitted an Estes M-104 Patriot with a 24mm motor mount. Been thinking about doing a few D & E launches first and then pushing her high with some composites. It weighs 4.2 oz

Thanks for the comments guys. The rocket is a Bt-55 like the ones in this picture. Took me two hours to find the one yesterday. It landed at least that far away. Also flew a BT-60 on a 38mm one grain to 4400' it only landed a half a mile away,

Epoxied tail cone and motor retainer on MIM -23B HAWK IMPROVED and fixed tip of nosecone of TLP FLAIL.
66b8899f2b77e9dea3dfc3485eb6a816.jpg

Epoxied fins, launch lugs and motor retainer on Der Tough Max. That pretty much completes the build. I like the look of it!
e7db02362a2c671949b0d31cb9a3f423.jpg

cf6393ef9d72f242af47834e60714a70.jpg

5c0f4d1c131aaebdf687d885bd4df082.jpg

Last edited:

When printed onto a 3 by 5 index card it looks like this

That looks super handy! Any chance you could port it to google drive spreadsheets as well?

That's pretty cool (well for those that build stock kits).
It works even for Custom kits, as long as you have a openrocket or rocksim file for it... The PML Callisto is just my personal one that i was using as an Example.

That looks super handy! Any chance you could port it to google drive spreadsheets as well?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kAYyh1DcjTNIXNhoyxdYPKFZOd64fqgPDfe8c6v5gso/edit?usp=sharing certainly

Continued work on a 54mm MD project today. All that's left is to complete the av-bay, figure out recovery, and fillet the fins.

Nice, what motor are you planning to launch that bird with?

Well I'm going to deck it out in Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems decals and name it the Overthruster (brownie points for anyone who gets the reference). So I'm thinking a Vmax for its first flight would be fitting. Either the J1520 or K2045, depends on simulation altitude and monetary situation.

Ordered a Binder Design Devastator with Retro Decal Package and 4.0" Dual Deploy Kit for short rockets. I'll be using this for my L2 certification after I fly it on a couple of I's to make sure that I've got it right.

Devastator2

Back