Whad Ya Get, Whad Ya Get?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Among other things, we ate good at work today, my relief came in a few hours early since his family were all working too, and my wife got me a bottle of Knob Creek.

I ended up with wired earbuds, a genealogy kit, battery operated small blower needed for the garage/man cave. Also ate lots of food too.

Younger daughter can't come down till Sunday, so I've only opened one gift, latest book from Suzanne Collins, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I enjoyed The Hunger Games books, and the first two movies were pretty darn close to the books.

Quick read, good book.

My rocketry-related gifts were hotwire foam-cutting tools for cutting and shaping styrofoam. I built one rocket from foam almost 2 years ago using other kinds of hand tools which really weren’t very good for the job, and it took a lot of time aNd made ton of dust. The foam cutters should make it a lot easier.

Not a get, but a give.

Got my partner a book on whittling and a nice Two Cherries knife.

She's a big fan of Holden Toranas, so I also made her a model kit. Big block of balsa included...

View attachment 444147
You still alive? If'n I'd given that to SWMBO I'd not be posting this...gotta be alive to post.

Absolutely nothing!! I don't celebrate Christmas as in I don't make a big deal about it. No girlfriend or wife so no wallet drain. I usually buy my Mom something and I got an insulated coffee mug so I can enjoy a hot cup of coffee every morning! I'm seriously happy no more warm coffee. If I want something I just buy it.

Last edited:
Friends of ours from years back sent us a large check to help us out, it blew us away.
The guys at the Cigar/Pipe Shop brought us a large wad of cash they collected too.

My wife's side of the family celebrated Christmas this evening and exchanged gifts, quasi Secret Santa style. My SS picked a nice present from my wish list.

A magnified desk lamp!
View attachment 443890
3 color temp modes and 6 or 7 brightness levels. Already tested it. Works like a charm. Will help a ton with assembling future EggTimer products. :)

At midnight, my wife, son and I will open our gifts here at home.

Would you mind sharing the model or part number of your new magnified desk lamp?

She has to look at my face every day so I know she has a sense of humour...
ROFL.... Oh my my...

Would you mind sharing the model or part number of your new magnified desk lamp?
It was purchased from Amazon (Link). Unfortunately they are currently out of stock. If you search Amazon for related items, I am fairly sure you can find the same item from another seller.

Last edited:
I bought my Christmas haul during Wildman's sale. I focused on the smaller motors as I am gearing up to get back into the small flyers -- I love flying my big 75mm casings, but I want to work on some other aspects of the hobby such as composite staging, minimum diameter performers, etc... So I am starting off "small" and working my way up, especially with the stagers.

Four H13's on their way, a bunch of new AT Hardware components (29mm threaded plugged forward closures, woohoo!) and a K185 extended plugged forward closure, among other items.

We are taking a similar approach, going back to smaller motors and more complex flights. I'm rebuilding the leftover parts from a crashed Majestic, it's gonna be a booster for another repaired Majestic that has an RRC-3 in the nosecone. I have it wired for airstarts, and plan to use a G138 booster / G54 longburn in the sustainer.
Most of our Wildman order is smaller reloads.

Didn't ask for much, and got more than I asked for. I got my annual new pair of slippers (with rubber soles so I can get the paper, take the trash out, etc. without putting shoes on), and our son, who is leaving next month for active duty, wanted a cordless drill, but since that's more than we were spending on the kids, *I* got a new DeWalt 20V drill and impact driver set, and Jonah got my old 18V set. :)

Didn't get any rocket related gifts, but did get some cash from Dad, going to roll that over to LOC at some point in the next week or two. Only reason I haven't spent it yet is that I haven't decided which kit yet.

-Hans

Didn't get anything hobby related, but in fairness I did issue an edict against that :) The family did get me a very very nice low-contrast embroidered Padres sweatshirt - we're hoping in-person baseball can resume after enough people get the jab.

Finally got my own Large Hadron Collider - the wife really came through this time - that's me on the left

1609461500004.png

Actually, we stopped exchanging gifts years ago, too much hassle, but I did use a holiday gift card given to me from my company to make some selfish book purchases.

Our Tin Caps are the now High-A team with the Padres. I missed live music and baseball this year, hopefully we can do both in the Summer of 2021. My son needs to go to his first game.

Finally got my own Large Hadron Collider - the wife really came through this time - that's me on the left

<infomercial begin>
"Now YOU can own your VERY OWN HadronColliderWOW!! Smash atoms! Transmute the elements! Irradiate your friends! Turn the neighbor's yappy biting dog into charcoal!! Loads of laughs! You'll be the life of the party!!!"

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! If you act now and are one of the first 100 callers to order HadronColliderWOW you'll get ABSOLUTELY FREE!..."
<end infomercial, thank goodness>

<infomercial begin>
"Now YOU can own your VERY OWN HadronColliderWOW!! Smash atoms! Transmute the elements! Irradiate your friends! Turn the neighbor's yappy biting dog into charcoal!! Loads of laughs! You'll be the life of the party!!!"

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! If you act now and are one of the first 100 callers to order HadronColliderWOW you'll get ABSOLUTELY FREE!..."
<end infomercial, thank goodness>
Oh Ptth, I'd rather have the small backpack device as demonstrated in Gostbusters!

Back