Water rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetricRocketeer

Member of the US Metric Association
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would please like to pose a topic to some extent not related to motor-driven rocketry, but still related to rocketry — water rockets.

Late this summer, the university where I teach mathematics as a lecturer (Towson University) may conduct a STEM session using water rockets. We would want to measure the altitude and the flight duration of the water rocket so as to model a quadratic function.

So I have these questions that I would like to ask, if I may:
  • What would be a good water-rocket kit to use? I have found this water rocket sold by AquaPod, but I am not sure that this would be the best option:
https://www.amazon.com/Aquapod-Bott...SN50WBEZW2M&psc=1&refRID=638RAAABASN50WBEZW2M

• Is this the best? I would like it to have everything I need, which I guess is a bottle to contain the water (and the AquaPod does not seem to have that) as well as a parachute and fins (which apparently I would need to purchase separately).

Thank you for your consideration.

Stanley

Some of those water rockets are pretty cool... If I could only find the materials to make them (the higher powered ones), I'd do that here (I've got a perfectly good sea just a kilometer away from me here).

Sourcing the materials needed to build even LPR rockets here is a PITA... Carbon Fiber for pressure vessels? My head hurts just thinking of it..

I used to fly water rockets with my Cub Scouts. I don’t recall what kits we used but I remember a good quality standing bike pump with an air gauge is crucial. Also the launch pad needs to be well anchored (at least the one we used did) so for launching on a hard surface you’ll need weights to keep it in place. Interestingly, the kids did not really get into them the way I had hoped. They preferred ‘real’ model rockets that used Estes engines. But those we only flew once a year.

Good luck,

Tony

Interestingly, the kids did not really get into them the way I had hoped. They preferred ‘real’ model rockets that used Estes engines.
Hi Tony,

That is noteworthy, that the kids didn't get into water rockets as you had hoped. It makes me a little less enthusiastic about pursuing this.

I need to reflect upon it.

Thank you for your insight.

Stanley

Hi Tony,

That is noteworthy, that the kids didn't get into water rockets as you had hoped. It makes me a little less enthusiastic about pursuing this.

I need to reflect upon it.

Thank you for your insight.

Stanley
I hate to dampen any enthusiasm for rocketry, but unfortunately that is an accurate observation. And not kidding, 'the moms' were all worried that the rockets were dangerous and risky and had a hard time understanding it was just water. (To be fair, anything under pressure does have some risk, but they talked about them 'blowing up'.) At the end of every campout we have a 'roses and thorns' sessions where the kids say what was their favorite and least favorite part of the campout. None of them mentioned the water rockets as a favorite and some did not even attend the sessions. On the other hand, I was competing with fishing, campfires, S'mores, and climbing on rocks.

However, I think if it was part of a focused activity it would have worked a lot better. If you are doing a launch in conjunction with a STEM program I think the results might be a lot different, at least I hope so. The good news is the cost is low, as is the setup time.

Good luck,

Tony

I hate to dampen any enthusiasm for rocketry, but unfortunately that is an accurate observation. And not kidding, 'the moms' were all worried that the rockets were dangerous and risky and had a hard time understanding it was just water. (To be fair, anything under pressure does have some risk, but they talked about them 'blowing up'.) At the end of every campout we have a 'roses and thorns' sessions where the kids say what was their favorite and least favorite part of the campout. None of them mentioned the water rockets as a favorite and some did not even attend the sessions. On the other hand, I was competing with fishing, campfires, S'mores, and climbing on rocks.

However, I think if it was part of a focused activity it would have worked a lot better. If you are doing a launch in conjunction with a STEM program I think the results might be a lot different, at least I hope so. The good news is the cost is low, as is the setup time.

Good luck,

Tony
Also, we are seeing more and more wildfires in the western USA as well as places like Australia that could result in long periods where smoke and fire rockets would be absolutely prohibited but advanced water rockets (see Air Command channel on YouTube for examples) would be permitted. It’s definitely not what most of us got into high power rocketry to do, but it could still be interesting when no alternative exists.

Now I have this desire to build a modified bottle rocket... "Squirt". I bet you can guess the inspiration for the graphics that I'm pondering.

Water rockets can be fun. We had a lot of fun once at Adler Planetarium in Chicago. They had a make your own stomp rocket station out side. Kiddo and I rolled a body tube around the pvc mandrels they had and did a top secret style fin set up and got some sizeable altitude. Guy from the Planetarium was impressed, then I told him I was an aero engineer and built rockets for fun. Paper stomp rockets allow for some rapid design iteration.
Do you have a Challenger Center nearby? My dad volunteers with them and they do some similar activities.

Back