Knowledge Sourcing: Motorized SMART LPR Launcher

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockie

High Plains Rocketeer
Reaction score
this:

https://www.amazon.com/ZTFON-Motori...b5-9268-866f328ea8e3&pd_rd_i=B093W9JNCM&psc=1

is a motorized camera device that can rotate 360 degrees and tilt back and forth in a 70-degree cone and is remote-controlled. It uses 2.4 GHz so it can be operated at a distance if need be.

so this got me to thinking:

why not just upscale it so it's big enough to launch low powered rockets from 1/4A to A.

But not only upscale it, but use an Arduino with wifi to control it. You could put a wind speed and direction sensor nearby and the program would read those 2 parameters and it would rotate into the plane of the wind direction and tilt with the wind for more vertical flights or into the wind for less altitude but for better recovery chances.

Everybody probably has heard of Crowd Sourcing a project. How about Knowledge Sourcing this project? I know there are a lot more smarter and experienced people here in TRF than I, and I was thinking that as a collective hive mind, we might get some pretty good ideas on how to accomplish this.

What size/power 12v DC motors would be required for a low power launcher? or MPR launcher ? Add a 2 meter 1010 rail to it .Add a tower made from carbon fiber tubes and petg3D printed brackets that attach the tower launcher to the rail. Say 5 to 10 pounds?

Arduino or ESP32 MCU could be used by using a magnetic rotary encoder like an AS5048B to sense wind direction and a hall effect sensor, an AH49ENTR-G1 could be used as the wind speed sensor. I already have the working code for both of these sensors. I use magnets on the wind cups for wind speed rotation and a rotating diametrical magnet for sensing the wind direction with the AS508B.

What I need is somebody who has experience in 12v electric motors to help determine size and power and parameters . For example, do I want a low rpm motor or a high-speed rpm motor. I suppose i want the launcher to rotate to the wind plane as soon as it sense it. as for tilt, the same I suppose. The maximum tilt angle limit could be hardcode, say no more than a 20-degree cone. But if you had a handheld tft display remote you could override it and it would display the wind speed and the wind direction , such you could actually enter a tilt angle within that 20-degree cone, based on previous launches. The data collected from many flights could all be logged to an Influxdb time series database and a Grafana dashboard would be used to visualize the data.. You could put a routine in to check the database of previous flights and the app would provide suggestions for the conditions you are flying under. The casing for this launcher could be made from 3D printed PETG CF.

I'm looking forward to comments, suggestions, recommendations, and of course naysayers. So what do you think?

Back