Visited Colorado Springs and Penrose...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke strawalker

Reaction score
Hi all! Just returned from two weeks on the road after leaving the MIL's house in Indiana returning to Texas via Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and a tiny bit of New Mexico. WONDERFUL trip thru the mountains really refreshes the soul for us flatlanders down on the Texas coast!!!

Anyway, I planned on stopping in at Apogee Components in Colorado Springs. We stayed in Motel 6 in CS after leaving Rocky Mountain National Park at dark and getting into CS about 11:30-midnight. We got up, loaded up, and set off to find Fillmore Ridge Heights. Turns out it was 2 blocks behind the Motel 6! Handy! We drove down thru the nice little industrial park and got out at Apogee, camera in hand, with my wife and 3 1/2 year old daughter. They have a really nice lobby/storefront area with a lot of nicely finished rockets on display, and some pegboard sales racks, and can also get anything else you want from the back that's too big for the pegboard. Michelle was very nice and gave us the 3 minute tour, as it's mostly offices and warehouse with tons of kit parts and shipping/assembly area, and meeting rooms and Tim Van Milligan's office. He came out to greet us and visited with us for a few minutes, but knowing he's busy I didn't keep him a long time. He showed me his newest project he's working on, hoping to get flying soon and get kitted out soon (a VERY cool looking futuristic looking 'space tourism/exoatmospheric business jet' looking rocket that strongly resembles a Learjet!) We talked about rockets, RockSim, and our club back home here, Challenger 498. We laughed as Michelle played with my daughter Keira with a little 'rocket pen' toy that you pushed a button and a spring loaded launch pad shot the finned rocket ink pen about four feet in the air, and Keira was giving the full 5 second countdown and 'launching' it like she has at the launches here before. Tim's daughter is 3 1/2 too:) I saw a TON of rockets I'd have loved to buy while I was there, but settled for a 1/150 Sky Shenzou, a Quest Tomahawk, and a builders resource pack, since I have some other irons in the fire at the moment. We had a nice chat and saw some neat stuff!

After a VERY foggy drive to the summit of Pike's Peak, and a white knuckle descent for my wife thru the fog to the midpoint (and she wasn't even driving!) we headed south for Penrose. After a bit of searching and asking quick directions at the service station, we zipped down to Estes and pulled in the parking lot. The first thing we noticed was the weeds growing out of every crack in the parking lot and that the buildings looked a bit, um, unkept (trying to be polite). We got out and headed for the door, and while reading a Sharpie-scrawled message taped to the inside of the door a somewhat unfriendly and annoyed sounding receptionist voice wafted from a nearby speaker asking if she could help us. I asked about the note as I was reading it, which stated on such-n-such date they no longer had a company store and no tours. She quickly and somewhat more courteously replied that, "sorry, we don't have a store anymore and no public access, sorry, thanks for coming". (speaker off). SSSOOOOO.... We snapped a few pics (including one thru the door of a glass case in the old lobby that had some really nice scale/sport rockets from Estes's heyday that were probably there when it was a storefront area, old BUILDER'S kits not the toy buy-n-fly they sell now) and took a pic of the missile picnic table area, drove back past the warehouses, and split for Canon City and Royal Gorge.

I was somewhat disappointed but not too surprised I guess, that they don't have any 'public access' anymore. After all, the Ertl farm toy factory and Spec-Cast factory I visited ten years ago in Dyersville, Iowa, no longer has a storefront or tours either; they have an agreement with a local big mom-n-pop toy store in downtown Dyersville that handles their storefront stuff. Ten years ago I even got an impromptu tour and hunt for a scale tractor model I really wanted to buy while I was there from Joe Ertl III himself, after closing time! (Now THAT'S service!) Now given that the toy farm tractor market is probably 100 times the size of the model rocket market, I guess I just expected the 'worlds largest model rocket company' to be a bit more, friendly perhaps?? My wife Betty asked me as we left, "are they in trouble?" and I told her 'Lord I hope not; they're the primary manufacturer of model rocket motors!" She replied that the weeds growing in the parking lot and the buildings looking a little shabby is usually a presage of a business in trouble. I commented on the buyouts of Estes over the years and the 'toy buy-n-fly' business model (which is a choice they made that I understand even if I don't necessarily agree with it) and that I was somewhat surprised in this day and age of mergers, moves, and outsourcing that they were even still in Penrose, as it's at least 35 miles from both Colorado Springs and Pueblo, which are off the beaten path as well, and a long way from chemical suppliers for rocket engines and other suppliers as well as from shipping terminals/distribution points. Betty, ever in former retail/manager/personnel dept. view, commented that the labor pool was probably pretty cheap in Penrose. Probably quite true.

Anyway, if you're visiting Colorado, stop by Apogee, talk rockets, take the tour, visit with Tim and Michelle, and pick up some of their excellent products. Don't bother stopping in Penrose- read the article in LAUNCH magazine a few month's back and if you pass by the Estes plant, reflect on former glory and keep going, because you can't go in the front door. :(

OL JR :)

He showed me his newest project he's working on, hoping to get flying soon and get kitted out soon (a VERY cool looking futuristic looking 'space tourism/exoatmospheric business jet' looking rocket that strongly resembles a Learjet!)

Would that be the Lexx-Jet pictured here? https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter215.pdf

Yep, that's the one... :) Neat looking rocket-- cool to fly beside their 2001 Orion Transport... OL JR :)

*sigh* I remember my tours of the old Estes fondly... They were in the early 80s and Vern was still there... It was like going to see the president of the United States... But cooler! The store was not in the front lobby, rather back and down a hallway to the right as I recall... I bought 2 Centuri 5066 shuttles for $6 each back in the day. I'm sorry those days are over:cry:.

*sigh* I remember my tours of the old Estes fondly... They were in the early 80s and Vern was still there... It was like going to see the president of the United States... But cooler! The store was not in the front lobby, rather back and down a hallway to the right as I recall... I bought 2 Centuri 5066 shuttles for $6 each back in the day. I'm sorry those days are over:cry:.

Yeah I feel the same way... when I was in Colorado ten years ago (I basically retraced a trip I made back when I was single and dating a girl I met online in Iowa, but with a few extras thrown in) I got to Royal Gorge at dark, and everything was shut down and didn't get to see or do anything. I had missed Estes by about an hour or so too, so I wasn't a happy camper. (my fault for trying to do everything in one day after having left Cheyenne WY at 8 am.)

Now I'll never see the interior of Estes... :( I just happened to catch an older fellow coming out of the Ertl plant/storefront front door ten years ago after leaving the National Farm Toy Show in Dyersville in what I thought was plenty of time to get across town to their factory showroom. I asked if they had a 1/8 scale Farmall M and he let me back in, we looked, came up empty, and I was about to leave, when he offered to look in the larger Spec-Cast factory store down the street. I accepted and followed him up there in his ~10 year old van and he unlocked the store for me and we looked around, still came up empty, and then he offered to look inside the factory since they often pull a few models for him to inspect, and if I didn't mind buying one without the box, he'd happily sell me one if they had pulled one. Of course I didn't mind. (I didn't know it was Joe Ertl at that point). He unlocked and we passed the stopped assembly conveyor belts and went up to the loft, and looked through about a hundred models in cubbyholes in shelving racks until I found one, we had a nice chat, I paid him the $100 or so, and he locked it in the register drawer and I thanked him profusely for taking the time to find it for me and going to all that trouble, and introduced myself and told him where I was from. He smiled, stuck out his hand, and said "I'm Joe Ertl III". I was flabbergasted! Here's the owner of the company, and he's a plain but nicely dressed older fellow driving a ten year oldish Ford van, and going to all this trouble for one wayward tourista type after closing time. I thanked him again and commented how our family had bought a brand new Ford 5610 tractor the year before and paid $10,000 cash for it and didn't get the kind of service he had just provided for a $100 toy. He told me, "Well, that's how we built our business". VERY nice guy! Too bad we don't have more of them! I asked him to sign the tractor, which he did. I was just blown away...

Like you said, much like meeting the US President, only cooler...Very kewl... OL JR :)

Turns out it was 2 blocks behind the Motel 6! Handy! We drove down thru the nice little industrial park and got out at Apogee, camera in hand. They have a really nice lobby/storefront area with a lot of nicely finished rockets on display, and some pegboard sales racks, and can also get anything else you want from the back that's too big for the pegboard.

Anyway, if you're visiting Colorado, stop by Apogee, talk rockets, take the tour, visit with Tim and Michelle, and pick up some of their excellent products.

One of my goals is to get one of those huge brown signs on Interstate 25 saying "Model Rocket Museum, Exit 145." I'd like to make this an official tourist destination. Anyone know the procedure?

One of my goals is to get one of those huge brown signs on Interstate 25 saying "Model Rocket Museum, Exit 145." I'd like to make this an official tourist destination. Anyone know the procedure?

Hmmm... You'd have to contact the state on that one, and find out the prerequisites... I presume you're talking about a brown 'state park' type of highway sign, not a billboard kind of sign... I'd figure those would get expensive... :)

Good luck and thanks again for your time, efforts, and your excellent service and products! OL JR :)

PS. If you need a funny, check this out... relates to what we were talking about briefly... :) https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=47601&highlight=Vista

...The first thing we noticed was the weeds growing out of every crack in the parking lot and that the buildings looked a bit, um, unkept (trying to be polite). We got out and headed for the door, and while reading a Sharpie-scrawled message taped to the inside of the door a somewhat unfriendly and annoyed sounding receptionist voice wafted from a nearby speaker asking if she could help us. I asked about the note as I was reading it, which stated on such-n-such date they no longer had a company store and no tours. She quickly and somewhat more courteously replied that, "sorry, we don't have a store anymore and no public access, sorry, thanks for coming". (speaker off)....
Wow. :(

I think I'll just remember it as it was when I visited in 1976. They even launched rockets as part of the tour.

I'm going to make more of an effort to support the other BP motor mfr.

I think I'll just remember it as it was when I visited in 1976. They even launched rockets as part of the tour.

Oh, well. At least you'll teach Estes a lesson. :dontknow:

Quest is positioned to pick up the slack should Estes fail. Expect prices to increase dramatically in that event.

The LexxJet? Tim spilled the beans! or was it the liquid hydrogen?

I am fininshing some decals for it. It is a really neat shrocket.

He showed me his newest project he's working on, hoping to get flying soon and get kitted out soon (a VERY cool looking futuristic looking 'space tourism/exoatmospheric business jet' looking rocket that strongly resembles a Learjet!)

Would that be the Lexx-Jet pictured here? https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter215.pdf

Geez, you think Tim could have photoshopped that stain off my shirt. Actually, it was a little warm so I doused myself with water. We lost at least one rocket that day, and Aspire I think.

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel too...

I applaud and appreciate Estes for their support in providing a large chunk of the motors that keep us LPR BP guys in the air, and for their interesting and somewhat innovative rockets like the Astrovision, Astrocam, and Oracle, which open some interesting possibilities for rocketeers, though I do wish they'd come out with a bit more advanced versions of these, like a 35mm format Astrocam or Oracle/Astrovision with more memory and better resolution for more 'advanced users'. I remember the days when the Estes catalog was dozens of pages of every kind of rocket imaginable, of every kind of motor imaginable, of every part you could possibly ask for, all in one place. It saddens me because that broad approach has been given over to a narrower lower common denominator approach with far less options, but I'm glad they're still in the business and hope that one day they re-expand back to more choices and products like we remember.

But I will support other motor manufacturers, both of BP and as soon as my finances allow, AP. I'm glad that we now have as many choices as we do with as many varied manufacturers as we have, even if most companies are more 'niche marketers' now instead of the old broadline manufacturers doing everything for 'one stop shopping'. I guess those days are probably over, but that's not all bad. At least there are now dozens of companies to choose from, depending on what flavor you want to pursue, whether it's HPR, LPR, MPR, scale, contest, sport, futuristic, payloads, electronics, cameras, what have you, there is probably a manufacturer out there that makes something you want or close to it. It's a far cry from the rocket world where there were only two poles, one in Penrose and one in Phoenix. That's a good thing.

I wish them the best, along with ALL our vendors and suppliers, and intend to patronize as many of them as I can. OL JR :)

Ditto. I visited with my parents at about the same timeframe. I even got to launch one of those old Patriot models out at the little circular launch area they had.

Sad. :(

The LexxJet? Tim spilled the beans! or was it the liquid hydrogen?

I am fininshing some decals for it. It is a really neat shrocket.

Neat? "Freaking awesome" is the adjective that springs to my mind.

I'll be picking up one of those babies. :cool:

The first thing we noticed was the weeds growing out of every crack in the parking lot and that the buildings looked a bit, um, unkept (trying to be polite).

As long as they keep the Mables hummin' I'm not concerned with the looks on the outside. I'd be happy to chip in on some Round-Up for the weeds, for the next TRFer that makes the trip. ;)

As long as they keep the Mables hummin' I'm not concerned with the looks on the outside. I'd be happy to chip in on some Round-Up for the weeds, for the next TRFer that makes the trip. ;)

Ditto. Just keep the motors coming, and my kids like the rockets they make, and I like some of them too. If they're not open to the public, it doesn't much matter what the joint looks like...lol

Ditto. Just keep the motors coming, and my kids like the rockets they make, and I like some of them too. If they're not open to the public, it doesn't much matter what the joint looks like...lol

Yes quite correct I'm sure they'd have some comments about the appearance of some of our farm buildings... LOL:)

Doesn't really matter what it looks like I guess but, I dunno, I just expected a little more from 'the world's largest model rocket company' I guess...

Oh well... :) As long as they're cranking out motors... :p OL JR :)

Ya know another thing I just thought of, in reading other posts about all the clearouts of rocket stuff at Targets and WalMart thinning the herd in respect to rocket stuff...

Seems to me that Estes's whole "buy-n-fly" modus operandii business model is predicated on the widespread exposure afforded by having their product on toy department shelves in the major 'big box' stores that 99% of us shop at. I can understand Estes (or it's parent company) pursuing that business model even if I don't agree with it, but if that shelf space goes to something else-- where does that leave Estes?? Most of their products, other than engines and a few of their more sophisticated kits, are geared to newbies, kids, and one-shot Charlie's.

If that shelf space goes to something else, what's plan B??

Ya know another thing I just thought of, in reading other posts about all the clearouts of rocket stuff at Targets and WalMart thinning the herd in respect to rocket stuff...

Seems to me that Estes's whole "buy-n-fly" modus operandii business model is predicated on the widespread exposure afforded by having their product on toy department shelves in the major 'big box' stores that 99% of us shop at. I can understand Estes (or it's parent company) pursuing that business model even if I don't agree with it, but if that shelf space goes to something else-- where does that leave Estes?? Most of their products, other than engines and a few of their more sophisticated kits, are geared to newbies, kids, and one-shot Charlie's.

If that shelf space goes to something else, what's plan B??

THAT answer is unfortunately well known. Just ask McCullough or Rubbermaid, or one of the other manufacturers who got dropped by big box stores after gearing the majority of their production toward that market. McCullough's brand name is now owned by a Japanese company but old products (parts etc. are sometimes not supported) and Rubbermaid is owned by a holding company.

When you sell more than 50 percent of your production to one customer, you have to keep that customer happy at all costs...

Back