V2 veer to the left?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mart50

Reaction score
The launch appeared to be straight than the rocket veered to the left. Does anyone know the reason why?

Attachments

• E98E2CE0-FB19-449C-9C03-5CF852C576F5.jpeg
    E98E2CE0-FB19-449C-9C03-5CF852C576F5.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 48
Could be a lot of reasons.
Some more info that could be useful to hone in on what happened is needed:
-What was the weight of the rocket?
-What motor was used?
-Size(diameter) and length of launch rod? 1/8? 3/16? 1/4? 36 inches long?
-Wind speed at launch?
-Kit/scratch build?

As has already been stated, there could be a lot of factors. Was it windy? Too low of an impulse motor for the rocket? Rod whip? What kit is this and what motor did you use? I have a lot of V-2's and generally put larger motors in them due to their weight and the amount of fin surface area.

I've flown lots of V-2s and of all sized. Must be enough weight in the nose for the correct CG.
I NEVER fly one at 5:1 ratio, they are poor aerodynamically.
I like mine to jump off the pad otherwise they lay over in the coast phase.

I saw a V-2 do that a few weeks ago. Winds were light to none. I mean, it was up and took a hard turn to the right. We were all left scratching our heads as to why after many successful launches. It would have been easy to blame it on wind if there was any.

I saw a V-2 do that a few weeks ago. Winds were light to none. I mean, it was up and took a hard turn to the right. We were all left scratching our heads as to why after many successful launches. It would have been easy to blame it on wind if there was any.

Seen plenty of unexplained flights like that including a few of my own. Otherwise very stable straight flying rockets with no wind cocking to blame, flying off in one direction or another. Other than being under powered don't know what else would cause it.
Thrust Misalignments of Fixed-Nozzle Solid Rocket Motors.pdf (rsandt.com)

I find that when I launce my large V-2 it has a tendency to always head towards London, which seems to also be to the left of our clubs launch site. Maybe it is an inherited design flaw since they were made just for this in the 40's ?? 🧐

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    209.4 KB · Views: 14
  • upright.png
    upright.png
    370.5 KB · Views: 14
The launch appeared to be straight than the rocket veered to the left. Does anyone know the reason why?

Normal fight pattern for many of the v2s I have seen fly. I guess it was preparing a ballistic entry.

Back