Using a Jolly Logic chute release for my level 1?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attached to the recovery harness too close to the chute, and it kept the whole chute cradled from beneath even after the JL let go, thus preventing air from ever inflating the chute

I have experienced this exact failure mode. I currently have the chute on the end of the harness, about 2 feet from the nosecone, so it flutters in the breeze above the nosecone and rocket body during descent. This seems to work well. The nomex is attached to the opposite end of the harness, so the chute is pulled out of the burrito at ejection.

I strongly recommend the following steps in a checklist when using a JLCR:
  1. After packing, grasp the chute bundle in such a way that it won't come completely undone, then perform a release test to make sure nothing binds.
  2. Close up the chute release once more with the chute packed exactly the same (since you didn't allow it to come completely undone in the release test).
  3. Hold the shock cord near the chute bundle and shake it hard to make sure the chute doesn't work outside the rubber band and release.
  4. Turn the chute release back on!
Edit: Revising this based on discussion a few posts down:

Also, don't use the stock check your rubber bands , as many folk have found them to be in case they have become brittle and inelastic. In addition to the bands from Jolly Logic, I found these two Alliance products from Amazon to match the OEM sizes, but see below for discussion of latex content:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008X09UNC
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008X09P96

Last edited:
That would be the one. Sounds like you're in good hands. Beware, while he's a good magician, his jokes are terrible. 🤣

Sam is @samb here on TRF.
But he's a great showman...

Did my L1 with LOC Patriot 4in on H195T to 1500ft. Winds were good. Almost landed on the portapotties. George will probably advice if the JLCR is needed at Gunther. Maybe he'll recommend waiting until next month. Maybe the cows will bring it back...

I have a JLCR and had a good bit of experience using it before I tried for my LVL 1. Listening to the prevailing wisdom of folks at the field and wanting to keep it simple I opted not to use it. I was flying a quantum tube 1/4 scale PML Patriot on an H123.

I regret not using it.

Flight went fine and everything worked as it should. Chute came out at apogee about 1200’ and it drifted forever. Probably 1/2 mile. By the grace of the rocket gods I found it next to the road undamaged and got my Level 1.

I use it all the time now and have never had a failure. I’d practice with some midpower rockets and get some experience with the JLCR and then go for your Level 1. It’s true if you screw up with the JLCR and your rocket lands with a thud you won’t get your Level 1. It’s also true that if you never find your rocket by playing it safe, you also won’t get your Level 1.

I have a chute release and I can count on one hand the amount of times it has actually worked. Regardless of how the chute is folded or how tight the band is, the pin ALWAYS sticks in the socket. I would not suggest using it on a cert flight. They're a bigger issue than they're worth. Mine just sits in a box somewhere now.

I strongly recommend the following steps in a checklist when using a JLCR:
  1. After packing, grasp the chute bundle in such a way that it won't come completely undone, then perform a release test to make sure nothing binds.
  2. Close up the chute release once more with the chute packed exactly the same (since you didn't allow it to come completely undone in the release test).
  3. Hold the shock cord near the chute bundle and shake it hard to make sure the chute doesn't work outside the rubber band and release.
  4. Turn the chute release back on!
Also, don't use the stock rubber bands, as many folk have found them to be brittle and inelastic. I found these two Alliance products from Amazon to match the OEM sizes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008X09UNC
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008X09P96
Jolly Logic rubber bands have more latex than the Advantage line from Alliance (see their "Pale Crepe" for our spec).
And our new black bands are increased UV-tolerance.
But all bands get old and dry eventually, so make that a maintenance item.

I have a chute release and I can count on one hand the amount of times it has actually worked. Regardless of how the chute is folded or how tight the band is, the pin ALWAYS sticks in the socket. I would not suggest using it on a cert flight. They're a bigger issue than they're worth. Mine just sits in a box somewhere now.
Just a thought, you know you can rotate that socket the pin is pushed into right? If you aim it so the pin is parallel with the direction of pull it should come out easier.

Jolly Logic rubber bands have more latex than the Advantage line from Alliance (see their "Pale Crepe" for our spec).
And our new black bands are increased UV-tolerance.
But all bands get old and dry eventually, so make that a maintenance item.
Good to know. The two that I bought must have been sitting on the shelf for a while, and maybe the same happened to folks I've talked to. When I run low on bands (which I use for all sorts of things), I'll order some of yours directly.

Good to know. The two that I bought must have been sitting on the shelf for a while, and maybe the same happened to folks I've talked to. When I run low on bands (which I use for all sorts of things), I'll order some of yours directly.
There's nothing magic about our bands. Def buy your own for convenience. We choose the ones with the highest latex content (more stretchy, fits more situations), and lately some ones that stand up a little better in the sun. And we have to find them in bulk.

Just make sure what you use is elastic—no zip ties, y'all.

I think it would be interesting to experiment with longer bands and multiple wraps on really big chute bundles, but I don't fly really big rockets these days. There's a mistaken notion that an eight-foot chute can't/shouldn't be released by Chute Release, but in reality we are really just talking about holding a fabric bundle closed in the slipstream.

I have a chute release but I'm not using it for my cert flight. One more thing to go wrong(Not on JLs end either). But I've been using it with low and mid power to help get used to it, it works very well I don't want to chance it. Good luck.

I, and I'm confident 100s of others, have never had one fail to release except when I forgot to turn it on. :) There are some failure modes that are not the fault of the release, but it has always released.

How did the L1 flight go? I was occupied with a bunch of things of my own and didn't get to pay attention to the cert flights Saturday.
Thats okay, i had tunnel vision too. I wish i had watched that level 2 cert! I heard it though haha

Mine went okay, we spent probably 30 minutes sanding down the coupler it was jusy way too tight. they convinced me to use the jolly logic and we set it before we sanded. I was walking to get in line and went back just to double check if it was still on. It was off and the cable released. Not thinking i reattached it but i think i did (luckily) too loose and the chute opened at apogee. I remember during the count down thinking 3..2...1...OH **** I FORGOT TO CHARGE IT AFTER I BOUGHT IT!! haha it worked out. It landed across the street behind someones fence, but i got my L1!

Is there a face i can put to your profile? Did i talk to you? I might not be at the next launch but if i am ill come just to have fun and volunteer

I'm not sure, it was more of good for her. I wasnt sure if they would consider that a good flight. Thats great.

I'm not sure either. It clearly says "Recovery system deployed" and "Safe recovery" in the NAR form. Not sure what it says on the Tripoli form but imagine it's similar. I guess as long as the rocket can be relaunched immediately without repair, that it's a pass?

1698278908390.png

I think the chute slipped out of my JLCR on one of my flights. I thought I had it on tight.

I'm not sure either. It clearly says "Recovery system deployed" and "Safe recovery" in the NAR form. Not sure what it says on the Tripoli form but imagine it's similar. I guess as long as the rocket can be relaunched immediately without repair, that it's a pass?

View attachment 611873

I think the chute slipped out of my JLCR on one of my flights. I thought I had it on tight.

Common failure mode. Can you post picture of how you had it rigged?

View attachment 611873

I mean yeah I guess she can fly it again. I was a little confused about the rules until I printed out those rules.

I just went and got hair bands for my chute release a week or so ago and I'll make sure they are tight.

Just a thought, you know you can rotate that socket the pin is pushed into right? If you aim it so the pin is parallel with the direction of pull it should come out easier.
FYI, the latest Chute Releases (that began shipping a week or two ago) have a more free-pivoting swivel that largely should eliminate the problem of the pin being pulled at a catchy angle.

FYI, the latest Chute Releases (that began shipping a week or two ago) have a more free-pivoting swivel that largely should eliminate the problem of the pin being pulled at a catchy angle.
Just bought one a couple weeks ago. How do you tell the difference in the swivel to confirm if you have the "more free-pivoting swivel?"

Latest posts

Back