Jolly Logic Chute Release Packing Advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaSiren33

Reaction score
Hey, I'm using the Jolly Logic Chute Release for the first time, I have tied it around the parachute and am having a successful test deployment. My only question is what should I do with the parachute shroud lines? Do you guys recommend rolling and packing it with my parachute and putting the chute release band around both the parachute and shroud lines or just the parachute? Thank you!

Ditto the advice above. It's important to have the lines folded in the chute. Read and understand the instructions, Watch and copy the videos. Set your altitude and you'll have a good flight. Can't say it's not nerve-racking the first time, or second, or third, but you'll get there. Test before you fly like the videos show.

I just got my JollyLogic chute release today. I built an Estes Olympus as a test mule for it. Gonna work out everything with that first and low altitude flights. I have a thread in LPR forum that for results. Seems better to test it on a cheaper smaller rocket first...

As mentioned above, make sure you turn it on again after doing the release test on the ground, as it shuts off after the test. Then be careful not to push on the two buttons as you secure the chute in the band. I fold my chutes the same as post #2, it always works, and make sure that there is no stray fold or shroud line for the pin and ring to catch on as it releases and snaps around the chute bundle. One more tip - if you are using a flame protection blanket, make sure it is attached to the shock cord at least two feet below the parachute so that it pulls away from chute bundle while the whole thing is descending (before the chute is released). I use my JLCR for MPR and HPR, it is a great invention to minimize drift. As others said also, watch the video on the product web site, more than once.

On the Big Daddy Today..Made sure it was on, it blinks at the atl you want the band to snap.

Haha, the “I’m extremely nervous” quote got me laughing.
I think I expect like 3 or 400 feet out of a D12-3 on my big daddy so I haven’t even thought to JCLR it, but might next time because why not.

Haha, the “I’m extremely nervous” quote got me laughing.
I think I expect like 3 or 400 feet out of a D12-3 on my big daddy so I haven’t even thought to JCLR it, but might next time because why not.
I can't even explain the Bermuda triangle of a launch area I have an I'm not kidding. I just modded that Big Daddy for hours then it has a handmade nomex chute protectors in it which took another hour and a half, then about $140 plastic pc of electronic equipment that was in it. I made a dry run it did ok, but this like it went up and to the opposite direction that it landed last time. I have everything I'm building one for a E motor and one more for a 29mm motor. But all will follow this build platform

Ummmmm, I always set my chute release for the highest altitude a site is appropriate for. If a chute tangles or takes more time to fully inflate, the rocket can hit the ground. I've seen that happen. I do 500 feet for heavier rockets and larger chutes. Takes more time to inflate. Doing 100 feet doesn't leave much margin of error.

Ummmmm, I always set my chute release for the highest altitude a site is appropriate for. If a chute tangles or takes more time to fully inflate, the rocket can hit the ground. I've seen that happen. I do 500 feet for heavier rockets and larger chutes. Takes more time to inflate. Doing 100 feet doesn't leave much margin of error.
LOL, it was a test. I wouldn't buy a Jolly Logic for 24mm D Big Daddy...........

I pull my chutes to a point, fold them into halves a few times, then put the lines inside the chute, and fold over once more. Then, z-fold it up top to bottom and strap on the chute release.
Also (shown to me by another club member): if space allows, separate the two sides of the rubber band to maximize its hold around your parachute, left and right.
DO the John Bean "shake test" each time.
DO remember to turn it on before sliding your rocket onto the rod or rail. (The first time I forgot: humbling. The second: humiliating.)
GREAT invention!

Added two more safety teathers, one to the main point, then then kevlar to the pin. I put my 48" chute in it with a hand towel to mock the shock cord. It fits perfectlyfor that size laundry, and got a power pack at Walmart for the Aerotech Interlock launch controller. Praying for a clear day this Saturday. And the pack has USB ports so if need be I can charge the JL.

Attachments

• 20230723_135739.jpg
    20230723_135739.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230724_113701.jpg
    20230724_113701.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
It was just a test really. I wanted to watch it, and more importantly get my rocket back with that one! I have a few other rockets I'll use it on, pretty much all high power when that time comes. But thank you, wasn't trying to be rude, I apologize if it came off that way!

Going back now and thinking about it. I was getting advice to test your release before you put it on or in something good...

This area is do small and I wanted to see the release work. That day was crazy too with tornadoes in the area around town so I was already on alert and it wasn't really that windy, but in a rush to get it up. But In that spot I didn't want to chance anything anymore 100 feet up. That Big Daddy had flown there a few times and has always gone up good and landed, just the opposite direction of what it did when I put the release in it. That could be because of the really adding weight to one side or it was the wind or the rod moved, idk. I'll have to go back and look at the video.

Another thing about that baseball fence where the rocket landed or went torwards is locked. And it goes all the way around at that height if about 8 feet. I'd go over if I had too, but only one time recently has the gate been unlocked and I got a good lauch in with my Big Bertha a C6-3. Anyways I'm learning more about them, and adding a streamer to the release finally in case of separation maybe I'll see it. I got the extra tethers on the pin and main(maybe I said this above), I'm going to use hairties* once I use all the rubber ones, and then I'll toss them every flight. Thanks guys! Still going for my L1 and then L2, updates to come. I bought a GPS tracker I might add to this in case of separation, well see.

Editied, ugh my phone. My fault should proof read...

Last edited:
My only advice is to be sure it is tightly attached. If it doesn't feel tight, it is loose.

I've lost two rockets that had a late ejection that were going fast enough to open the chute with the chute release attached. Practice and test.

My only advice is to be sure it is tightly attached. If it doesn't feel tight, it is loose.

I've lost two rockets that had a late ejection that were going fast enough to open the chute with the chute release attached. Practice and test.
Use an immobile sled for your chute/chute release. That used to happen to me. It doesn’t anymore.

Learn from my mistake, make sure the lines holding the parachute closed are tight/not too tight? Still figuring out the right tension. I almost lost a rocket because it opened at apogee. Thinking back, it was a little loose. next time ill shake it around a bit to make sure. It also could be from forgetting to charge it out of the box, it could have opened as a safety feature when it dies.

If someone has advice on that id love to hear it.

Learn from my mistake, make sure the lines holding the parachute closed are tight/not too tight? Still figuring out the right tension. I almost lost a rocket because it opened at apogee. Thinking back, it was a little loose. next time ill shake it around a bit to make sure. It also could be from forgetting to charge it out of the box, it could have opened as a safety feature when it dies.

You have to wrap the parachute tight enough "not" to come out, but not so tight that it makes the device inoperable due to high tension.

My experience is that you need it to be wrapped pretty tight, and that reliable operation is very close to excess tension, especially with slick parachutes.

Make sure the tether you are using to attach your chute release to your shock cord is long enough. If you leave too much slack in the chute shroud lines then the chute can be pulled out of the chute release after ejection. The tether that comes in the box is not super long but works perfectly well as long as you make sure all the shroud lines are folded inside the chute.

Shroud lines should be tucked into the gores. Not hanging loose. Run the shroud lines up a gore and down a different gore. this keeps them separated. Fold the chute keeping lines inside. Wrap JLCR binder around folded chute. there should be NOTHING else going around chute bundle.

I would like to add..... Make sure you shake test the thing well, AFTER you pack it and attach the Chute Release.....
I did NOT shake test my set up hard enough on my LVL 2 Cert flight, and I had to go chase it after the main chute
must have slipped out of it & unfolded @ over 5000 ft. Thank God for GPS.

Has anyone had really good results with the little hair bands …..instead of the rubber bands.....
I've read several posts about it, thought about trying it.

I would like to add..... Make sure you shake test the thing well, AFTER you pack it and attach the Chute Release.....
I did NOT shake test my set up hard enough on my LVL 2 Cert flight, and I had to go chase it after the main chute
must have slipped out of it & unfolded @ over 5000 ft. Thank God for GPS.

Has anyone had really good results with the little hair bands …..instead of the rubber bands.....
I've read several posts about it, thought about trying it.
I use a 3/4" elastic band (can buy on Amazon). Works great! Easily adjustable to size of chute. Doesn't snag on chute like rubber band.

JLCR.jpg

Learned this trick right here on the Rocketry Forum!

Back