Upscale Astrobee 1500

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some small overspray areas to fix and I'll need to add some more paint to wear points, then apply the chrome trim tape.

DSCN4506.jpg

Pulling the tape and newspaper masking off a newly painted project is kinda like opening a gift on Christmas morning.....excitement builds as the covering comes off revealing what is underneath.

Unless the paint comes off with the tape. LOL

It's looking great!

Max,I'm glad you didn't change the cant of the Recruit mounts it looks outstanding! If you are using those metal storm motors for the recruits that will be spectacular! What will be the core motor for the first flight?
Remember this is our hobby and you could always rebuild that same rocket again..just how you like it...or UPSCALE IT!:wink:

John

Max,I'm glad you didn't change the cant of the Recruit mounts it looks outstanding! If you are using those metal storm motors for the recruits that will be spectacular! What will be the core motor for the first flight?John

I have an I 366 redline and some others in the box....I'll probably want to go conservative on the first flight....enough ummph to trigger a Gswitch for the airstarts, but still slow enough to enjoy and low enough to observe...

Looks great from here!

Thanks...and thanks for the comments everyone.
This was an enjoyable project for getting back in the hobby. It went together in fairly short order w/o any major hassles or difficulties. If I can keep from banging the nose cone tip on the dooray while moving it around it will be in good shape for a January launch...weather permitting.

Next steps will be loading motors to look at the CG and adding enough nose weight to offset the weight located aft.
Recovery harnesses, test fit parachute etc.

Last edited:
and let all of TRF play "Let's Overload Your Rocket" game...:wink:

EDIT: That was a joke, but Seriously I learn a lot about the new motors from those discussions....both Gary and CTI.

John

Last edited:
Brilliant sir.....just beautiful !

I finally got to log in to TRF after much BS (warnings and such about malware etc) and decide to have a looksee over here and VOILA......I see some major progress in the paint department.

IT IS indeed looking very fine.

Sincerely

Paul T

Brilliant sir.....just beautiful !

I finally got to log in to TRF after much BS (warnings and such about malware etc) and decide to have a looksee over here and VOILA......I see some major progress in the paint department.

IT IS indeed looking very fine.

Sincerely

Paul T

I had two malware attacks this year...don't think they originated here at TRF.
These were the kind that opened a phoney virus scan window...looked very official...then told me I had 27 viruses, trojans, whatever, and to renew my anti virus protection account by logging in my credit card number.
I didn't fall for that one.

After doing research on another computer (I had no internet access on my computer as these malwares effectively blocked access) I tried various registry fixes ....no result.
After a week I was ready to take the computer in for a geek fix, but each time both malwares dissappeared. I guess if you don't fall for the scam they drop out...(I hope).

Nice looking rocket, great info and build detail, enjoyed following this.

Thanks!
Glad you enjoyed it. Hope to get some time to get it flightworthy very soon.
Wiring leads to outboards, CG check when fully loaded.......and find a place to get all the lead weight in that tiny nose cone!

Ah you`re back...very good !

Do you have any other photos of the finished rocket ? I sure would like to see that beauty !

Cheers

Paul T

Got a lot of outtakes.

Here's a couple of recent shots when I was test fitting motors for estimating the fully loaded CG.....
Don't have total weight yet, may be one of my heavier projects.

Aft End 2.jpgassembled 3.jpg

Last edited:
That`s what I wanted to see ,very nice work ,sure does look the part !!

What color did you use for the brown ,I`ve always wondered what to use for that ?

Cheers

Paul t

Back