Upscale Astrobee 1500

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've been looking at this fin can all evening and I think I'm just going to have to live with it.
The Recruit motors appear to be offset from the surface of the airframe too much...about a half an inch.
Not as flush to the airframe as the real thing.

The problem is the attachment method...

I used a 1/4 inch thick spruce in a strip on the exterior of the airframe on each side for each strap on Recruit motor.
There is also a 1/8" thick strip of spruce on each Recruit motor.
I didn't think anything less on the airframe (like an 1/8th of an inch thick spruce) would hold up to drilling holes for screws...thought it would split.
What I have is two thick spruce strips for a total thickness of 3/8 " holding the Recruit motors off of the airframe.
So what I get is almost a half inch gap between the airframe and strap on motor, which just looks like too much to my eye.

If I pulled out the screws and pulled off the 1/4 strip from the airframe (it is already epoxied on) I could go down to an 1/8 inch thick spruce but this only saves an 1/8th of an inch...still not much of a fix for the effort.
recruit fins 1.jpgrecruit finsA.jpg

Last edited:
Still thinking it over.
One side -face on - looks ok.
Other side where you see how far off the airframe the motors are...not so ok.

recruit mounted1.jpgAft end.jpgRecruits mounted on airframe.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you obsess about small details like I do. I think it looks fine, myself. When building a scale rocket, at some point you have to realize you can't make it perfect. I learned that on my Astrobee D scale build, and I'm more than happy with the results.

Sounds like you obsess about small details like I do. I think it looks fine, myself. When building a scale rocket, at some point you have to realize you can't make it perfect. I learned that on my Astrobee D scale build, and I'm more than happy with the results.

Yeah..I do obsess about little details...but here I may defer to strength in lieu of accuracy.
If I pull the 1/4" thick spruce strips, replace them with 1/8" strips, and shave down the U shaped clamps maybe I would reduce the gap by about a mere 1/4 "...not sure if is worth the effort...

Yeah..I do obsess about little details...but here I may defer to strength in lieu of accuracy.
If I pull the 1/4" thick spruce strips, replace them with 1/8" strips, and shave down the U shaped clamps maybe I would reduce the gap by about a mere 1/4 "...not sure if is worth the effort...

I'd leave it as is. It'll look a lot better once you get it painted.

I'd leave it as is. It'll look a lot better once you get it painted.

I agree....took another look at the mounting bracket, and the best I can do to improve the appearance takes only an 1/8 of an inch out of the gap on each side motor, and this reduces the grab area each motor has for mounting...by half. (1/8 vs. 1/4)

I'd rather trade accurate appearance for structural strength...

Last edited:
Need to move along...trying to get first coats of primer and paint on this before masking details.

I'm not a big fan of the new formula Krylon...compared to the old formula, I find the depth of color and pigment not as strong, and coverage isn't as nearly as good as the old formula....and if you apply the paint heavy to get the depth of color, it will run far too easily.
I'm going with it cause it is availble in the basic colors I need, and I can always wet sand and reapply another coat...but you have to wait 24hrs, unlike the old stuff.

astrobee white.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried the Rustoleum 2x primer and paints? It covers very well. I've had much better results with it than Krylon.

If your use to using Krylon spray paints, like I am, you'll find Rustoleum paints come out of the can just like water comes out of a fire hose.

First time I used Rustoleum, I said "Holy sheep sh... Batman!"

If your use to using Krylon spray paints, like I am, you'll find Rustoleum paints come out of the can just like water comes out of a fire hose.

First time I used Rustoleum, I said "Holy sheep sh... Batman!"

You get used to it pretty quick. At least I did.

And it looks just about as good. I hate that stuff, You could almost do as good of a job by taking a mouthful of paint and spitting it on. Sorry I have had a recent bad experience with the Suckoleum Ultra Crap 2x spawn of the devil that parades around as paint. I'm sure you can get good results from it of you practiced enough times with it. But who would want too. :puke:

TA

The Recruit motors appear to be offset from the surface of the airframe too much...about a half an inch.

Are the screws critical? I'm not the expert on rockets this size but it seems like if epoxy is enough to hold the recruit to the spruce rail that it would likewise be enough to hold the rail to the frame. You could also replace the screws with dowels? Then just plane down the body rail with a jack plane.

Just tossing out an idea ;)

Are the screws critical? I'm not the expert on rockets this size but it seems like if epoxy is enough to hold the recruit to the spruce rail that it would likewise be enough to hold the rail to the frame. You could also replace the screws with dowels? Then just plane down the body rail with a jack plane.

Just tossing out an idea ;)

Not a bad idea.
I'm going to paint he parts, then test fit the components, and see if I can live with it as is.
The screws were just extra insurance..but youre right...wood to epoxy to wood is one of the links in the chain.
I was going the reinforce that joint with a metal plate with smaller screws, but there isn't much room the get a screw driver in there..between the fins.

And it looks just about as good. I hate that stuff, You could almost do as good of a job by taking a mouthful of paint and spitting it on. Sorry I have had a recent bad experience with the Suckoleum Ultra Crap 2x spawn of the devil that parades around as paint. I'm sure you can get good results from it of you practiced enough times with it. But who would want too. :puke:

TA

Wow, I've never had that bad an experience with 2x paint. In fact, it's consistently given me the best results. I have had problems with Rustoleum gray primer, but I don't believe it was 2x. The other myriad of paint problems I've had were due to my own mistakes, or bugs. I've found for me, at least, 2x covers the best out of any paint I've tried. Krylon is okay, but it goes on thin and translucent. It takes more coats to get good coverage. What exactly was the problem you had with it?

It shot spatters of globs of paint all over. Both the red and black I had did it. I guess I could have just had two bad cans the primer seemed to flow ok. Other than it kinda is like painting with a fire hose. I'm just bitter because I had to sand and paint again, and I'm sure it was the dope behind the can.

TA

It shot spatters of globs of paint all over. Both the red and black I had did it. I guess I could have just had two bad cans the primer seemed to flow ok. Other than it kinda is like painting with a fire hose. I'm just bitter because I had to sand and paint again, and I'm sure it was the dope behind the can.

TA

What was he weather like? How cold or hot were the cans?

TA

Nope, not the guy, but the paint. This has been in my experience a common problem with Rustoleum rattle can paint, especially the gloss paints. Even with warming the can before use, this chunky phenomenon can happen. I try to use fresh cans whenever possible, and I always try to remember to run the spray for a few seconds to (hopefully) clear the internal stem before applying paint to the model.

I like the Rustoleum line and I like the durability, consistency, and sheen of the paints. Its curing properties are very consistent, and if one follows the recoat instructions on the can usually the results are there. But there seems no defense for the random blown chunks other than to try and take some precautions beforehand.

John

Problem is you cant clear the nozzle by turning it upside down and spraying out the crap. Ok sorry I dont want to hijack this thread. No more paint talk. :)

TA

I have had some minor problems with 2X when the can was almost empty. I also had a situation one time when it was warm outside and I was painting in the sun. I think the paint was thickening in the heat.

Weather has not cooperated lately...turned very cold then had a day of rain - then high numidity.
Hope to get back on this again...

Had some half way decent weather so I laid down some final base coats of new formula Krylon gloss white and black...

I had an issue getting the depth of color I wanted w/o getting a few runs...this is not the old Krylon "no drips/no runs/no errors" paint we used to have.

But I think this will get me a good base for masking details like roll patterns etc.

A total assembly.jpgB motors 1.jpg

Last edited:
I masked the motor retainers while painting to keep them clean.
Pulled the masking and test fit the Aero Pack retainers....they still fit ok ....business end is looking pretty good.
The fin but ends need more white paint.
Guess I'll give this a day or two to cure and get ready to mask off the roll patterns and trim.

aft end.jpgC motors 3.jpg

Last edited:
It`s amazing how much a rocket looks like a rocket as soon as you add a little paint to it.

Things are really starting to shape up ,and shape up very nicely.That`s going to be a great looking bird once she`s done ,I`m sure am liking it ,and the recruit motors turned out great.

So it`s almost time to break out the masking tape and begin roll patterns ?

Paul T

It`s amazing how much a rocket looks like a rocket as soon as you add a little paint to it.

Things are really starting to shape up ,and shape up very nicely.That`s going to be a great looking bird once she`s done ,I`m sure am liking it ,and the recruit motors turned out great.

So it`s almost time to break out the masking tape and begin roll patterns ?

Paul T

Yes indeed..that's the part I like...most enjoyable.

I keep dinging up the balsa nose cones moving this thing around - even though I gave them a coat of finishing epoxy before primer.

So, I do have some fill n' touch up...but I'm doing roll patterns in a day or two.

Last edited:
Ya know, I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how in the world I missed this build---outstanding!!!!

Pulling the tape and newspaper masking off a newly painted project is kinda like opening a gift on Christmas morning.....excitement builds as the covering comes off revealing what is underneath.

Unmasked Paint1.jpgPaint 7.jpg

Last edited:
Back