Tripoli Vegas Oktoberfest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All systems have been checked (worked out getting job/home duties & responsibilities covered) and I am go for launch - I will be attending TRA Vegas Oktoberfest!

Since I really haven't been building/flying much at all this season, I'll pretty much be bringing the same rockets/motors that I did to Springfest - basically everything that I did not get to fly that time (due to time constraints, wind, lower waivers, and a couple of .......ummmmm........"mishaps"). I did manage to resurrect/rebuild my Punisher since then, so that will fly again (with better results this time hopefully). If all goes well, I'll be launching a couple Loki and Gorilla K's and L's, perhaps a couple 29/38mm minimum diameter rockets, and a two-stager (38mm to 29mm).

What's the waiver situation this time around? How high do we get to fly?

I'm excited to get back out on the playa and spend some time with y'all putting rockets in the air. Looking forward to seeing the beta Missileworks GPS, the saucer race, Joe's Saturn V, etc.

Dave, I'll bring a shovel and gloves (& first aid kit), you bring a bunch of plastic sheeting and duct tape.
If anyone brings a Chinese lantern, it will be dealt with in an appropriate fashion.

see you folks on the lakebed,
s6

All systems have been checked (worked out getting job/home duties & responsibilities covered) and I am go for launch - I will be attending TRA Vegas Oktoberfest!

Since I really haven't been building/flying much at all this season, I'll pretty much be bringing the same rockets/motors that I did to Springfest - basically everything that I did not get to fly that time (due to time constraints, wind, lower waivers, and a couple of .......ummmmm........"mishaps"). I did manage to resurrect/rebuild my Punisher since then, so that will fly again (with better results this time hopefully). If all goes well, I'll be launching a couple Loki and Gorilla K's and L's, perhaps a couple 29/38mm minimum diameter rockets, and a two-stager (38mm to 29mm).

What's the waiver situation this time around? How high do we get to fly?

I'm excited to get back out on the playa and spend some time with y'all putting rockets in the air. Looking forward to seeing the beta Missileworks GPS, the saucer race, Joe's Saturn V, etc.

Dave, I'll bring a shovel and gloves (& first aid kit), you bring a bunch of plastic sheeting and duct tape.
If anyone brings a Chinese lantern, it will be dealt with in an appropriate fashion.

see you folks on the lakebed,
s6

Waiver situation is at this time, call in widows to 17'000 feet MSL with normal 12,800 feet till dark each day. But, you never know for sure till you call TRACON at the start of launch each day.

If anyone brings a Chinese lantern? We know that several of our members ARE bring lantern to launch. I myself have 20 to go up in member what the BLM did to us.
See you there
Jim

Saucer Drag Race Up date
We would like to have the drag race between 4pm and 4:30 Sat. We normally shut down at 4 to let everyone get ready for the Potluck. This way we will be done by 4:30 so we can all be at the potluck at 5pm

8 rail pads for the drags, Right now, Curt has 3, me 1, Mark 1, Kenny maybe 2, that 7 and if we don't get the #8 we can move 1 of Tripoli's. Mine is higher than most pads because it's for the Big Pumpkin I am going to launch, so, I am sure, I will get disqualified if I should happen to win.

Only 6 days to launch
Jim

We went to ROC to pick up some motors today.

Here is a pic of Frywrxz Dave with his Saucer

Kenny

1444543507483.jpg

We went to ROC to pick up some motors today.

Here is a pic of Frywrxz Dave with his Saucer

Kenny
The wind that destroyed Wefly's popup at Roctober died in the afternoon. Could I wait to fly? Nooooo! Result? 50 ft altitude and 950 ft of horizontal travel. Yep! 7.2 seconds of Saucer Terror! Coming soon to a launch pad in Vegas.

Yes..we need to help replace WeFly2's flying popup - it didn't quite get the altitude your saucer did .

Kenny

Best Jean Dry Lake Bed weather forecast is Windfinder at this link. BTW, T-storms predicted with 43% likelihood Friday with a high of 77F & 6 mph winds. Saturday looks beautiful, mild winds and 77F again. Sunday early afternoon when we shut down look like 15-17 mph winds, but the morning looks great.

All in all, typical, beautiful October Las Vegas rocket flying weather.

Best Jean Dry Lake Bed weather forecast is Windfinder at this link. BTW, T-storms predicted with 43% likelihood Friday with a high of 77F & 6 mph winds. Saturday looks beautiful, mild winds and 77F again. Sunday early afternoon when we shut down look like 15-17 mph winds, but the morning looks great.

All in all, typical, beautiful October Las Vegas rocket flying weather.

I'll take that forecast over the one available at WeatherUnderground (www.wunderground.com). That one shows a higher chance of thunderstorms - on all three days! Yikes.

That said, the weather is going to be what it's going to be - ain't no controlling it. I plan to go regardless, and just keep my fingers crossed that the weather will hold. Either way, I'll make the best of it and I'm sure will have a great time. Heck, maybe I'll fly in the rain if need be - could be fun!

Wanna bet that no matter what the forecast says, we get some killer flying weather anyways?

see you all there,
s6

Trailer loaded - we're rolling out tomorrow. I've got six rockets, Jon Skuba has about eight and Ed Dawson is bringing our Saturn V for another epic flight, and hopefully some other birds to play with.

I handed off an alpha RTx hardware pair to Jon Skuba yesterday too... (firmware is beta ready).
Make sure to visit Moto-Joe and take a peek!

"peek"? peek nothing, I think I'm going to try and steal it!

Ok, OK, I'll wait until they're available on the market and I'll buy one.
Just please make it soon.

(and yes, I fully plan to visit Joe and have a look-see, been excited to do so),
s6

I am hoping to get a Cesaroni I-215 Classic (636 Ns) for my cert launch. Will you have a case and grains available... should I pay now or at the launch? Have a good drive - see you there - Greg Pishko.

Madcow Twitch - 38mm

[email protected]
602-214-1679
Greg Pishko

WeFly2 sends his regards..he cant roll for this launch as planned.

So we need one less CTI I55_MY for the Saucer race...and then there were 6

Kenny

Trailer loaded - we're rolling out tomorrow. I've got six rockets, Jon Skuba has about eight and Ed Dawson is bringing our Saturn V for another epic flight, and hopefully some other birds to play with.

I am hoping to get a Cesaroni I-215 Classic (636 Ns) for my cert launch. Will you have a case and grains available... should I pay now or at the launch? Have a good drive - see you there - Greg Pishko.

Madcow Twitch - 38mm

[email protected]
602-214-1679
Greg Pishko

WeFly2 sends his regards..he cant roll for this launch as planned.

So we need one less CTI I55_MY for the Saucer race...and then there were 6

Kenny
K- grab it for me-my inventory is getting low. I need three in stock for a cluster bird. (not this year)

gpishko, I've got a CTI 38mm 6g and a spacer if you need it. Also have the 4g and 2g as well in 38mm.

Leaving for the lakebed now!

gpishko, I've got a CTI 38mm 6g and a spacer if you need it. Also have the 4g and 2g as well in 38mm.

Leaving for the lakebed now!
Viper- any reports on the lakebed condition? Boots on the ground are best-weather report looks nasty! We're still rolling anyway.

The man, the myth.. ViperFixr !

Hands on and deep into his Hobbyline E16W motor build .

Kenny

1445092127933.jpg

Last edited:
Had the best darned time this weekend, seeing friends, making new ones, flying rockets with great weather despite weather predictions otherwise...just the best dang launch! Had the honor of having KenRico and fyrwrxz parked next to me and watching a great new friend, John Glasswick from Alberta, make his TRA L3 with a LOC Magnum. These are the times that keep me coming back over and over, and I somehow never seem to get enough of it.

I am already planning my build pile for Springfest anmd LDRS on the near horizon. Madcow 5.5" V-2, then a Wildman 3" rocket, then a Wildman Jart 4", and then maybe a Wildman Wildman Jr. Two Stager...

Yep, 'twas a great launch - "and a good time was had by all."
I've only got a few moments to check in this morning, so no dirty details just yet - I'll come back later today with a more full report. Suffice it to say that it was good people, fine conditions (mostly), and lots of great flights.

s6

We got back safe and sound to San Diego late yesterday afternoon.

ViperFixr was a great host, lco, and got off some amazing flights .

Also wanted to make a shout out to Larry who broke out his private reserve of proStyle igniters when we were launching the Red Alert saturday night.

Also Jim Waters made a special trip out to pick up the club trailer Sunday although he concluded his flying Saturday. .Thanks Jim !

I think all the Funk Saucers and Fudds Applewhite got their biggest motors ever , using the I55 in the Saucer drag race of death (no saucers or spectators were harmed). Just 6 flyers matching off , armed with a wokroc and 7.2 seconds of terror motors . FryWrxz , ViperFixer, Jim Waters, Stickershock, Fuddrucker and me.

Kenny

Last edited:
A few more details:

First off - the weather. The forecasts were looking pretty dire quite honestly. But many of us chose to go for it, make the trip, and hope for the best anyway. And while there was definitely some threatening skies and we did get a good healthy downpour on Friday (with the lakebed turning to slippery sticky muck), in the end there was PLENTY of great flying weather. After the rain, the muck dried up very fast. And all through the weekend, there were lots of times when we had clear "holes in the sky", and the winds were pretty light with a good bit of dead calm as well. The clouds were moving fast, and while they were sometimes pretty low, there were also lots of clear spots. Temps were excellent. All in all, it was fine flying weather.

Wasn't a huge crowd, but definitely enough people to make it fun and interesting. As with most club launches, it was a great bunch of folk to hang out with. Never any waiting for an open rail, but also enough flights happening that there weren't any long, boring periods with nothing launching. Lots of great rockets of all types. Quite a few cert flights, most successful as far as I saw. It seemed to me that there were a high number of long-burn type motors flown, which is my favorite so that worked for me! There also seemed to be a fair amount of CATOs which, while not a "good thing" and I hate to see anyone lose their rockets/hardware/etc., let's face it is exciting to witness. A number of "civilians" came out to check out what was going on, and were impressed with their first exposure to hobby high-power rocketry. And speaking of exposure, as an extra bonus (this being Las Vegas after all), on Saturday between flights folks got to check out an "interesting" photo shoot happening farther out on the lakebed (lots of binoculars and even a spotting scope got put to good use).

Lots of great folk, from TRF and otherwise, in attendance. The Colorado contingent came out in force with great rockets, a fun attitude, and a great selection of reloads to purchase from MotoJoe. From the other direction, the California coast was represented by some fine flyers that I enjoy seeing. Utah was represented well (it was great to see both Mark and Marian (stickershock) on the mend and in attendance). And of course, the home team from Nevada are always some of the best folk to host a laid-back and fun launch. Great sharing the lakebed with y'all!

The Funk Saucer drag race was way cool - I55s being a great choice of motor for this. Got to see the beta Missileworks GPS in action, and yep it's pretty dang sweet - a few more minor tweaks and I think this is going to be a great tracking choice for lots you. The big Saturn launch did not go but it was close! I assisted as a pad slave, and the rocket did make it to vertical on the rail, but after a couple of issues Joe and Ed made the right decision and aborted the launch. Disappointing, yes, but MAN that is a cool rocket.

So, my own flight report:

I resurrected my Punisher (Hanzalova Ugly), and flew it twice. Once on a CTI I-65 CStar, and once on an AT I-327 Dark Matter. Both fine flights to 3000-4000'. And I didn't put anyone in mortal danger, nor did I have to do a shovel recovery this time!

Flew my Formula98 (Fioravante) on a Gorilla K-222 WhiteCloud to about 4000'. This was my only not-so-great flight. The flight up was fine, but my mains failed to deploy and it came down kinda hard. No damage to the rocket itself, but the impact broke my Landru/Missileworks 3D printed sleds. Bummer, but not a huge deal (or expense) to fix/replace at least.

My 3" DarkStar (blame it on the BlackStar) had a great flight to 7000' on a Loki K-250 White longburn. I use a reflective streamer for a drogue on this, which worked perfectly on a scattered cloudy day - the sparkles showed through most of the thin bits of cloud and even if you lost sight of the descent as it passed behind thicker clouds, it was easy to regain visual lock due to the flashes.

Had an excellent flight of my scratch-built two-stager (Raspulescent). Loki H-144 white to a CTI G-125 red. As always, two-stagers can be pretty complicated in terms of wiring & programming avionics, rigging recovery, etc. so it's often a nervous launch. But this flight went perfectly, and everything went exactly to plan. The only anomaly was my max altitude reading which seemed off - about 3500' as opposed to the simmed 6000' (which seemed about what it actually flew to). I've had issues with the reporting being off before, and will have to look into fixing this glitch.

Lastly, I had my maiden flight of a 3" Intimidator (Divertimento #4). Which turned out to be a perfect flight to 9300' on a Loki K527 red.

After which I had to pack up quickly and hit the road. Had a bit of a hell trip home, due to construction in Virgin River Gorge (which cost me about an hour and a half), and that weather finally caught up with me as SEVERE rain and hail slowed and stopped traffic for a few hours more. Ah well, still made it home intact with a smile on my face after such a fun few days of flying.

I took zero pictures but I know some others (Dave Pacheco, Fudd, ???) were shooting and will hopefully post some good ones.

Thanks again for all of the rest of you who showed up and made it a great launch, and to the fine folks at TRA Vegas for hosting,
s6

Almost forget, if anyone got a picture of my MadDog 6 flight on the M1939, I sure would appreciate a copy. I forgot my camera and our usual photogs were not there. Thanks!

I'll just "ditto" everything Steath6 had to say and add thanks to Roy for bringing out an amazing pad and rail. Problems with our altimeters prevented the Saturn from lift off, and the little bit of wind and weather forecasts basically kept us from coming back out to the lake bed Sunday morning. Beat the traffic in the Virgin River Canyon by going around a scenic way - thanks Marion for the intel on that - but we still hit heavy showers and slower traffic in some areas on the way home. Long drive but absolutely, definitely, worth it. Planning on a return visit for Springfest with either the Saturn or something else big and exciting. Moto-Joe Inc has a web place holder and eventually we'll be more live than static but if there are CTI motors wanted/needed, please let us know. Since Bill Saidon from Balsa Machining Services handles Aerotech exclusively, we leave those at home. It's a small market - we've got to share the love.

Back