Tripoli and BALLS 31: Great job!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Dawg

Always learning!!!
Reaction score
Wanted to give a big shout-out to Tripoli for such an excellent BALLS 31 launch this weekend.

These folks go through a lot of effort to make this happen. Debra Koloms as always ensured we had a safe and lively launch out there on the Black Rock Desert.

Hats off to Miss Debra, Bob Brown and to the other outstanding Tripoli leaders who work so hard setting up and then tearing down the flight line and so many distant launch pads.

The event was well-run and well-attended. Lots of great flights and some of the most impressive displays of rocket shreds any of us have ever seen.

BALLS 31 was a blast and it looks like everyone had a really good time.

Thanks Tripoli for all your hard work.

Chuck Cummins

Last edited:
well run, very well attended (400 folks?), perfect weather, so many flights that just worked which speaks to the top level skills of so many rocketeers... and a few really excellent wipeouts.. no pain, no gain!

Also a shout-out to Aerotech and Cesaroni for one of the most CATO-free launches we have ever seen.

Some of the research motors had issues but overall the commercial motors were highly reliable.

Aerotech was on site and there were many comments on just how well the Aerotech motors performed.

Gary Rosenfield and his team at Aerotech are doing an outstanding job providing reliable motors.

Cesaroni’s motors also rocked!

Thanks.

Chuck Cummins

Someone will have a better idea of the number of P flights.

Believe there was just the one?

Although there was a ton of great N and O flights there wasn’t the real big Class 3 flights as in most years past.

What do you suppose are the reasons for there not being many Class 3 projects this year?

Awesome job by Tripoli Gerlach and all the Tripoli volunteers.

It‘s a lot of work to support this kind of event in one of most remote areas of the US.

Chuck

Cell phone pix are useless here. Pads too far for handheld shaky-cam launch pix and video.

Just for fun. To give a sense of the scale of the event. From the east end, morning Saturday, looking west. Zoom in, look carefully, that white canopy EZ up forward of the line is the LCO, in the center of the line.

What you can't see is the equivalent length of the west end, the 3 or 4 rows of camps behind the line. The pads are off camera to the right.

So yeah, big event.

Attachments

• IMG_20230923_103517285.jpg
    IMG_20230923_103517285.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Someone will have a better idea of the number of P flights.

Believe there was just the one?

Although there was a ton of great N and O flights there wasn’t the real big Class 3 flights as in most years past.

What do you suppose are the reasons for there not being many Class 3 projects this year?

Awesome job by Tripoli Gerlach and all the Tripoli volunteers.

It‘s a lot of work to support this kind of event in one of most remote areas of the US.

Chuck
I thought Alex launched his R-10,000 hybrid to something like 140,000' ? That's a class 3.

Rick

Appreciate others giving good details on some of these quite impressive flights.

If there are other reports please chime in with the info.

High power rocketry has certainly come a long way from even 20 years ago.

The rockets are much faster and they can certainly take a beating.

We saw some outstanding demonstrations of rockets that couldn’t quite push through Max Q. The speeds were amazing.

Chuck

Appreciate others giving good details on some of these quite impressive flights.

If there are other reports please chime in with the info.

High power rocketry has certainly come a long way from even 20 years ago.

The rockets are much faster and they can certainly take a beating.

We saw some outstanding demonstrations of rockets that couldn’t quite push through Max Q. The speeds were amazing.

Chuck

Also - 20 years ago, about the only way to get reports and information was via Rec.model.rockets -type mailing lists, Rocketry OnLine, and HPR Mag.

If anyone is interested for future use, T-mobile gave me 2 bars of 5G out there. A very solid connection.

I loved the event, they did a great job! Some criticism, I hope it's taken constructively:
- need more LCO help. They did a great job but spent a lot of their time paper shuffling, checking with other people, answering questions, and doing things other than launching rockets. The launch cadence could have been doubled with help to offload some of this.
- Instead of constant reminders, they need to enforce the rules about no fireworks, alcohol when TFR is in place, and dogs off leash. People should know better from reading the terms upon buying memberships. Kick out a few pinheads and I think word will get around that these are serious rules.

If anyone is interested for future use, T-mobile gave me 2 bars of 5G out there. A very solid connection.

I loved the event, they did a great job! Some criticism, I hope it's taken constructively:
- need more LCO help. They did a great job but spent a lot of their time paper shuffling, checking with other people, answering questions, and doing things other than launching rockets. The launch cadence could have been doubled with help to offload some of this.
- Instead of constant reminders, they need to enforce the rules about no fireworks, alcohol when TFR is in place, and dogs off leash. People should know better from reading the terms upon buying memberships. Kick out a few pinheads and I think word will get around that these are serious rules.
Alright!
A volunteer for range duty next year

- need more LCO help. They did a great job but spent a lot of their time paper shuffling, checking with other people, answering questions, and doing things other than launching rockets.
I did a couple of hours of pad management on Friday and I'm going to blame a good part of the cadence problems on some fliers taking a long time to prep and/or walking in and out to the pads at a very leisurely pace. I'm not sure more staff would fix those problems.

I know you need special permission to fly liquids, but the restriction on alcohol was un-expected news. Especially for Nevada.
Can someone point me to where that's in the rules? I don't see it on the Balls "rules" page.

Am thinking of driving around the launch area looking for lost rockets before the winter rains come.

Will post any findings on here.

Even with the impressive array of rocket tracking equipment at this BALLS launch there were still many parts of rockets lost many, many miles from the launch site.

As lots know it’s a huge flat playa but it’s still quite easy to lose a rocket.

Chuck

Am thinking of driving around the launch area looking for lost rockets before the winter rains come.

Even with the impressive array of rocket tracking equipment at this BALLS launch there were still many parts of rockets lost many, many miles from the launch site.

Chuck
I lost my sustainer on Sunday. I would be extremely happy if you found it. I estimate that it landed near 40°52'55.80"N 119° 0'19.67"W. I posted more info on my TRF thread and on facebook ().

Last edited:

Chuck
I lost a 4" Madcow Tomach, if you happen to see it when you are out there.
Kevin

I know you need special permission to fly liquids, but the restriction on alcohol was un-expected news. Especially for Nevada.
Can someone point me to where that's in the rules? I don't see it on the Balls "rules" page.
From the TRA Revised Safety Code:

7-12 The use of alcohol or any substance that could affect judgment or response to hazardous situations is prohibited for all persons in attendance at a Tripoli Launch operation.

Back