Oh the possibilities…

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theory

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Y’all ever fall victim to the impulse buy? Well this guy did this past weekend. As out launch was wrapping up I was chatting with Ken from Performance Hobbies and as I was he unboxed something that, well, I wasn’t leaving without.

Now to be clear, I wasn’t in the market for anything, but have known Ken for a LONG time and he knows my style.

That said I am now the owner of a 7-1 filament wound fiberglass nose cone.

IMG_9192.jpeg

This is sold as a 7-1 but at a tick over 31” it’s really 7.5-1, and DAMN NICE!!!

To go with this he also had a killer 54mm 3 grain case

IMG_9189.jpeg

IMG_9190.jpeg

IMG_9188.jpeg

Not 100% sure what these will turn into, but I am thinking something sleek and ultra light weight. Lots of carbon, aluminum all thread in the AV bay… Time will tell, but some hard hitting propellant of 1100NS or so in that case combined with a full up weight of 6 pounds or so would be a great flight at BattlePark!

@Handeman

Probably about 7.5’ tall. Using a 60” airframe. 54mm motor mount. Keep it really light, 6 pounds or less fully loaded W/O the motor. Looking to use lots of carbon. Little to no paint, likely only clear.

No Limits was built with a 76mm for full send M flights to 19K. This will be a little more “tame.”

My first scratch built high power rocket was called “Theory.” Got my first L1 on that in 1998. That turned into a series with Theory II being my eventual L2 rocket in 2000 and Theory III being a 5.5 inch cluster design.

Working name for this one is Theory 454. An homage to the 4th “Theory” rocket, and as I am a Chevy guy at heart who loves the LS6 Chevelle, well, you know. Also it will have a 4” airframe and 54mm motor mount. It all works out.

no rush on this build. Funds at the moment are going to EX supplies

"More showed it to me and then I bought it."

Yep...that's how they do it. Sometimes not even that. A while ago there was a CTI K454 at the bottom of a box in the back of my club vendor's van. I don't fly sparkies, never have. Least of all a 54mm 4 grain. But he allowed me to root around in the crate and I found it. The vendor actually said to me 'You don't have to buy it'. But we both knew what he really meant. Now I want another. Frankly it's outrageous.

Back