First Attempt at a 38mm Minimum Diameter Launch!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright so recovery... This is going to be pretty long winded but I hope you will bear with me. When I originally bought this kit in 2018, I ordered a lot of parts before really knowing what space I was gonna be working with but it was the black friday sale and I figured "I'll make it work". I was a little bit experienced in rocketry at this point but I was young and immature. I thought I was hot sh*t. I was apart of the liquid rocket lab at cal poly pomona, I had just gotten my L1, I mixed my first of two O-class motors for the FAR1030 competition which was designed by my partner and I. I was a core member of every rocket based club on campus. Oh how that has bit me in the a** 4 years later lol!

First mistake: Bought an eggtimer proton for a 38mm MD kit. Eggtimers are great and Chris makes amazing products! I bought the proton because black friday, it has the most features, and "ill make it fit".
Second mistake: Bought an eggtimer TRS. Black Friday, has the most features plus I could use redundancy for charges, and "Ill make it fit". (You can see where this is going now, right?)
Third mistake: Bought a Rocketman streamer for the drogue, didn't pay attention to the packed length being 7 inches long lol. J570 with aeropack retainer with the ebay coupler left me about 6 inches of total space.
Fourth mistake: Bought two 1/4 inch kevlar harness from onebadhawk (amazing product! doesnt fit...)

So essentially every single piece of recovery equipment I purchased ended up not fitting or being so tight that I worried about deployment issues. This was a very expensive mistake to make. This project was supposed to be relatively cheap and if I knew what I would have needed it would have been. Knowledge and experience is often obtained through headaches and pain.

Im sure that you could make the proton work with some real optimizing and either printing or lasercutting a custom sled but I did not have the time or the ability to do that. I needed to get the L1 students projects done before the semester ended, pass my classes, study for the L2 exam. I wanted to purchase whatever I could off the shelf and make what I had work through simple modifications. This was just not feasible in the end though. I picked up a sled from additive aerospace and planned on ziptie-ing the proton to it because the drill holes didn't match up. Even small zipties made this not fit. So then I decided to use electrical tape. This fit but the proton was too tall.
1671352716044.png1671352752965.png

I tried to bend the two silver pieces on the back which worked and didn't alter any function for the time being. Until my second pop test where the right side channels were not showing continuity all of a sudden. Im not sure if the cause was because of these pieces being slightly angled backwards or if its shotty solder work. Chris probably would know but either way this specific altimeter is not the right tool for this job. I plan on fixing the proton and using it as one of the altimeters on my L3 because it really is fantastic. The wifi arming is really nice and the web interface is stellar.

I dont need to explain why the TRS didnt fit in my nosecone right lol? I ended up borrowing my buddies eggfinder so all was well for the time being.
1671353183512.png

Regarding parachutes and shock cord I ended up contacting Rocketman and both Buddy and Ky were super helpful. They pointed me towards their 15 ft 1200 lb braided kevlar chord and oh man is this nice. It also has an important feature regarding the loop which makes overhand knots really easy on the middle loop. I purchased two of these. They then suggested that I get a 12 inch ultra light parabolic chute for my drogue and the 2 ft ultra light high performance cd 2.2 for the main. I got two small swivels with these and wham bam thank you mam, they fit in my airframe.
1671353578064.png1671353611460.png1671353639304.png

I ended up using no quick links and just trying overhand knotts through the eyebolts and the swivel and the parachute. Rocketmans chord makes this extremely easy. This saved a lot of space and was necessary after the failed pop test from the beginning of this thread where a quicklink got completely jammed in the body tube (had to remove motor case and retainer and pull it out the back) which prevented the parachute from pulling out.

1671353669782.png

Note: I would totally do a drogue-less recovery if this wasn't for a cert flight.

Recovery part two:
So I needed a new altimeter and eggtimer wasn't in the equation this time due to my lack of time with school and the L1 course. So I started looking around. My first choice was a Raven since I had experience on it. Its what we used for the Liquid Rocket Lab Half Scale patriot LV. We used this to test our recovery which was going to be used for the Liquid launch. I loved that rocket, and I will be using a wildman 5 inch patriot for my L3. So as you all know the blue raven is still in testing and the raven 4 is sold out so I scratched that off the list. I needed it now if I wanted to make the December 10th Lucerne launch (at this point it was about November 14th). I then moved down the list to stratologger (LOL) which we used as the backup altimeter on the patriot. Obviously not in stock, I now know that perfect flight single handedly carries the TARC competition teams and he is a one man band so I completely understand why he cant have everything stocked. My friend was going to loan me his stratologger cf but I could tell in his voice he would much rather me not use it because it "might as well be the last one on earth for our possession". I agreed so I moved into new territory. I had heard good things about missileworks so I checked there decided to pick up an RRC3, USB cable, and the additive aero missile works sled plus a couple screw switches. Oh man that is a nice blue. I ordered it on the 15th of November.
1671355077374.png1671355101279.png
Sadly tragedy struck. They got really backed up and weren't able to ship it out until weeks later. I think it arrived on the 29th or the 1st. Either way this kind of put the nail in the coffin for the December launch. I don't blame them at all, the rocketry vendors do selfless work and they try their best to make things happen. It's just unfortunate circumstances. I had most of my finals (I hate it when professors decide to push your finals a week early) and projects due the week before the launch so it was not going to be feasible. I tried up until the very night before but at some point I realized that I had to be mature and focus on the L1 students who trusted me to lead them. So I scrubbed and that leads us to now.

So, now that I've offered my thoughts/advice in this thread, I have to say what you're doing is the best kind of thread here: wait until tons of progress & learning has been done, then share. (Which is a perfect way to shut everyone & their crummy opinions up. ;) )

Thanks for writing all this up! It's great to see your work.

I Jb-quick welded a screw switch into my e-bay and test fitted everything and it all looks to be fitting and working well. I need to do a pop test now and when that happens I will upload the video here. Also my grandpa came in with early a Christmas present and picked me up a K627 and a featherweight GPS system so now I don't need to use my friends eggfinder. I had the case shipped here but the prop is going to his place in Nevada. The graphite nozzle is so nice.
1671356014391.png1671356142951.png1671356195822.png1671356164956.png

I plan on sanding and then 2k clear coating the rocket. I do like paint but I also enjoy the super shiny clear coated composite look you get on raw composites. This is my plan for it so if anyone notices anything wrong and wants to stop me let me know please!
1. Sand 240 grit (Lightly and always use a sanding block/pad - applies to all sanding steps)
2. Sand 400
3. clean and degrease
4. apply 2k clear coat following instructions
5. Sand 2000
6. Sand 2500
7. 3m Cutting compound + cutting pad
8. Buff
9. Wax on wax off

Also another important question: My J570 is still in the bag but I have noticed that the black powder container that comes with the propellant busted open and leaked BP throughout. How big of a problem is this? This is the first time its happened to me and im wondering if I can just clean out all the blackpowder by blowing and shaking it out or has this compromised the propellant to the point where I should attempt to exchange it? I really don't want to CATO after all this.

That's it for tonight. I appreciate all the feedback and positivity I have received in this thread.

So, now that I've offered my thoughts/advice in this thread, I have to say what you're doing is the best kind of thread here: wait until tons of progress & learning has been done, then share. (Which is a perfect way to shut everyone & their crummy opinions up. ;) )

Thanks for writing all this up! It's great to see your work.
I appreciate it! Thank you for contributing to this and ill be sure to post here more frequently now that school is over!

That looks like a great build. I've built a number of 38mm and 54mm birds almost exactly the same, and as you guessed, tip-to-tip is not necessary for going past Mach 2, at least with smaller rockets. For fillets, a properly sized marble or ball bearing glued to a stick works pretty much exactly the same as your tool but is much easier to clean, and possibly cheaper. (Hot glue works very well to attach the ball to a stick.) I've also transitioned to using 3D printed fin alignment jigs – they are much stronger and I've gotten more accurate alignment than using jigs cut from flat stock.

Maybe it's just the lighting, but it looks like your fillets may have been a bit epoxy 'starved', but you should be able to easily fill that in for a nice smooth radius. One thing I've learned is to try and stick to the same material for filler as you did for the fillets - basically just use more epoxy. I found that if I used a different filler it would 'pop off' under aerodynamic heating, leaving pits where it used to be.

I'm a big fan of the K627, having flown at least one at Balls for the last several years. They aren't cheap but there is nothing else like it really. I just wish they were easier to get. Keep up the good work on your build.

Tony
I definitely want to build up the fillets a little bit more and I have to agree with you. I will be just using plain hysol without additives since that is what I used to start. In the future though I want to try milled fiberglass, the colloidal silica, or both. If you contact Scott from Loki he might have a 627 for you!

SharkBite PEX tubing is my favorite for shaping fillets. Lots of tape in all the right places, too. I buy it in 5' lengths in various diameters from Home Depot then cut 2-3" lengths. I do one set of fillets, wiping the PEX tubing with each swipe, then throw away that PEX chunk after 1 set of fillets. You can hold them at different angles to change the fillet radius, which helps especially at the trailing edge. Almost zero cleanup!

I was going to say the same. It takes some iterating to get the exact size for your printer & rocket combo, but once you get them dialed in 3d printed fin guides are perfecto. That said, I think many people size & orient them incorrectly.

Anyway... awesome looking build! MD 38mm rockets are my fav!
I will need to look into that tubing! I don't think ive seen it before. For the L1 course I taught we picked up some 3d printed guides from Mach 1 and oh man those were game changing. Definitely going the 3d printed guides in the future.

Looks like a pretty cool build! Minimum diameter speed demons are pretty cool flights to watch. I noticed you mentioned flying at Lucerne. Where do you plan to fly the K627? I'm assuming FAR? I believe Loki motors are not allowed at Lucerne due to CSFM restrictions.

Looks like a pretty cool build! Minimum diameter speed demons are pretty cool flights to watch. I noticed you mentioned flying at Lucerne. Where do you plan to fly the K627? I'm assuming FAR? I believe Loki motors are not allowed at Lucerne due to CSFM restrictions.
I will be flying the aerotech J570 at lucerne! The k627 will be flown in Vegas with tripoli. You are actually not even allowed to fly Loki reloads at FAR. It has to do with certifications and taxes or something along those lines. You can make your own EX prop and fly loki cases at FAR but I cant do that for a cert anyways. Aerotech it is for california launches!

Alright so recovery... This is going to be pretty long winded but I hope you will bear with me. When I originally bought this kit in 2018, I ordered a lot of parts before really knowing what space I was gonna be working with but it was the black friday sale and I figured "I'll make it work". I was a little bit experienced in rocketry at this point but I was young and immature. I thought I was hot sh*t. I was apart of the liquid rocket lab at cal poly pomona, I had just gotten my L1, I mixed my first of two O-class motors for the FAR1030 competition which was designed by my partner and I. I was a core member of every rocket based club on campus. Oh how that has bit me in the a** 4 years later lol!

First mistake: Bought an eggtimer proton for a 38mm MD kit. Eggtimers are great and Chris makes amazing products! I bought the proton because black friday, it has the most features, and "ill make it fit".
Second mistake: Bought an eggtimer TRS. Black Friday, has the most features plus I could use redundancy for charges, and "Ill make it fit". (You can see where this is going now, right?)
Third mistake: Bought a Rocketman streamer for the drogue, didn't pay attention to the packed length being 7 inches long lol. J570 with aeropack retainer with the ebay coupler left me about 6 inches of total space.
Fourth mistake: Bought two 1/4 inch kevlar harness from onebadhawk (amazing product! doesnt fit...)

So essentially every single piece of recovery equipment I purchased ended up not fitting or being so tight that I worried about deployment issues. This was a very expensive mistake to make. This project was supposed to be relatively cheap and if I knew what I would have needed it would have been. Knowledge and experience is often obtained through headaches and pain.

Im sure that you could make the proton work with some real optimizing and either printing or lasercutting a custom sled but I did not have the time or the ability to do that. I needed to get the L1 students projects done before the semester ended, pass my classes, study for the L2 exam. I wanted to purchase whatever I could off the shelf and make what I had work through simple modifications. This was just not feasible in the end though. I picked up a sled from additive aerospace and planned on ziptie-ing the proton to it because the drill holes didn't match up. Even small zipties made this not fit. So then I decided to use electrical tape. This fit but the proton was too tall.
View attachment 551660View attachment 551661

I tried to bend the two silver pieces on the back which worked and didn't alter any function for the time being. Until my second pop test where the right side channels were not showing continuity all of a sudden. Im not sure if the cause was because of these pieces being slightly angled backwards or if its shotty solder work. Chris probably would know but either way this specific altimeter is not the right tool for this job. I plan on fixing the proton and using it as one of the altimeters on my L3 because it really is fantastic. The wifi arming is really nice and the web interface is stellar.

I dont need to explain why the TRS didnt fit in my nosecone right lol? I ended up borrowing my buddies eggfinder so all was well for the time being.
View attachment 551662

Regarding parachutes and shock cord I ended up contacting Rocketman and both Buddy and Ky were super helpful. They pointed me towards their 15 ft 1200 lb braided kevlar chord and oh man is this nice. It also has an important feature regarding the loop which makes overhand knots really easy on the middle loop. I purchased two of these. They then suggested that I get a 12 inch ultra light parabolic chute for my drogue and the 2 ft ultra light high performance cd 2.2 for the main. I got two small swivels with these and wham bam thank you mam, they fit in my airframe.
View attachment 551663View attachment 551664View attachment 551665

I ended up using no quick links and just trying overhand knotts through the eyebolts and the swivel and the parachute. Rocketmans chord makes this extremely easy. This saved a lot of space and was necessary after the failed pop test from the beginning of this thread where a quicklink got completely jammed in the body tube (had to remove motor case and retainer and pull it out the back) which prevented the parachute from pulling out.

View attachment 551666

Note: I would totally do a drogue-less recovery if this wasn't for a cert flight.
Possibly something I missed, but how much does it cost to do that?

Excellent build thread. Regarding drogue, you may want to consider a mylar streamer. You can buy a roll of 2 mil metalized mylar from McMaster for almost nothing, cut a 2" wide strip, and make a 6-8' streamer. It packs down to about 3" or less in length, less than 1" in diameter including Nomex. It will slide out much easier than your Rocketman, which is difficult to pack for this small of an airframe. You have the right idea on drogueless, but the streamer is mainly there for visibility. At 6k on a sunny day, you can see it sparkle pretty easily (haven't flown higher, but pretty sure same sparkle applies).

I will need to look into that tubing! I don't think ive seen it before. For the L1 course I taught we picked up some 3d printed guides from Mach 1 and oh man those were game changing. Definitely going the 3d printed guides in the future.
Yeah, theirs look like modified versions of ones on Thingiverse. The drill guides in them are a nice touch too. The Thingiverse ones were designed in OpenSCAD and they shared the file for it, so you can tweak things and/or change their design to fit exactly what you need.

Have fun!

Excellent build thread. Regarding drogue, you may want to consider a mylar streamer. You can buy a roll of 2 mil metalized mylar from McMaster for almost nothing, cut a 2" wide strip, and make a 6-8' streamer. It packs down to about 3" or less in length, less than 1" in diameter including Nomex. It will slide out much easier than your Rocketman, which is difficult to pack for this small of an airframe. You have the right idea on drogueless, but the streamer is mainly there for visibility. At 6k on a sunny day, you can see it sparkle pretty easily (haven't flown higher, but pretty sure same sparkle applies).
Metal mylar would make a great drogue now that I think about it. I'll look into that now. Ill see how the pop test goes with the rocketman chute then see if I need to go smaller.

BP still good, if you can collect it all. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is 1.7grams AT includes with the motors for ejection charges.
I know they send them in microcentrifuge tubes. I swooped a bunch from my research lab and use them to pre-weigh my BP for launch days. The ones I have are 1.5ml and hold about 1.25g of FFFFg if I fill it to the 1.5 line. So you think that as long as I can clean most of the BP out, the J570 propellant should be good?

So when I decided to put the aeropack motor retainer in I knew that I would want to be able to move it forward to be able to fit a K627 in it. For my L2 cert I chose an aerotech J570 because I love the acceleration of it and can launch it in California unlike Loki reloads. With this being said I used mechanical fasteners. I used the labrat rocketry 38mm nosecone sled guide to drill 3 equidistant holes into the aeropack retainer. I then used the 38/1080 case with the plugged and threaded forward closure (courtesy of Chris Rocketry supplies) to slide the retainer where it will sit in the rocket. I then used Christmas lights which I had sitting inside the retainer to light up where the holes in the aeropack retainer were which was visible through the fiberglass. I marked and then drilled these. It would have been much easier to use the labrat min diameter 38 retainer which comes with a drill guide that fits on the body tube (the nosecone drill guide fits couplers). However, I have had this kit and the aeropack retainer for about 4 years now and wanted to utilize what I had already purchased. I also could have just drilled through the airframe and motor retainer from the outside but it was nice having the holes perfectly spaced out. I then tapped the airframe and retainer with a 4-40 tap. The aeropack retainer is pretty thin walled metal and I wanted to add more beef and threads for the screws to hang on to. I took a 4-40 nut and this next part is important - I threaded the screw through the retainer (outside of the airframe). Once this was seated I then added the nut. This was important because if the threads didnt line up then there would be binding issues between the retainer drill threads and the nut threads. Once this was in I JB-qwik welded the sides of the nut. This was all sanded and cleaned before bonding of course.
View attachment 551656View attachment 551657View attachment 551658View attachment 551659
What I would do different:
Use a labrat 38mm MD retainer! I ordered one anyway tonight because the aeropack retainer is so big. I will need all the space I can get with the K627. I wish I had more space now lol! At least im not wasting a perfectly good retainer though.
2. Dont worry, I know round head screws defeat the purpose of MD. I changed them out for set screws already. These were just needed so that I could get everything lined up properly!

Next came recovery, and lord let me tell you this is where the mistakes and money pit began to happen...
Alright so I have a small update. Here is a video of the e-bay with screw switch and RRC3 installed! Anyone have a preferred way of pop testing with the RRC3? *HEADPHONE WARNING*

I've used a hand vacuum held against a port (taping off all others) on my stretched Mini- and MegaMaggs.
(Meant standing next to rocket, so I wore safety glasses). RRC3s have worked great, though the newer had a "bad sector" and did not record first flight data (was captured by secondary RRC3).

BTW, beautiful build, more elegant than my just finished Blackhawk38 (with which I had several similar problems). Maybe I'll see you next week at Lucerne...

I've used a hand vacuum held against a port (taping off all others) on my stretched Mini- and MegaMaggs.
(Meant standing next to rocket, so I wore safety glasses). RRC3s have worked great, though the newer had a "bad sector" and did not record first flight data (was captured by secondary RRC3).

BTW, beautiful build, more elegant than my just finished Blackhawk38 (with which I had several similar problems). Maybe I'll see you next week at Lucerne...
I think I will try and mimic this method with a shop VAC since I dont have a hand vacuum. I am really interested in this now though since it gets rid of the hassle of running extension chords and dragging around a bulky shop VAC. I plan on pop testing tomorrow morning and posting the results here at night. I will also be attempting to clearcoat the rocket tomorrow if there is enough time and no rain.

Sadly, Lucerne's flight waiver got reduced to 10,000ft MSL which is about 7,000ft AGL with no provisions for call-ins https://rocstock.org/2022/12/20/faa-coa-waiver-for-2023-and-2024/
This was a huge bummer since my plans for 2023 and 2024 are all high-ish altitude flights. I will make something that goes under 7k just not sure what yet because I still want to support my local launch site. The current plan is to launch at Tripoli San Diego this Saturday! I contacted them and they seem knowledgeable and nice so I am excited to check out a new site.

...Blackhawks are amazing kits. Maybe we can coordinate a drag race sometime/somewhere 👀 I would love to see some finished photos!

Sadly, Lucerne's flight waiver got reduced to 10,000ft MSL which is about 7,000ft AGL
Vegas, baby! It's not terribly far to Jean for the Tripoli Vegas launches & that'll get you a bit more altitude with wide open spaces. You can do all but the biggest 38mm motors in a really small 38mm MD rocket there.

Still, 7k is still good clean fun. That's probably flights up to mid-I motors. They'll still scoot fast & go out of sight instantly.

Enjoy!

Vegas, baby! It's not terribly far to Jean for the Tripoli Vegas launches & that'll get you a bit more altitude with wide open spaces. You can do all but the biggest 38mm motors in a really small 38mm MD rocket there.

Still, 7k is still good clean fun. That's probably flights up to mid-I motors. They'll still scoot fast & go out of sight instantly.

Enjoy!
This is where I plan on launching my K627! Is this your local launch site?

This is where I plan on launching my K627! Is this your local launch site?
That's where I started my high power rocketry fun, but we moved away about 3 years ago. It's an outstanding group to fly with - and Jean and Delamar are outstanding launch sites. (I sure miss having launch sites like those!!)

Sadly, Lucerne's flight waiver got reduced to 10,000ft MSL which is about 7,000ft AGL with no provisions for call-ins https://rocstock.org/2022/12/20/faa-coa-waiver-for-2023-and-2024/
This was a huge bummer since my plans for 2023 and 2024 are all high-ish altitude flights. I will make something that goes under 7k just not sure what yet because I still want to support my local launch site. The current plan is to launch at Tripoli San Diego this Saturday! I contacted them and they seem knowledgeable and nice so I am excited to check out a new site.
Losing the high altitude waiver at ROC stings, but there are still some good alternatives in a reasonable drive time from SoCal.

TRASD is my local club, I'd say hi, but I'll be busy building this weekend.

FAR is in the Mojave Desert, and has a 120,000 foot waiver, world class launch facilities, and permits to do experimental solids and liquids. They aren't associated with Tripoli or NAR, but membership is dirt cheap. They have launches on the first and third Saturday of the month, year round.

Tripoli Phoenix has a launch site West of Phoenix, and a 48,000 foot waiver. I haven't flown with them yet, but have heard that they're a bunch of altitude junkies from my friends who have.

There's also MDARS, a Tripoli club that flies out in the Mojave. They have a 15,000 foot waiver and launches on the fourth Saturday of the month.

I think I will try and mimic this method with a shop VAC since I dont have a hand vacuum. I am really interested in this now though since it gets rid of the hassle of running extension chords and dragging around a bulky shop VAC. I plan on pop testing tomorrow morning and posting the results here at night. I will also be attempting to clearcoat the rocket tomorrow if there is enough time and no rain.

...Blackhawks are amazing kits. Maybe we can coordinate a drag race sometime/somewhere 👀 I would love to see some finished photos!
Have you considered FAR (after you get your cert)? It's a terrific group of people, great facility, 120kft waiver. (Surroundings not as bare as a big dry lake, so confidence in tracker advisable). Annual dues only $35. or day fee $10.

Have you considered FAR (after you get your cert)? It's a terrific group of people, great facility, 120kft waiver. (Surroundings not as bare as a big dry lake, so confidence in tracker advisable). Annual dues only $35. or day fee $10.
Yes, I have been to FAR a few times for launching EX solids for a university team. Its a great facility and I do enjoy going when I can. My next few launches are my L2, a record attempt (build thread will be starting soon), and then my L3 so I want sites that are TRA prefectures.

Yes, I have been to FAR a few times for launching EX solids for a university team. Its a great facility and I do enjoy going when I can. My next few launches are my L2, a record attempt (build thread will be starting soon), and then my L3 so I want sites that are TRA prefectures.
Shoulda recalled you've been to FAR with your university projects...
I greatly enjoyed your thread, it was interesting to see how you handled the same problems I encountered with ebay space constraints. One trick I discovered on the forum was "finger trap" for a robust, compact eye-bolt connection. tempImagecfBiEF.jpgtempImagem1VmIe.jpg

Back